How many flights of stairs can you climb in less that 10 minutes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Update; I did it.

I was worried about my right calf seizing up and my achilles giving me grief so skipped the second half of a school play last night to go home and stretch/massage/ice the offending area.

Then did a brisk 20 minute walk on a running machine followed by the group warm up. Then we were off. I bounded up the first 15 flights or so (about 5 more that normal) then struggled to breathe for the next 10 floors. Stabilised for the final 25 and BANG! got a finishing time of 8.27.

A minute more than my boss and minute below my previous PB.

Very happy about that :)

Update; I did it.

I was worried about my right calf seizing up and my achilles giving me grief so skipped the second half of a school play last night to go home and stretch/massage/ice the offending area.

Then did a brisk 20 minute walk on a running machine followed by the group warm up. Then we were off. I bounded up the first 15 flights or so (about 5 more that normal) then struggled to breathe for the next 10 floors. Stabilised for the final 25 and BANG! got a finishing time of 8.27.

A minute more than my boss and minute below my previous PB.

Very happy about that :)

I meant a minute less than my boss. The training paid off.

...and no injuries - to you. Excellent result!

Thankyou. And a big relief.

I'll have to manage the calf/achilles for a few days. But at least I know how to avoid it happening in the first place now and how to recover the situation if it does.

And a massive THANKYOU to those on here who donated. It was very generous of you and very much appreciated.

Well done, sir !!

Yeah I was quite narked last week when he strolled up in 9.30 which was the same time I'd managed despite my having trained for it and having also run a 10k last month. As it turned out I had a lot more in the tank.

I'll be interested to how my time compares with the overall field and against my age if they do that split. Against last year's finishing times that would have put me about 400th out of 1,100.

Meanwhile huge respect to the firefighters who did it in full kit.

And the guy in my section who was doing a vertical mile. He was doing in 12 times in total over the course of the day (!).

I'm 53 and three quarters.

And I've just had a third, very gratefully received, donation from this site.

What a great place this is, populated with such generous people.

Congratulations. A great cause and a huge contribution to your own personal fitness. What next?

Be great to see more of this type of thing on here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations. A great cause and a huge contribution to your own personal fitness. What next?

Be great to see more of this type of thing on here.

Good question Mr P.

On a basic level I think people just getting Fitbits or equivalent would make a big difference. If you can't measure it you can't fix it and so on. I know it costs more to get one with the heart rate monitor but in the scheme of things £100 is absolutely nothing compared to the health benefits.

On a personal level I'm going to start training for next year's vertical rush straight away. If I can increase the number of floors I do 2 steps at a time from 15 to 20 to 25 I reckon I'll be under 7 mins.

Also going to add some 7 minute HIT sessions into the mix for when I'm stuck at home. Just downloaded an app for that.

Maybe we should start a separate thread for people who are active and others who fancy doing a bit more?

Just tried the app - 7 Minute Workout by Simple Design. Simple and effective and exactly what I needed. Instead of paying someone a small fortune to put me through a series of high intensity exercises I now have £2.39 app to do the same thing.

Star jumps, press ups, squats, lunges, planks, extended press ups, wall sits, chair dip, crunches and side planks. You can follow the exercises in the same order each time or have them in random order.

Great for days like today when I'm working at home it's too icy to run and I don't have time for the gym. And it's actually the thing I've been missing from my overall exercise plan - from now on I'll try to do one long run a week, one shorter but more intense run and one set of stairs (ie the Tower). For the days I'm not doing those things I'll try to fit in 3 x 7 minute workouts

As long as I'm sensible about what I eat and drink I should be able to keep improving my cardio and also shift a few more lbs.

Maybe we should start a separate thread for people who are active and others who fancy doing a bit more?

I think that would be a good idea, although thread discipline bothers me. But if it starts off with some guidelines as @renault12ts laid out below, then it stands a chance of continuing maybe?

Stolen this idea from another forum...just say what's happened/happening in three words.

Overcast all morning.

So thinking folks should post their objectives in their first post, and then maybe follow up by posting progress updates, plus being free to comment on others' progress? Or maybe I'm trying to regiment it too much and perhaps we should just give it a whirl?

Thoughts @Londonscottish, @John and everybody who might be interested?

I started cycling back to work about a fortnight ago.

On a normal day I do roughly 14 miles but some days I will go to a different site so then it can be an additional 5-8 miles more.

On Sat I’m doing an organised London to Reading ride. It’s 40 miles kicking off from Kempton racecourse.

If it’s too cold, I’m staying in bed!!

I think that would be a good idea, although thread discipline bothers me. But if it starts off with some guidelines as @renault12ts laid out below, then it stands a chance of continuing maybe?

So thinking folks should post their objectives in their first post, and then maybe follow up by posting progress updates, plus being free to comment on others' progress? Or maybe I'm trying to regiment it too much and perhaps we should just give it a whirl?

Thoughts @Londonscottish, @John and everybody who might be interested?

I like the idea of three words but also agree with P that thread discipline can be boring. Maybe we just keep this one going for now?

I've been stuck at a conference for two days but have a window to exercise first thing tomorrow morning. So I'm going to do my 2.5 mile-running-up-and-down-the-hilly-street-behind-my-house routine.

Might throw in a 7 minute HIT routine afterwards and possibly 20 flights of stairs when I make it to the office.

I like the idea of three words but also agree with P that thread discipline can be boring. Maybe we just keep this one going for now?

I've been stuck at a conference for two days but have a window to exercise first thing tomorrow morning. So I'm going to do my 2.5 mile-running-up-and-down-the-hilly-street-behind-my-house routine.

Might throw in a 7 minute HIT routine afterwards and possibly 20 flights of stairs when I make it to the office.

I think you would have benefitted from the brief break.

Btw, wasn’t suggesting we limit posts to three words. :) Was just thinking that laying out guidelines at the start of a new thread of this type, whatever they may be, might be helpful. Happy to continue here though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom