How many ratios?????

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andy Fletcher

Car
E250 CDI SPORT
Hi guys.

Just purchased a 2010 E250 CDI. Picking it up on Saturday

Silly question I know but how many ratios are there in the auto box?

Ta

I know yours is an E Class, but...I had a 2011 C250 and that had a five speed auto box. When I replaced it with a 2014 C220, that increased to seven ratios.

Hi guys.

Just purchased a 2010 E250 CDI. Picking it up on Saturday

Silly question I know but how many ratios are there in the auto box?

Ta
Most of the time you will only feel it change gear 3 times from standstill to top ratio under smooth acceleration as it will not be using 1st gear to pull away unless you select 'S' mode (assuming its a 5G 722.6 transmission). As per a million posts on this and other forums try to determine if the ATF and filter have been replaced, if not - depending on mileage - consider getting it changed.

When i test drove the car i used the paddles which brings up a display on the dash saying what gear you are in. The display only went to 4. then on the next pull of the + paddle the display went to D with no change in engine note. Am i being paranoid or could the gearbox be faulty?

That is how the 5 speed box works. D(rive) comes after 4.
If you checked the rev counter as you pulled the + paddle you would notice the revs drop as you selected 5th (D)
Relax.

That is how the 5 speed box works. D(rive) comes after 4.
If you checked the rev counter as you pulled the + paddle you would notice the revs drop as you selected 5th (D)
Relax.
thats exactly what it did. Mind is now at rest. Cant wait to pick it up on Saturday

Mine is an older car and when you use the paddles it goes up to 5 then the 5 changes to D if 'manual' is not selected . So if I am in 'C' or 'S' and decide to play with the paddles the above will be true.

But my gearbox has a manual 'M' setting where I can use either the gear lever +/- or the paddles to change gear. And it is true manual, no clutch obviously.

Not sure if yours has this feature. Don't worry too much about the gearbox, 5g 722.6 is a solid unit , just take the advice given on the ATF and filter change. :thumb:

40,000 miles

Use that with my negotiations tomorrow. Thanks for the info.
The garage I'm buying from says the service history is a printed out record. Would this say if the fluid change had been carried out at the 40,000 mile service.

^ If the service was done at the main dealerThe ATF change should be noted in the service record printout.
Hopefully you'll get a bunch of receipts as well showing work done in the past.

The first models had 5. From 2011 they changed to 7, I believe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's also got 6 cylinders...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom