How much do you pay for insurance

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Just renewed on my 1989 R107 300SL, £201 FC with FNCD and 3k per year, agreed value of 45k (it is a National Concourse winner with only 31k miles) didn't think that was too bad considering that I am 75, premiums usually start to go up at 70.

Just renewed my W124 E320 cab with Saga.

£165 for the year, fully comp, 2,000 for the year and 2 claims allowed per 3 years. Age 73.

2007 ML63 (Insurance Group 50) parked in street in Central London, no tracker. Hastings fully comp £440 (can't quite believe it either, but it's only £15pa more than my cover with them for ML55 up until last month.) Full NCB (I think they stop counting after 9+years) but stripped out the breakdown cover, upgraded loan car, legal expenses; but did add back Key Cover (£15pa). Watch out for excess, compulsory £500 but I've taken voluntary £350 on top which reduced premium by about £110.

CLA 45 AMG
Remap and K&N
53 with full no claims
£390 fully comp

I pay sub-£400 on my CLS63 but that's on a limited mileage policy. My E320 is around £500 thats for 8k a year. :)

Just insured my Megane 225 on an agreed valuation for £160 but that's a laid up policy as it's in storage.

just got my renewal through for my SL350... £280 fully comp with 9+years ncb(i have 25years) 1 accident and 3 points.
I can get it for £320 on a classic policy without using my NCB....so think i'm going to do that and put the NCB on the S class(just done quotes for that and it's coming in around £400-£500 depending on which NCB i use...I have 3 years on that!).

I'm 44 and live in a quiet village on the edge of the North Yorkshire moors

£1070 for both our cars on Admiral multi car.

9+ yrs NCB on one, 1yr on the second.

Surrey just outside the M25, I'm 47.

With a collection of cars ranging from a Trabant to a RR Phantom it amazes me how the quotes differ. Variables such as mileage don't matter as none do high mileage and all are fully comp protected ncd. Trabi £180 value 3000. Phantom £750. Value rather a lot more.

On the Vito:

Hastings Direct renewal: £344.32 (I've been with them for over 3 years)

Admiral Van insurance: £170.88 :bannana:

£100 compulsory excess

£0 voluntary excess.

5000 miles pa

I'm 43, clean licence.

AND, for once, Mrs Ant is on the policy too. She can start running some errands. :D

Forgot about this thread. I last posted back in 2015 when my insurance was with Privilege and was costing about £680 p/a. Unfortunately, after another set of modifications to the thing, Privilege were not best impressed and declined to quote as apparently they will only cover cars with up to a 21% power increase.

After a bit of ringing round, A Plan came up with a quote of £720 which, considering the car and the mods which have been done, I was quite pleased with. It now says on the policy "Power increase of 26%+", which will hopefully cover any eventuality in the foreseeable future. :)

Oh, and A Plan also beat Privilege on the Jeep SRT8 I had at the time as well, so they now have that as well, though the Jeep has now morphed into a Range Rover for comfort reasons. :)

Insurance quote

Just received a quote from my broker.
Car is a 20 year old SL500, unmodified.
Parked on driveway in a semi-rural location.
Currently insured for 5,000 miles a year as a second car. SD & P only.
I am retired and have had one claim in 38 years. The claim was 20 years ago.
I thought last year's premium of over £700 was steep.
Now my broker tells me that the current insurer will not renew the insurance. They have found a company who will insure it for over £1700.
It looks like I need a different broker.

Forgot about this thread. I last posted back in 2015 when my insurance was with Privilege and was costing about £680 p/a. Unfortunately, after another set of modifications to the thing, Privilege were not best impressed and declined to quote as apparently they will only cover cars with up to a 21% power increase.

After a bit of ringing round, A Plan came up with a quote of £720 which, considering the car and the mods which have been done, I was quite pleased with. It now says on the policy "Power increase of 26%+", which will hopefully cover any eventuality in the foreseeable future. :)

Oh, and A Plan also beat Privilege on the Jeep SRT8 I had at the time as well, so they now have that as well, though the Jeep has now morphed into a Range Rover for comfort reasons. :)

Was the policy cancelled or did they just decline to renew?

I have always wondered what impact that has when you go to buy another policy.

Just received a quote from my broker.
Car is a 20 year old SL500, unmodified.
Parked on driveway in a semi-rural location.
Currently insured for 5,000 miles a year as a second car. SD & P only.
I am retired and have had one claim in 38 years. The claim was 20 years ago.
I thought last year's premium of over £700 was steep.
Now my broker tells me that the current insurer will not renew the insurance. They have found a company who will insure it for over £1700.
It looks like I need a different broker.

I have never had a broker not quote me at least 3x what I can get on comparethemarket.com.

Unless you have a really tricky policy with a large car fleet or a highly modified or rare car then I simply can't see what they offer?

Edit: I used to use A-Plan, but they started getting silly expensive, I let them quote me for our E350 and 3.0i X3 in December, I just checked the figures before posting, it came in at £660 for the E350 and £720 for the X3.
I used compare the market and it came in at £292 and £317, so not 3x but over double.

Last edited:
Hey folks,

Just purchased a AMG C43 and did considerable amounts of research - ended up going with Aviva.

5000 miles pa
250 Voluntary Excess
500 Compulsory Excess
32 / 8 Years NCB (transferred from Australia) / 0 points.

£902.

Best quote i received given I park it on the street.

Well it is my renewal time have not got the reminder from the insurance company yet still 1 month to go,but looking at quotes it would seem it will cost about £40 more this year,I am amazed what some of the insurance companies are trying to pull,Direct Line,want to load the windscreen cover by charging £10 for chip repair,their quote is just about plus everything,all of them want to increase the excess,I await my insurers demand I am using Diamond,I know I thought they only insured women.

Well got the renewal from Diamond at it is just £20 more than last year so I will stick with them so £292 insures my s320 fully comp for another year.for the first time in years I find this is the 3rd year I am with them,normally change insurer every year,whats weird is they are owned by Admiral and they want far more to insure my car.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom