How much do you trust your garage?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
AutoExpress did a review of different pressure gauges. IIRC 10% variation wasn't untypical.

Is there a requirement for a public use gauge to be within a specified limit like scales are in the supermarkets?

How many tyre shops calibrate their pressure gauges on a regular basis?

As said, variation between gauges + warm tyre from driving to shops, a variation of 6psi (!) wouldn't cause me to lose any sleep.

Maybe your tyre is now under-inflated if you adjusted the pressure when hot using a supermarket pressure gauge... ;)

Maybe, but how do you know??

Last edited:
Supermarket tyre gauge vs a Shell or an Esso? Is their likely to be that much difference?

I thought those sort of machines would be mass produced.

Supermarket tyre gauge vs a Shell or an Esso? Is their likely to be that much difference?

I thought those sort of machines would be mass produced.

I wouldn't trust ANY garage forecourt air-guages!!

Always check your tyres in the morning before the car has ran or the sun has heated them up and using a reliable, quality pressure guage. Good digital guages can be bought at reasonable prices now and will remain in service for years!

I wouldn't trust ANY garage forecourt air-guages!!

Always check your tyres in the morning before the car has ran or the sun has heated them up and using a reliable, quality pressure guage. Good digital guages can be bought at reasonable prices now and will remain in service for years!

Do you hand or foot pump your tyres too?:wallbash:

Carry a digital gauge. Check your tyres at home. If they need inflating then go to you local garage and put the requires extra in. I assume you will not have so far to go that your tyres will have heated up too much.

Jason, you are allowed to help yourself. But complaining about the tyre pressure in one tyre...did you check all tyres while you were at it.

I don't trust them.

My local main stealer did my last "B" service, after taking the time to ring me up and advise a "B" was due rather than the requsted "A". Apparently the service book and service indicator didn't marry up, as the previous owner had had either two back to back "B" services or the indicator had been wrongly set on STAR somewere down the line. Either way I agreed, and reiterated with the service guy to correctly reset the indicator in line with the service history book- i.e next service being an "A" in 12 months or 17000 miles.

Despite promises of yes, and no problem Sir, when I collected the car surprise, surprise the indicator was reading wrongly.It was very swiftly taken round the back for the tech to sort (took him around 20 mins). I meanwhile spent a pleasant 5 minutes laying into the so called aftersales goon from MB.

So no I don't trust the main stealer!

Last edited:
Best get a good quality gauge and a footpump, don't trust the footpump only the gauge, so check after again. Do it in the morning when the tyres are cold and on even ground.

Do you hand or foot pump your tyres too?:wallbash:

Whats with the headbanging thing?
Of course I do - I use a footpump - doesn't everyone?

If you check your tyres regularly then they only need topping up a couple of PSI - hardly a taxing chore is it?

I have my own portable compressor, with tyre pump attachment. It seems to be reasonably accurate, I think. Doesn't really matter, I use it for all the tyres (14!).

It is, at least consistent, so I know all the tyres are equally right or wrong:) Balanced, thats me...

Please don't make the mistake of thinking digital gauges are any more accurate than analog gauges!

If you love your car, no one takes better care of it than you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom