How much engine oil W211 E270cdi takes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jackpuri

Car
w211 (E280cdi)
hi
planning to do service on my w211 E270 could any one tell me how much oil i need to buy before i could do the service on my car?
Regards
j:wallbash:

hi
planning to do service on my w211 E270 could any one tell me how much oil i need to buy before i could do the service on my car?
Regards
j:wallbash:

I understand your frustration.
I have a W211 E270 and did not realise they did not have a dipstick to check my oil.
My computer is telling me that I have another 3000 miles to go before a service but being of the old school who checked my oil and water every week, I just dont believe it. What if the guy before me fiddled the figures!!!.:dk:
Checking the oil does more than tell you the level it also gives and early warning of problems,I now drive around in a sweat with visions of an oily sludge at the bottom of my sump.
It is the most retrograde step in motoring since they took away the starter handle.:eek:

I now drive around in a sweat with visions of an oily sludge at the bottom of my sump.

The oil quality sensor would be telling the service indicator to shorten the service intervals if that was the case.

You can call up a display of oil in litres. Easier to do than explain but:

Park up on level ground (even a gentle slope will give a duff result) and wait for the oil to drain.

With key in position one (i.e the one before everything lights up) set the main display to speed and then press the dash light level button three times.

It will go beep and then a hidden display is available using up/down buttons, that includes voltage and scroll through a bit until you see a multiple display that includes oil level.

ignition to next setting, wait a bit and oil level will be shown.

If you then start car can see measured oil level dropping as it gets circulated

My W211 (320cdi) would measure the oil through the normal service menu, no need to use the above method, although it may have worked as well. I found it extremely reliable but the V6 320cdi in my CLS does not have any electronic measuring facility (just tried the method in the above link).

Does any one know if any of the W212 diesel engines have electronic measuring, or just a dipstick like mine.

Last edited:
My 2003 320cdi does not have dip stick but has tube for it.
You can buy dipstick (about £43) and use it as needed only

My 2003 320cdi does not have dip stick but has tube for it.
You can buy dipstick (about £43) and use it as needed only

Hi Mr Bakili..
I am pretty certain that you can use the service mode to accurately check your oil level...
Save your £43..
The You tube video above shows it very well indeed how to get the reading on your display..
All my other mercs (except the previous E320) worked fine with service mode, but none had dipsticks..

Last edited:
Hi Mr Bakili..
I am pretty certain that you can use the service mode to accurately check your oil level...
Save your £43..
The You tube video above shows it very well indeed how to get the reading on your display..
All my other mercs (except the previous E320) worked fine with service mode, but none had dipsticks..

No, its not available in my car:(
Put ignition keys in position 1, press 3 times reset button, and nothing happens :dk:

My 57 plate E320 CDI Sport also has a dip stick and messing about with ign and reset buttons, following the youtube advise to the letter, does nothing - but the dip stick works!

My 57 plate E320 CDI Sport also has a dip stick and messing about with ign and reset buttons, following the youtube advise to the letter, does nothing - but the dip stick works!

Oh I get the service menu up fine..
But the oil check part doesn't appear. I suspect that cars with the dipsticks don't have it enabled... Why would they ?

Thanks to Simon,
Got my service menu now showing on cluster.

Few question.
After 30 min turning engine off, it showed 6.4ltr
Went and bought 1ltr of engine oil and put only about 450ml oil in
Service menu showed 6.8ltr straight away. Left in for another 30-45min now showing 7.1ltr.
Now bit worried that overfilled it with oil.
Check normal engine oil measurement way, and it shows Engine Oil Level OK.
If I overfilled, will it show me straight away or after short drive?

Thanks to Simon,
Got my service menu now showing on cluster.

Few question.
After 30 min turning engine off, it showed 6.4ltr
Went and bought 1ltr of engine oil and put only about 450ml oil in
Service menu showed 6.8ltr straight away. Left in for another 30-45min now showing 7.1ltr.
Now bit worried that overfilled it with oil.
Check normal engine oil measurement way, and it shows Engine Oil Level OK.
If I overfilled, will it show me straight away or after short drive?

Relax..
My 2.7 litre 5 cylinder had a 6.5 litre capacity..
My 3 litre V6 has a 7.5 litre capacity..
I very much doubt that yours is overfilled at 7.1 litres..
I recon you now have near enough the correct amount of oil..:D

According to the Castrol link below your car holds 7.3 litres..

http://www.castrol.com/castrol/sectionbodycopy.do?categoryId=9024084&contentId=7073092

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom