how much should centre bore sit on hub?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pittnathan

Car
CLK55 AMG
Hi. I've just bought some wheels for my w164 ml which came off another ml of the same year. But for some reason the hub on my car doesn't reach the centre bore of my wheel. I'm assuming you should probably have a good 5mm inside to take the weight of the car.

Can I cure this with hubcentric spacers? If I do though the wheels are 22's with a 53 offset, I take I'll need small spacers or they'll poke out too far?

Aren't spigot rings for different size hubs? I've looked on ebay and they look as if they're only to reduce the gap around the hub?

I might be missing something though...

what exactly prevents your wheels from sitting on the hub correctly?

The stud pattern matches perfectly, the offset should be about right and the centre bore hole is correct. It's just that the bit that pokes out of the hub doesn't sit very far into the wheels centre hole. It only just reaches by 1mm maybe.

Sounds odd, are you sure those wheels are genuine MB?

They should sit inside the wheel by 5mm at least I would have thought. You can get around the problem by using hubcentric spacers, but then of course you might have problems with the wheels being to far out.........although on the ML you could get away with that.

What are the offsets? Are you sure those replacements were even intended to be fitted to an ML in the first place?

I don't think they're genuine mercedes, but they came off an ml of the same year as mine. Only difference being that mines an AMG and the one they came off was standard.

The offset is 53 so I'm hoping to use a 15mm hubcentric spacer, I think this is the smallest they do. Hopefully this won't make them poke out too far.

Are these wheels a standard wheel?

ForumRunner_20150222_124358.jpg

Genuine wheels will have casting marks on them, that's a quick way to tell.

Your AMG might have different hubs compared to a standard model? You should be able to do a few internet searches and find this out, or someone with model knowledge may be able to help...

Generally I would recommend people stay clear of replica wheels, and if you are using spacers make sure you get longer wheel bolts.

Last edited:
Unless it's got a petrol V8 lurking under the hood it's just the AMG cosmetics, it'll have the same hubs as all diesel ML's of that type.

I think your correct in that 15mm will be about the thinnest spacers to be hub centric.

Unless it's got a petrol V8 lurking under the hood it's just the AMG cosmetics, it'll have the same hubs as all diesel ML's of that type.

I think your correct in that 15mm will be about the thinnest spacers to be hub centric.

I didn't think the hub would differ and I can't find anything from searches. I'm guessing the guy who owned them before just thought they fitted okay and was lucky enough to not have a problem. I think I'll go with the spacers to ensure proper fitment

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom