How to correct a wrong insurance record

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

badmoon

Car
W221 S500L
I have been trying to get my insurance record corrected for 4 years now. Back in 2010 a 3rd party failed to stop at a stop sign and hit the side of my car. His insurance company admitted liability and I successfully claimed from his insurance. For some reason this has been listed as being a claim 100% against me and always shows on my insurance record making getting insurance more expensive. How can I get this incorrect claim removed from my records. No amount of talking to my insurance company seems to work. :wallbash:

Have you tried writing to the relevant insurer at that time?

One claim that was about 5 years ago should have hardly, if any, affect on your premium.
Some insurers do not even ask for any claims that are over 3 years old, and most of the rest do not want to know about anything over 5 years old.

What makes you believe that the claim is having an affect on the cost of your insurance ?

I have tried writing and speaking to my insurer who know the claim was successfully made against the 3rd party, but don't care, they just put the premium up on both my cars so has cost a few £100's over the last few years And having just changed over other car insurance the difference in quotes for that with claim and no claim is £130 so it still costing.

Claims Underwriting Exchange information is supplied by the insurer, and only they can have it removed.

Ask your insurer at the time to have the Claims Underwriting Exchange database corrected, or to explain to you why they have recorded it as a fault claim.

If the answer is not satisfactory, then continue with Step 3 of this advice:

How to complain - Financial Conduct Authority

Rayny - given your location and knowledge of insurance - is it obvious who you work for!? :D

Badmoon - I'm now curious as to who your new insurer is. Would you mind letting us know? It has been heard of for an insurer to apparently make their income by accepting policies and then charging more than an acceptable amendment fee for correcting the details of an innocent mistake.

JohnEBoy - Never assume.
I enjoy a bottle of Laphroaig, but I'm not Scotch.
I've just had a couple of pints of the wonderful beer called Reverand James - But I'm not Welsh, and some people say that I have no Brains :).
I could read from the Blue book, but I'm not a solicitor.
The black book used to refer to Building Regs, but I'm not an architect.
And the list goes on ...... :)

...OK, so you are in fact, Gollom.

:D

Je suis un rock star -
But I'm not Bill Wyman - I'm not actually a rock star either :)

I'm just an ordinary motorist living on the south coast, who has an interest in Badmoons problem. I'ld just like to find a resolution for both him and the insurance industry that lpaces them both in a position of fairness.

I'm also more geographically aware of my position than just saying 'South East UK' :) That covers areas as bad as London and as good as Hastings - Though Seaford would be my ideal choice.

Last edited:
Its possibly to do with " perception of risk associated with you " rather than any wrongly assigned money changing hands despite what they tell you?
Insurers say the reason premiums rise is that statistical evidence shows that drivers involved in an accident, whether or not they are directly at fault, are more likely to be involved in another accident later on. Adrian Webb, a spokesman for esure, says: "In many cases no-fault claims can be a proxy for the environment in which you drive. For example, you may drive through certain awkward junctions, an accident blackspot, or be in a certain postcode that suffers from poor signage, all of which puts drivers at risk."

The mistake people make is to think its anything but a numbers game to insurance companies.
No-fault claims adding 30% to car insurance, AA finds | Money | The Guardian

The term 'no-fault' is misleading because it is wrong.

What it meant to say is that the other party's fault is greater than yours.

You could argue that the majority of multi-vehicle accidents (though not all) could have been avoided if ALL drives involved were more careful, including those found to be not at fault.

hi Rayney
My new insurer is Admiral who I now gather from this forum are not the best.
On the proof of no claims from Insure which is insurer we have changed from and was not my insurer at the time , it lists the claim as my fault.

Badmoon,

I think we now know how to proceed.

I believe that Admiral are as fair as any other insurance company - All insurance companies are very tightly regulated.

When you set up the policy with Insure the claim was still open, and therefore a fault claim, so their systems will show the information that was correct when you set up the policy with them. If you did not contact them with updated information then they have no reason to update their records.

What you need to do is contact your insurer at the time of the accident and get 2 letters from them :
1) To confirm that the claim was closed as non-fault.
2) Confirmation of the number of years no claims bonus at the time the policy ended.

Email both of them to Insure, asking them to update their records, and then to send your proof of no claims bonus.

Finally, email copies of all of the letters to your current insurers.

Though I'm still at a loss as to why a claim that is almost 5 years old is affecting your premium.

Hi Rayny
Thanks for your advice, will give it a go although it is 3 insurers ago. In some respects its more about pride as in 40 years of driving I have never caused an accident and to have an no fault accident listed as being 100% my fault really sticks in the throat

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom