How to get 'MBZ xxxx' plate?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Not to sure they are just Irish plates. Mine is BNZ. Try giving a coach company a call most of them use irish plates to diguise the age or call DVLA.

Have a look at this

Plates 4 u.co.uk

In the older and dateless type MBZ and a selection comes up

Thats not bad just seen C18 SMT for the 180 and my initials £383

Last edited:
Just go to Regtransfers sites and type in MBZ or SHZ into the search facility. You can of course use any of the number plate sellers but these people offer a lowest price guarantee or price match.

You wont find them at the DVLA as they are Irish numbers, but fully legal over here. I know because I just bought one. I wanted the number 220 and being the cheapskate I am it just happened that the cheapest was an Irish number.

Look in the back of magazines such as Autotrader for the Irish cheap plates.

Places such as speedyreg are a good start for looking.

Link

As has been said before, and mentioned in another thread the other week, for the non-irish personal-type plates (eg, such as Shaun's 'C18 SMT') ALWAYS, always check the DVLA first.
Many registration retailers simply market the DVLA's stock, and obviously add their 'cut' in the process - can be hundreds of pounds more in some instances.

Eg, C18 SMT is £399 including all fees (VAT and transfer fees) from the DVLA.

http://www.dvlaregistrations.co.uk/home/en/Search/p/globalprefix?string=C18+smt

From 'www.pl84u.co.uk', it is £383 PLUS VAT and PLUS transfer fees (£80 on their own). Might include a free set of plates, but it is clearly much cheaper and less hassle from the DVLA themselves.

Just something to be aware of... ;)

Will

Keep an eye on eBay as well, I got my Irish plate for £34.00 :D It relates to my old I.T Job (GUI) and includes my DOB as well. Not bad.

How can you tell an Irish plate? Is it always three letters then four numbers?

RichardM said:

Irish plates use the letters I and Z which English plates never used, and no prefix or suffix letters and numbers from 1 to 9999

Although Z is now used in the new style numbers from the DVLA

Last edited:
RichardM said:

Yes pretty much if its 3 letters and 4 no's such as mine

BNZ ****

although they have now changed the style to somehting like

05 C 1234

With the first 2 numbers denoting the year as in our new style plates. Think the letter is the county and then 4 random numbers.

Thmsshaun said:
Yes pretty much if its 3 letters and 4 no's such as mine

BNZ ****

although they have now changed the style to somehting like

05 C 1234

With the first 2 numbers denoting the year as in our new style plates. Think the letter is the county and then 4 random numbers.

Hi

Northern Irish numbers are 3 letters followed 1-4 digits and are legal in England etc
04 D 33978 is a Southern Irish plate and cannot be used in England etc.

There is MBZ xxxx and BNZ xxxx Northern Irish Plates.

shazAMG said:
How do i get a plate with the letters first?

example, MBZ 0786 or SHZ 0786?

thanks

Shiraz

Don't know if you can get SHZ, although newreg.com have:

SAZ 6735 £485
SZ 5650 £1,345

Unless you want a new style no (needing a new style car i.e. 2001 51 plate +) you can't go to the DVLA if you want / need a Z in your plate.

Certain numbers cost quite a lot more, including:

A general rule is that the less characters there are in a number the more valuable, with number 1 on it's own being worth more.

Plates that spell names or words (without dodgy spacing etc.) are also worth a lot more.

Thanks for the replys ppl,

peterchurch, i tried the DVLA website but they dont hold Irish PLates, thats the only porblem, otherwise they are alot cheaper than others your right.

A-AvantGarde, nice find, but thats outter my budget, i want to spend around £250 lol

thanks for the posts,

Shiraz

Shaz if your looking for the £250 mark may be interested in a deal lol I could get my C18 SMT if you were interested in the BNZ plate :D

NO seriously if you were interested BNZ **** Pm me an offer :D

Hi

Try speaking to the cherished transfer department in Coleraine, they sell reg nos. at auction very regularly and would check if you have a particular request. Be nice and you could be lucky and get the right person.

Vehicle Licensing Division
County Hall
Castlerock Road
Coleraine
Co. Londonderry
BT51 3TA
Tel :- (028) 7034 1461
Fax :- (028) 7034 1422
Minicom :- (028) 7034 1351
24 hour information line :- (028) 9025 0500
Premium Line :- (0906) 5161 666 (Limited Vehicle information is available on this line, at a cost of £1.50 per minute and is suitable for Motor Traders)
e-mail: [email protected]

The only draw back with having an Irish plate, I have been told, is everytime you go overseas you get stopped by Customs on your return :crazy:

I guess this is just incase you are re-importing Guiness or other terrorist equipment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom