How-to: HTC HD2 connecting to NTG 2.5

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fast_eddie

Car
E280 CDI
Hi all,

I upgraded the firmware on my HTC HD2 today, which meant I needed to re-pair bluetooth with my COMAND NTG 2.5 head unit - so I figured I'd pass on the brief guide which may save someone else from headscratching frustration.

I'm not using the "factory" firmware, as I found the battery life dreadful. I use Artemis firmware (now v25.0) as sourced from xda-developers, which gives me several days use from a single charge.

Anyway, without changing any settings, the car cannot see the phone when scanning for new phones.

You need to put a registry editor on the phone (I use PHM RegEdit), then run that and find the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\WIDCOMM\Plugin\Handsfree\Supportedfeatures

(This had a value of 1379 decimal as default on my phone).

Change it to 1085 decimal and save, then power off your phone and restart.

Lo and behold, scanning for new phones from the car will now see your HD2.

Oddly, the value which you had set to 1085 will automatically change to 1081 but the bluetooth connection works...

Hope this helps !

Cheers,
Eddie

Thanks for this. Lots of technical goobledegook to me but I may find useful as I bought a HTC desire today and I eventually plan to upgrade my Comandto an NTG 2.5.

Cheers vibesg,

it may be relevant on other head units with built-in bluetooth, but I haven't been able to test on anyone else's car yet.

I believe the root of the problem - if one experiences it - is that by default, the HTC declares itself as a "Smartphone" to the bluetooth neighbourhood. Unfortunately most car head units will only try and pair with "phone" devices, hence the need to change the value and restart the phone.

Like most nerdy adventures, it was an awful lot easier second time around...

Regards,
Eddie

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom