how to remove wheel center caps?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dee James

Car
2003 ML 270
the three pointed star emblem on one of my ML`s wheel centers has come off so i`m trying to get it off without damaging it or the wheel to find a part number so i can replace it - is there a trick to this or do they just leaver out? it feels like something will get broken if i do

thanks in advance

usuall mb centre caps are best pushed out from behind with the wheel off

Thanks gents, I don't suppose you know if there is usually a part number on the back by any chance?

A guarded 'probably' But it's dead easy to remove once the wheels off, its usually held on by 4 or 5 sprung plastic clips, so have a look :thumb:

Or if your buying replacements and don't won't the hassle of taking wheels off, screwdriver bang into the centre of the cap job done.... Needless to say they will only be fit for the bin after.

If its going in the bin I stab it with my knife and pull it out...

If its the type with the star then the centre has a hole which you can use a hook on.

Never ever prise it off otherwise you will damage the paint/lacquer.

.... Don't blindly smash the screwdriver in, I've changed centre caps on past MB and BMW along as you place the head of the driver in the centre with a bit off pressure and give it a bang with your other hand it will come off.

Ive never damaged my wheels or paint using ths method, or as jaymanek said a knife will do the same thing just make sure you don't use a butter knife :D

Last edited:
I got one off with a piece of Gorilla tape, by making a handle out of it, sort of like this: _/\_

Then stick the two horizontal bits in my super ASCII sketch above to the centre and pull on the vertical bits. A bit crude but it worked for me, but only on one, wheels off for the others. :)

jaymanek said:
If its going in the bin I stab it with my knife and pull it out... If its the type with the star then the centre has a hole which you can use a hook on. Never ever prise it off otherwise you will damage the paint/lacquer.

Yep, it is the type with the star although the star has fallen off leaving just the plastic cap with a hole in the middle

Yep, it is the type with the star although the star has fallen off leaving just the plastic cap with a hole in the middle

Just screw a self-tapper or even woodscrew into the hole and give it a pull with a pair of pliers - the cap will come straight out.

info

James are they original centre caps .I thought the star was they molded in to the cap. The after market ones, the star is just pushed in the cap ,not very good i had to weld them with electric iron.

optimusprime said:
James are they original centre caps .I thought the star was they molded in to the cap. The after market ones, the star is just pushed in the cap ,not very good i had to weld them with electric iron.

I'm not sure what ones they are, I noticed the star missing so I'm assuming aftermarket?

usuall mb centre caps are best pushed out from behind with the wheel off

Correct, and I wish the tyre fitter who fitted my Contis did that.... he used a screw driver and chipped the wheel :(

BTB 500 said:
Just screw a self-tapper or even woodscrew into the hole and give it a pull with a pair of pliers - the cap will come straight out.

If I can find the part number by other means I think that will be the easiest option

BTB 500 said:
Only the basic plain silver caps have the star moulded in. It's a separate (chromed) part on the others.

Thanks for that and your previous post, appreciated

Last edited:
Very strong vacuum cleaner?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom