How to restore matt aluminium trim?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GLK

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
I wanted a sports gearshift, which only became available about two years after my car was built, so even though it has a factory Sports option, the gearshift is Avantgarde.

So I bought one now, but would like to bring the aluminium trim (and leather, but that's easy) to an as new condition. Unfortunately there are micro-scratches that reveal the shiny metal behind the matt surface.

I can't really experiment on it, so need an expert advice please.

This is the gearshift I'm talking about:

33466031311_939ac28aea_o.png

32752345504_89b8df41bf_o.png

Also, how do I take the top section apart - I want to separate the leather part to possibly re-trim it?

Is it not anodised? It'd need re-anodising, wouldn't it?

Maybe media blasted? Might need re-urm. :p

No idea ...
I'll get some close-ups tomorrow, maybe you can tell?

Thanks, it might be a bit trickier on a round piece with domed epoxy mercedes star on top ...

I need to take the whole thing apart...

Coming back to the [second part of the] original question - how do I take apart this gearshift handle?

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Apologies for the quality - the pics are from the original eBay listing, it's all been cleaned now, but I haven't yet took a pic of it.

Obviously, the bottom parts twists to release the handle, but I want to have the leather bit re-trimmed, so must be able to separate the top metal part and the leather section, so I can send it to Jack at Royal Steering Wheels to do his magic.

Someone must know how to do that, please?

Would removing the lever give any clues as to how it was assembled?

If the central leather section is to be retrimmed how about very carefully removing the original using a scalpel or similar?

The gear selector knob on my 204 comes off by twisting the chrome collar at the bottom, it rotates about 1/4 turn, then the knob can be pulled off.

Hi you can try a couple of ways to clean the gear knob
Try some WD40 or what I use on my chrome tailpipes
very fine wire wool and t-cut works great on it

Would removing the lever give any clues as to how it was assembled?

Not that I can see - I'm beginning to suspect it is just glued together - there are no obvious pins/lugs etc inside, apart from the recess for the gearshift lever ...

If the central leather section is to be retrimmed how about very carefully removing the original using a scalpel or similar?

He would need the leather part separated he said ...

I might have to keep it it as it is - I polished the top: the MB star domed insert was scratched, now it is perfect. In the process, the matt aluminium-like part, that looked very plasticky, became shiny stainless steel type one, somewhat rugged looking, and I really like it :thumb: The metal is obviously not aluminium, more like plated alloy.

The leather cleaned up nicely too, and now evenly matt with no damage to the surface, so whilst I would preferred a matching perforated leather, like on the steering wheel, it is still quite nice, and is the exact same nappa leather as my interior.

I masked the leather and treated the polished top, both metal and domed star, with GTechniq C5, so it is very shiny now :bannana:

The gear selector knob on my 204 comes off by twisting the chrome collar at the bottom, it rotates about 1/4 turn, then the knob can be pulled off.

Sure, I know how to remove the handle from the lever, it's taking the actual handle apart that is a mystery :dk:

Hi you can try a couple of ways to clean the gear knob
Try some WD40 or what I use on my chrome tailpipes
very fine wire wool and t-cut works great on it

Yes, wire wool was an option I considered, but it would be impossible (with my skills that is) to protect the top gloss domed part from getting scratched. Also I doubt it would have given me a uniformed matt surface.

Anyway, I'm very happy with the metal part, now polished, and fine with the leather as it is ...

Thank you so much everyone, appreciate your help :thumb:

Here it is. I have yet to fit it in the car, as the bits for carbon dipping are still being prepared ...

33521099162_9e00c9fcd3_o.jpg
32864371453_9f6bae2519_o.jpg

Not the one to suffer defeat gladly, I bought another handle to experiment on ...

Now, with all the glue gone and cleaner than new, it's ready for re-trim and carbon makeover :thumb:

32931500674_bb488883bf_o.jpg

Look good. Will be interesting to see how it turns out. :)

The mid-section is now with Jack at Royal Steering Wheels, and the metallised bits were sent off today for carbon dipping.

Actually, I sent away metal bits from both handles - didn't seem fair to the original one to deprive it of carbon treatment ha-ha-ha

Well, the leather part is back, I've re-lacquered the top star, and now just waiting for the carbon fibre bits, before I can put my new gearshift handle together :thumb:

33296299074_fe31792fdf_o.jpg

34025301621_1b5c6dab8f_o.jpg

I think it looks good, Jack has done a great job, as always.

Wow, the lacquering looks like brand new!

Out of interest who are you using for the carbon dipping?

Wow, the lacquering looks like brand new!

Out of interest who are you using for the carbon dipping?

Thanks - it was my first ever attempt at using a high gloss clear lacquer :crazy:

Someone recommended a very nice chap up in Manchester, as I didn't get any replies from three different hydrographics companies - I guess it was too small a job for them. Well, I got a reply from someone else, who had my original enquiry forwarded to him, but by that time I was already working with Stewart - he's very attentive and meticulous, approaching the job as I myself would, if I had the required expertise, - so far I'm really glad I went to him.

I'll post some pics, once it's all done :thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom