How to unlock DVD display on COMAND APS while driving?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lexie

Car
E240 Estate (S211/2004)
Hello all,

I read here that some have been able to unlock the display playback of DVD movies on the COMAND APS while driving.

Yesterday I had my car serviced and asked the technician to enable DVD display playback while driving, but he couldn't find out how to do that. He even said to me if I would find out how to do it, he'd be glad to hear about it.

I own a E240 Estate (model 2004) with COMAND APS factory fitted.

Can anyone tell me exactly how to enable picture playback while driving?

(I'm sorry if this is a double post, but after 1 hour of searching the forom, I didn't find the answer yet)

Why?

Apart from being illegal it's also potentially very dangerous.

If you have a legitemate reason for wanting to do this I would love to hear it.

Maybe a passenger (front) would like to watch something whilst driving.....

When i have a front seat passenger often they watch DVD's on my laptop whilst I drive..(very safetly too) :))

ok, whether this is legal or not is really another discussion. I can allways put my laptop on the dash and hook the audio to the AUX input... Also, is it illegal to be able to, or just to use it? is it illegal in all countries I visit?

If you really want to know, when going on hollidays I have 3 to 4 other people in the car, continuously anoying me with the fact they cannot watch their favourite movie while just sitting in the car for over 10 hours. Ofcourse I don't want the display for myself when I'm driving!
But it's also incredibly stupid that the front passenger has absolutely no way of seeing the movie, and in my case also the rear passengers since I didn't get the rear displays in the first place because when I ordered the car I didn't realize the COMAND could play movie DVD's...

Doesn't anyone know how it is done?

lexie said:
Doesn't anyone know how it is done?

Dealers can do it, but wont. Unless you grease the hand of the right person in the workshop, or if you know your dealer well, ask them to connect your car upto the Star machine and they will walk away whilst you have a 'play'.

Also companies like Braybrooks can offer 'advice' on getting this done. (If your in the UK, dont know of any in Belgium)

Maff said:
Dealers can do it, but wont. Unless you grease the hand of the right person in the workshop, or if you know your dealer well, ask them to connect your car upto the Star machine and they will walk away whilst you have a 'play'.

Also companies like Braybrooks can offer 'advice' on getting this done. (If your in the UK, dont know of any in Belgium)

I doubt that you can just pay for this since it requires the correct version of Star Diagnosis to provide this function. With this particular 2004 and 2005 series of W211 (e-class) I have read many posts by MBENZNL with clear advice on what is and what isnt possible.

The newer the car the more likely it needs upgraded version of Star Diagnose. Last week when Steve was in Australia he pointed out to me that the number of people in Europe that can unlock MP3 capable APS50 2004 E-Class was less a handful at most.

A lot of the advice around the place relates to the earlier models and old firmware.

Well, I just had the dealer have a go at it yesterday, but he didn't manage. He didn't told me, but I'm pritty sure they updated the soft. I noticed some modified texts and info on the navigation screens, and now it hapilly plays my MP3 DVD+RW which it wouldn't 2 days ago. Still he didn't know how to do what I asked him.

Maff said:
..., ask them to connect your car upto the Star machine and they will walk away whilst you have a 'play'.

So, if I read this correctly, they must have some kind of device to hook up to the vehicule which lets you alter these kind of parameters? Just as easy as that?
Well then, I'd better head back there and have a go at it myself then if the dealer couldn't figure that out for himself ;)

miro said:
Last week when Steve was in Australia he pointed out to me that the number of people in Europe that can unlock MP3 capable APS50 2004 E-Class was less a handful at most.

Well, since yesterday my Belgian S211 COMAND APS happily plays MP3. I dunno what version it is, but i'm guessing 50. As I said in my previous post I guess it's because of the presumed software update...

Hmm, if your passenger(s) are so desperate to watch the movie, ie not talking / or in any other way communicate with the driver ....

Well, Lexie... If your current head unit looks like the one in this link:

http://groups.msn.com/MBenzNL/installdetails.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=2314

it's a Euro W211 comand. And if you do have that unit, TV / DVD in motion is possible. Like Miroj said, Steve MBenzNL knows how to do the trick.

Furthermore, if you want the passengers in the rear to be able to watch TV / DVD as well while driving for 10 hours or more, how about this set up?:

http://groups.msn.com/MBenzNL/installdetails.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=2445
http://groups.msn.com/MBenzNL/installdetails.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=2446

You do need an additional remote control with the rear monitor, though!~

Greetingz,

BigSis

Yes it can be done some versions of the 211 COMAND.

Yes, I agree with 'PLOD'

Yes it is illegal to have your laptop play a video in view of the driver, whilst they are driving

Yes I agree that the question is can it be done not whether it is illegal

That though is not a responsible attitude. If a dealer adapts the COMAND as a favour I gaurantee that if the driver kills someone they will not take responsibilty for their actions. "Yes it was my fault" Is not the most common statement heard in any court of law.

The conversion is not for me, it's for the front seat passenger, yes okay if you believe that, but again be honest with yourself, there will be a 'noise' or 'shout' and you will be tempted to look. The passenger might say, "Cor, look at THAT!!!" At 60mph you are travelling at just under thirty yards a second. Just think about that.

Yes the 211 COMAND can be converted.

Yes my COMAND displays a map that can be seen by the driver whilst the vehicle is in motion.

Regards to you all,
John

John, I am aware of safety and therefor fully respect your opinion on this matter. Maybe I crossed the line here by asking this very question on this forum.

As what the legal part is concerned, I don't know yet exactly what the Belgian law (where I live) has to say about it, but I'll have this checked soon enough.

Plodd said:
If you have a legitemate reason for wanting to do this I would love to hear it.
It's for watching DVDs while running the car on a dynamometer. Happens all the time! :)

Shude said:
It's for watching DVDs while running the car on a dynamometer. Happens all the time! :)

Or when sitting waiting for the wife when she is shopping. ;)

lexie said:
John, I am aware of safety and therefor fully respect your opinion on this matter. .

Hi Lexie,
Please, do not take me to seriously. I tend to 'rant' a little over issues that I have a strong opinion on. I should have ignored the question :)

Take care,
John

Brian WH said:
Or when sitting waiting for the wife when she is shopping. ;)
Yes but the car would be stationary in that situation and therefore the DVD/TV would work anyway.

glojo said:
Yes it can be done some versions of the 211 COMAND.

Yes it is illegal to have your laptop play a video in view of the driver, whilst they are driving

The conversion is not for me, it's for the front seat passenger, yes okay if you believe that, but again be honest with yourself, there will be a 'noise' or 'shout' and you will be tempted to look. The passenger might say, "Cor, look at THAT!!!" At 60mph you are travelling at just under thirty yards a second. Just think about that.

Err, I wouldn't be tempted to look -- really.

I never knew that it was illegal for a front seat passenger to use a laptop whilst the car is being driven? Or is it just playing a video on the laptop which is illegal?
I guess I live and learn.

p.s If my wife wants to watch a dvd on the laptop whilst I drive I let her - knowing that I WOULD NOT be distracted -- if anything it would keep her quiet and let me concentrate on the road......

I mean , what about COMMAND - some may look down at the display for a moment and thats exactly the same - or worse - because they may do it more often!!

Steve
:rock:

splang said:
I never knew that it was illegal for a front seat passenger to use a laptop whilst the car is being driven? Or is it just playing a video on the laptop which is illegal?
I guess I live and learn.

Hi Steve,
:) In life nothing is black and white and we all enjoy playing Devils Advocate. I say let your wife watch the film.

I don't like to involve 'Plod' because he deserves a social life, but from what I have read providing the monitor is located out of the drivers field of vision (there is bound to be legal talk for this) then it might be okay. If she had it on her lap and you could see the screen then technically that would be a 'no, no'.

We all know that there is no way a patrol car could see a laptop resting on your wife's lap, so we are really just hypothesising over this interesting subject. :) So technically providing the screen has its back to you then you win.

Last summer a foreign lorry (left hand drive) was seen driving along one of our motorways and as it overtook a car the driver looked up and saw the lorry driver looking at a television. This lorry then went over to the nearside lane and several miles later it was seen to slowly drift onto the hard shoulder and plough into a broken down car. It killed two children and their mother. The father was further down the hard shoulder talking on the emergency phone. The lorry made no attempt to brake, or take any action whatsoever until after the collision.

Guess what, he wasn't watching the film, he was only listening to it. Even worse, his union hired the best lawyer money could BUY, and somehow he got away with causing death by dangerous driving and also watching the television. I don't know how the lorry driver could live with himself, and I cannot imagine how the father of the children copes. Of course this would never happen to us, and we would stand up in court and admit our guilt if it did. I suppose really we don't need laws to tell us some things are not really a 'good idea' and yes I admit that I leave myself open to incoming flak for standing up on my soap box again, but life is a very precious thing that we should treasure and protect. (enough, enough)

:) I haven't forgotten your point about the COMAND screen with its picture of a map, I did in fairness mention it in my previous post. I could try to defend it by saying it is not a moving picture?? but I will not. Hopefully those of us that have this option do not drive along looking at the screen. A little voice gives us directions and there is an arrow also pointing which way to turn in the functions screen.

My post is NOT meant as a lecture, I enjoy healthy debate and hopefully this post does NOT criticise anyone. It is certainly not meant to. if you want to watch DVD's whilst driving that is up to you, and Steve has already stated he would not be tempted :)

Good luck with your conversions (My fingers are crossed)

Regards,
John

Can't read DVD movies

Hi,

I remember have had read a movie some time ago when I purchased my E220 CDI Sept. 2005, just for test. Recnetly I tried it but it could not read any movie any more.
Can some body help?

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom