How to unlock DVD display on COMAND APS while driving?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My TV in motion would not work with the codes,(My Comand had been updated so this function was locked) but I have come across a tool to get it working, it plugs into the diagnostic port and works in about 15 seconds.

A simple screen to prevent the driver being able to watch the screen should suffice, though I am led to believe the the driver may not also have access to the controls while the vehicle is on motion.

However you may wish to view http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=51072
this thread as MB club does not condone any act which could be considered remotely contrary to UK law.

A simple screen to prevent the driver being able to watch the screen should suffice, though I am led to believe the the driver may not also have access to the controls while the vehicle is on motion.

However you may wish to view http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=51072
this thread as MB club does not condone any act which could be considered remotely contrary to UK law.

Quite right too.;)

Hello all,

I read here that some have been able to unlock the display playback of DVD movies on the COMAND APS while driving.

Yesterday I had my car serviced and asked the technician to enable DVD display playback while driving, but he couldn't find out how to do that. He even said to me if I would find out how to do it, he'd be glad to hear about it.

I own a E240 Estate (model 2004) with COMAND APS factory fitted.

Can anyone tell me exactly how to enable picture playback while driving?

(I'm sorry if this is a double post, but after 1 hour of searching the forom, I didn't find the answer yet)

Shouldn't such topics be considered in-appropriate in any decent motoring forum? Perhaps the moderators would like to justify allowing it as its resulting actions could cause death or injury to others. I'd rather be insulted or shocked by threads or pictures than injured be some twit who was watching a film while driving.

Shouldn't such topics be considered in-appropriate in any decent motoring forum? Perhaps the moderators would like to justify allowing it as its resulting actions could cause death or injury to others. I'd rather be insulted or shocked by threads or pictures than injured be some twit who was watching a film while driving.

We don't condone it, and if anyone posts how to do it we would remove it.:devil:

Hi

I have a w251 2006 can you unlock the command to play dvd's, as my cd changer is aloowing me to play mp3's?

Many thanks
Manni

I read here that some have been able to unlock the display playback of DVD movies on the COMAND APS while driving.

My 2003 W211 Comand came back from an Indie service with DVD play working at any speed, previously it switched off at a few mph. I had not asked them to do it but found it useful to keep grandkids entertained on journeys. Perhaps it was illegal, don't know, a glance at the screen is not much difference to a glance at the sat nav or map imo. Anyway car sold now, not yet tried it on the CLS.

Who if anyone, programs their Comand SatNav while driving, lots of attention needed, much more dangerous that a glance at a screen. We could list lots of hazardous driver activities, I would include smoking, sure most are covered under 'driving with undue care and attention'

Last edited:
As a starting point I would like to say that I am totally against having video in motion in the front displays - it's bad enough with all these girls texting.

However, I have just come back from a week in Crete, where almost every taxi has a tablet PC on a mount on the dash over the heater controls - it is crazy to see some of these drivers, phone in one hand, other hand tapping the tablet, and steering with their knees.
Really scary - especially when at faster than walking pace - and with all the scooters dodging in and out. Just nuts!!

I have a mitushbishi L200 pickup with a kenwood unit which does bluetooth/dvd/radio/satnav/cd
The dvd only works when handbrake applied
I have recently been in touch with kenwood over phone compatibility and they have advised -probably in the manual which I can't be bothered to read - that the phone contacts list is only available when the vehicle is stationary.

So a little research. I can only make a phone call from my contacts list when stationary - why? - the whole point of bluetooth/hands free surely?

The unit seems to be hooked up to the handbrake on switch which brings up the light on the dashboard. With the hanbrake raised 1 click the handbrake doesn't seem to be applied but the dashboard light comes on and I can access the phone contacts list & make a call.
With the hanbrake in this position I can also play a dvd!!!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom