How Tough are Volvo 850's?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ringway

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
2017 Audi RS6 Avant Performance Edition. Range Rover Supercharged - Lovely!
This Tough!

[YOUTUBE]u7V-G3PiRUc[/YOUTUBE]

strong

You wont get a stronger car than the Volvo, over 40 years i have had 10 of them .Stronger than the car i have now .But the last Volvo was the 850 and 740 also 240 .

I've had 16 Volvo's but won't have another new one the build quality is pure sh*te cheap plastics, hard switches, a lot of safety features dropped

RIP Volvo

Have you seen a rust one on the road.?

Yes. A neighbour had a 144 estate with more rust than a rusty thing and replaced it with a 244 estate which ended up the same way. That was nearly forty years ago mind you.:D

Very tough 850's and dont tend to rust although they are getting old, areas of rust wen they do are rear chassis rails above the exhaust pipe and inner wings behind the headlights. Ive had around 6 850 t5.

I've had 16 Volvo's but won't have another new one the build quality is pure sh*te cheap plastics, hard switches, a lot of safety features dropped

RIP Volvo

Ian, what safety features have they dropped??

crockers said:
Ian, what safety features have they dropped??

I'll have to let you know when I get home but when I was looking to replace the V70 it was considerable IIRC the knee airbags and rear curtain airbag amongst others, will let you know later in the week as the comparison is on my laptop

Especially if you stick a roll cage in them.;)

Yes, quite! I was thinking more of the continuous punishment of the front end (the rear had seen some action at some point too).
I think it would be unlikely that something didn't give somewhere along the line in the sequence. Incredible if the car withstood that sort of battering without complaining.

Yes, quite! I was thinking more of the continuous punishment of the front end (the rear had seen some action at some point too).
I think it would be unlikely that something didn't give somewhere along the line in the sequence. Incredible if the car withstood that sort of battering without complaining.

The whole front sits on a massive subframe, and behind the front bumper is a large steel plate similar to a railway line lol or lintle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aN4o8TERuoY

Where it would suffer is a small over lap impact like the latest tests by ncap. they are only a 3 rated vehcile offset, full on they are very tough

Especially if you stick a roll cage in them.;)

And other bits such as sump guard and radiator protection which I'm sure they fitted.. and I am fairly certain that the car needed some mechanical repairs between crashes, perhaps new tyres from time to time, sorting out an electric cable or two, fuel lines, fixing the battery back in place... but yes it is impressive that the floor-pan and subframe held.

And other bits such as sump guard and radiator protection which I'm sure they fitted.. and I am fairly certain that the car needed some mechanical repairs between crashes, perhaps new tyres from time to time, sorting out an electric cable or two, fuel lines, fixing the battery back in place... but yes it is impressive that the floor-pan and subframe held.

That's exactly what I meant. :thumb:

Wow ......I think i have seen that lady driver at my local Asda store parking!!!!:D

Tony.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom