I bought a personal number plate from DVLA now what?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JethroUK

Car
C220
I bought a personal number plate from DVLA now what?

It said something about V50 being delivered in 2 weeks

How do I register it for my current car and what happens to my existing number, is it still mine (to put back when I sell) or do DVLA get it?

Hi,
You will need to wait until the V50 arrive before you can do anything, this is the entitlement certificate. Assuming the number is going onto a car already registered in your name it becomes relatively straight forward and you have no further fees to pay.

The is another form, I think it may e a V317, in any event this will be explained on the V50. you need to add some details and send the lot along with your rego off to DVLA.....couple of weeks and you should have docs back and can put number on car.

The old number simply goes back to DVLA unless you use yet another form to retain it prior to commencing the above process,

ATB

Last edited:
Hi,
You will need to wait until the V50 arrive before you can do anything, this is the entitlement certificate. Assuming the number is going onto a car already registered in your name it becomes relatively straight forward and you have no further fees to pay.

The is another form, I think it may e a V371 but its early and im guessing, in any event this will be explained on the V50. you need to add some details and send the lot along with your rego off to DVLA.....couple of weeks and you should have docs back and can put number on car.

The old number simply goes back to DVLA unless you use yet another form to retain it prior to commencing the above process,

ATB

old no plate (assuming it is the original) issued when car was new then this is put on the shelf usually until u take your personal plate off and restore status quo and then the old no plate will be returned on the car.

in the unlikely chance the dvla given the no out to another car, they will issue a new age related no plate for the car so once your private plate is taken off

If there is an interesting number already on your car, it may not remain on the shelf if it has a market value, so as said, you may wish to retain it to be sure. Otherwise, I've just taken a plate off a car I've had for fifteen years, and it went back to the original.

Don't forget to tell your insurer of the change when you do it.

old no plate (assuming it is the original) issued when car was new then this is put on the shelf usually until u take your personal plate off and restore status quo and then the old no plate will be returned on the car.

in the unlikely chance the dvla given the no out to another car, they will issue a new age related no plate for the car so once your private plate is taken off

I recently took a personal plate off a car and DVLA reissued the original number, after 14 years of being dormant.

I still had the original plates, so they went back on, I gave the car away and a week later it was wearing a different personal plate.

This is my solution for keeping the Swansea neds off the streets...

So it's a bit cheeky - The DVLA ASSUME ownership of my old number so they can resell it to someone else - they should then offer me a TRADE-IN value

Hey Oh Tax man makes up his own laws/morality

If/When I sell my car will I have to pay out for my old number back /new registration number or can I have MY old number back for free?

Might try DVLA selling method when I sell the car - ASSUME ownership of their old car Mwwwwwwwwwwa ha ha ha

Last edited:
Just a quick question...

I have a personal olate, and at current my old plates do not show on any database - MOT, MID, etc - which makes sense.

When changing back plates, there will be a period of a couple of days when the new V50 has already been issued by the DVLA but not yet received by the keeper.

How will the private plate show up on ANPR during this period?

If the DVLA have already issued the new V50, will I be stopped by police for driving without MOT, VED, and insurance...?

So it's a bit cheeky - The DVLA ASSUME ownership of my old number so they can resell it to someone else - they should then offer me a TRADE-IN value

Hey Oh Tax man makes up his own laws/morality

If/When I sell my car will I have to pay out for my old number back /new registration number or can I have MY old number back for free?

Might try DVLA selling method when I sell the car - ASSUME ownership of their old car Mwwwwwwwwwwa ha ha ha

DVLA don't assume anything....They do own both the old number AND the new one.

You don't own a private number plate, you have purchased the right to display it on your car under licence from DVLA.

Have you ever thought about thinking before committing your thoughts to words?

If the DVLA have already issued the new V50, will I be stopped by police for driving without MOT, VED, and insurance...?

I think you will find the vehicle exists under both numbers and a reasonable time frame is allowed for change over.

I think you will find the vehicle exists under both numbers and a reasonable time frame is allowed for change over.

This is right from a DVLA and police perspective but insurance is a bit more black and white. I always call them and agree a time that I'll be swapping on to the new plate and make sure I'm covered on both for a couple of hours.

Easier to debate the issue with a policeman face to face than argue the toss with a faceless ins. co. which is trying to wriggle out of a claim because you were displaying the 'wrong' plate.

When I changed mine a week or so ago I'd had the new V5C for a couple of weeks before it was convenient for me to physically swap the plates as I was away, had no bother from ANPR or anything.

This is right from a DVLA and police perspective but insurance is a bit more black and white. I always call them and agree a time that I'll be swapping on to the new plate and make sure I'm covered on both for a couple of hours.

Easier to debate the issue with a policeman face to face than argue the toss with a faceless ins. co. which is trying to wriggle out of a claim because you were displaying the 'wrong' plate.

When I changed mine a week or so ago I'd had the new V5C for a couple of weeks before it was convenient for me to physically swap the plates as I was away, had no bother from ANPR or anything.

I always notify my Insurance Co of the change, but you will find that insurance companies insure a vehicle under the VIN, not the displayed number plate, otherwise you would be able to swap plates between cars and drive anything you wanted to.

You don't own a private number plate, you have purchased the right to display it on your car under licence from DVLA.

"Right to Display and "Ownership" are not mutually exclusive - e.g. Under what theory should DVLA negate a "right to display" JUST BECAUSE you have paid for "right to display" something else???

When I buy a music download (gain right to listen) they don't remove my "right to listen" to my previous downloads

Any chance you can back any of that up???

Linkadoo???

Dont know much about NPlate registration except that private numbers have been ON SALE for at least 643764782647312846 years before DVLA was involved

= Private companies were not 'leasing' number from DVLA, but that might have changed

If you can post just a link supporting your claims

Last edited:

Have you ever thought about thinking before committing your thoughts to words?

Considering some of the O/P's other posts such as "Is it possible my rear seat doesn't fold down?" or "Anyone able to read a post with the mobile app?", "Is it a broken spring?" or my favourite "Scrapped the cruise idea" then I think we have the answer to that question!:D

"Right to Display and "Ownership" are not mutually exclusive - e.g. Under what theory should DVLA negate a "right to display" JUST BECAUSE you have paid for "right to display" something else???

When I buy a music download (gain right to listen) they don't remove my "right to listen" to my previous downloads

Any chance you can back any of that up???

Linkadoo???

Dont know much about NPlate registration except that private numbers have been ON SALE for at least 643764782647312846 years before DVLA was involved

= Private companies were not 'leasing' number from DVLA, but that might have changed

If you can post just a link supporting your claims

If you had spent a few seconds looking on DVLA websites then you would not be asking these questions!

https://www.gov.uk/personalised-vehicle-registration-numbers/overview

As DM has clearly stated, and, as outlined in the information linked to above

"When you buy a personalised number, you’re buying the right to assign the number to a vehicle and display it on its number plates. The vehicle can be registered in your name, or in the name of someone else (‘the nominee’)."

The ranting gets wilder...

Have you thought about just sticking to doing cheesy Christmas stand up in run-down Southwest towns...

....When I buy a music download (gain right to listen) they don't remove my "right to listen" to my previous downloads....

The comparison with the entertainment industry IP issues is irrelevant because the DVLA is a government agency and can pretty much do whatever it wants as long as there's an Act of Parlaiment to support it.

But in the event, the example you mentioned is also incorrect... under DRM music providers can do just that, i.e. place a time limit on your ability to listen to music that you legally downloaded.

The comparison with the entertainment industry IP issues is irrelevant because the DVLA is a government agency and can pretty much do whatever it wants as long as there's an Act of Parlaiment to support it.

But in the event, the example you mentioned is also incorrect... under DRM music providers can do just that, i.e. place a time limit on your ability to listen to music that you legally downloaded.

A good and clear explanation but one I doubt the OP will either take on board or agree with!

If he has purchased a number plate from the DVLA then the DVLA hone page for number plate sales clearly states what happens next so I am unsure why he has to ask that particular question here.

He seems to have a habit of posting before thinking or he clearly cannot be bothered to carry out the most basic of searches or reading of related articles before asking. When he does receive timely and accurate information he tends to adopt either a mocking or confrontational tone and never seems to admit he was wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom