I don't want an AMG

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 65149

Well, OK, to be more accurate I don't want to own an AMG other than an SL or SLK. In MY opinion the loud engines and sportier (AKA stiffer) suspension don't suit anything other than sports cars. It's plain to see that very many people love their AMG saloons, estates and 4x4s, and that's their choice; a choice that's right for them. Just not for me.

Now don't get me wrong, I've enjoyed driving most of the very many AMGs I've driven over short distances. The SLK and SL versions, although not out and out sports cars I could at least accept as such, enjoying the louder exhausts and firmer ride because that's what they're meant to provide. But I see all other forms of car as being intended to carry mean around in comfort, preferably with sufficient performance to make the most of public roads.

When I bought my current car I had budget of around £40k. I've always wanted an Aston Martin and could have bought quite a nice used model for that money. But it wouldn't have been much use to occasionally take my octogenarian in-laws in the back! Nor would it be the best car to pop round to Tesco for the weekly shop. I realised that for the first time in nearly 20 years I was going to have to buy a saloon or estate. The C-class was small enough to fit my garage whilst offering the internal space I needed.

So, as someone who enjoys a bit of performance, many would think that a C63 just a couple of years old would fit the bill. Loads of power from a lovely big engine and looks great. But sorry, it's just not for ME. I find the ride too harsh for average use. I find the engine/exhaust sound too intrusive for average use.

So is that really too hard for some people to accept? A few recent threads appear to indicate that it is. A few AMG owners came across as indignant that anyone should chose a non-AMG car, despite it having better performance figures than say a C43. AMGs are what they want, and indeed what many aspire to. That's their choice. But it's not my choice. In the same way, I chose not to own a diesel.

I'm still delighted with the choice I made three years ago. I have the combination of power, handling and comfort that I want. I'm not defending my choice, just wondering why anyone thinks they have the right to criticise someone else for recently making the same (relatively exclusive) choice. We don't all want AMGs. Is that difficult to understand?

I thought I wanted one till I realised I'd lose my licence!

When I bought mine I just looked at the stats. The "AMG" bit was incidental.

I'd like an AMG estate but they aren't homologated for towbars which might cause fitting and insurance issues (when I asked them).

BTW not to have the fastest caravan in the west, but I often carry bikes on a rack. :) I know it's a major "first world problem" having to "suffer" with just a E350cdi but I manage somehow.

Is there any point to this thread?

I don't want a dose of the pox but I don't make a scene over it.

I think that todays fashion for ultra low profile tyres, combined with harsh suspension makes day to day driving on our pot holed and speed humped covered roads most unpleasant.

I like the idea of a sporty exhaust and taught handling characteristics but not at the expense of comfort and ride so unless the car has some form of adaptive suspension I would also steer clear is it would ruin the ride for 99% of my driving.

The AMG bit is irrelevant since the moniker doesn't actually mean an awful lot anymore. Often it refers to little more than a trim level.

Last edited:
As my sig shows E280 for work E55 for play, however once the pipe and slippers go on the 55 just blends in under the radar, stock exhaust is the quietest in the range so unless you floor it its just another old fart in a merc.

I know which car i would prefer to commute in, the deep large soft heated leather seat and the floaty airmatic soaking up the miles, friends have commented but why have 2 e classes that are the same (even colour) but they are not, both are like chalk and cheese and i am not talking performance here, the overall comfort levels of the older merc easily beat the much younger 280.

When the E55 was first released commentators and reviewers in the majority stated the car was the ultimate in stealth, and that's the way i like it.

No need to be shouty:D

pointless

I wanted an AMG so I bought one. You don't so that's fine. No issues at all with that.

My reasons were, like my Ginger friend says up there, it's unobtrusive, blends in with the background and, to 99% of the population is a German taxi. It's also comfy, quiet (well, mine isn't now but that's through choice) and quite nippy if you do happen to want to press on a bit. Spike mentions the low profile tyres and the harsh suspension, which are a feature of most modern cars now unfortunately, but personally I don't mind either of these.

I think the problem is not AMG itself, but all "sporty" cars. I drifted away from Mercedes for a while, coming back via a Jaguar XFR. This was just as hard a ride, if not more so, but people still buy them. Let's face it, if we all liked the same thing it would be a pretty boring place out there.

Off to start a thread entitled I don't want an RS6.

I was not sure if this was a rant or a review?....It must just be me then i am 50 years old and would love a shouty firm car for weekends as long as the top comes off!:rock: You only live once!

Tony.

The point is the OP finds the ride and noise intrusive and i would agree as he relates this to the 63 variant, maybe the older AMG's would be more suitable, not everyone desires a shouty look at me harsh ride.

The OP also has his opinions which should be respected, its up to other forum members to impart alternative solutions or experience regarding his thread.

Anyway I also run the 280 to save on fuel costs to bank for the sbc/airmatic....future failures for the beast:D

I should point out that it wouldn’t surprise me if different markets have different wheel / tyre and suspension set ups so in some countries the AMG may not be so harsh as in the UK in the same vein as the “sport” versions with AMG body kits are not so desirable in other countries as they are here

I feel OP doth protest too much

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom