I fancy a soft top for summer....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DSM10000

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
E32O CDi Sport, MX5 1.8 Sport, Range Rover 5.0 SC, BMW X1
Just looking for a summer car, not looking for new or exotic but no budget as such either. If I find something older and interesting then that would be good.

Spotted this today:Used Bmw 3 Series Convertible 328i 2dr in High Wycombe, . | Stylish Motors

2 owners, the last "mature" one for 11 years although it has clearly had some modifications with the suspension brace, open air filter, "M3 style" mirrors and "upgraded" dials etc. Still looks tidy for an 18 year old car though. Any known issues with this 3 series?

Other suggestions welcome, 2 or 4 seats front or rear wheel drive although a powered hood is preferred:thumb:

At the bottom of the ad :

Please note
The information displayed above describes the typical specification of the most recent model of this vehicle. It is not the exact specification for the actual vehicle being offered for sale which may vary. Specifications for older models may also vary. Please contact us prior to purchase to confirm the exact specification of this vehicle.

Looks a tidy motor for not a lot of money - downside is it's a *** (sorry, swear filter got that!).

The hood - particularly the rear window looks "odd" - can't put my finger or it, but I'd bet it's not OEM.

I'd guess the "same mature owner" was the first as a mature person isn't likely to lower, strut brace, upgraded sound etc

Apart from that, as above - a lot of car for the money. If it drives as well as it looks it's a bargain

Lots of problems with the BMW 2.8 engine around that vintage because of inferior cylinder linings on the aluminium blocks I believe. Very expensive when they blew up, as lots of them did when they hadn't been serviced to the schedule. Well worth checking.

I have almost totalled many of these... They are so light on the back end and no form of traction control...

Good fun though...

How about a nice classic Golf Gti Mk1 convertible, nicely repainted, lovely wheels, new leather covered Recaros, new hood, use for a summer and sell on without real depreciation. Will go round a corner without killing you too!

I know someone who has one for sale...Mr Morgan's Golf Gti

MGTF's are cheap as chips. Cant beat a 107 SL tho :thumb:

W208 CLK Cabrio is a proper future classic in the making and are to be had at bargain basement prices at the moment.

£ for £ I highly rate the Mk1 MX5. But if you're looking for more of an occasion then a Tuscan or Elise would be my choice. If you want a more classic car then I also quite fancy a TR6 one day. There's no shortage of choice :)

Last edited:
CLK500 Ragtop?

That's a thought! Economy is not an issue, doubt it would cover more tan 2000 miles a year:D

£ for £ I highly rate the Mk1 MX5. But if you're looking for more of an occasion then a Tuscan or Elise would be my choice. If you want a more classic car then I also quite fancy a TR6 one day. There's no shortage of choice :)

I tried an MX5, lovely handling, steering, gear change etc but at over 6! 2" they are really tight :D

MGTF's are cheap as chips. Cant beat a 107 SL tho :thumb:

W208 CLK Cabrio is a proper future classic in the making and are to be had at bargain basement prices at the moment.

MGTF 's are real money pits when things do go wrong and unsure if it is just coincidence but two friends had MGTF's that caught fire, one was left a burnt out wreck on the M27..

The BMW is no longer on the website, I do recall driving one years ago and it was "entertaining" in the wet:bannana:
Madam has vetoed a TVR because "they are dangerous and noisy:D

A 208 cabriolet is a very good idea.

How about an early SLK?

How about an early SLK?

I find them too small for me to get comfortable although it was a relatively new one I sat in, I could not get the relationship between seat and pedals to suit and I was also too close to the roof.

If you're after a 'normal' but I hope, also with a sense of occasion, then how about a S2000? A real Jackle and Hyde car, something for him, something for her.

Lots of problems with the BMW 2.8 engine around that vintage because of inferior cylinder linings on the aluminium blocks I believe. Very expensive when they blew up, as lots of them did when they hadn't been serviced to the schedule. Well worth checking.

The Nikasil liner issue will be sorted by now...

I have almost totalled many of these... They are so light on the back end and no form of traction control...

Good fun though...

They were fitted with ASC+T which is Active Stability Control and Traction. Not as sophisticated as more current versions but they did have it.

I never lost the rear end of my 328i Sport although I never lost it on the M3 Evo either albeit that had an LSD.

Saab 9-3. Last Vectra-in-a-posh-frock variant, 2.8 or 2.0 big turbo version. Reliable, fast enough and four seats. Best of all, cheap as chips.

But bulkhead flexing issues, pretty though :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom