I got a bit carried away and ended up here!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

u brain

Car
SL65, SLK350
Hi everyone!

This seems a nice place, so this is how I got here - the story begins last November.
The wife's been driving the kids around in a Ford KA for 10 years - it was her choice, honest: said she liked it! Anyway, it was on its last legs and she was saying silly things like, "Aren't those Fiat 500's cute?" :doh:

Meanwhile... I was looking for a van for work.
On the phone one day she said, "I saw a nice Mercedes; looked like it would do the job"
"What model?" I asked.
"Oh I don't know" she said, "I think it began with an 'S'"
"Great!" I went, "for all I can tell, it was an SLK"
"What's that?"
"Look it up" (She had once said it was her favourite car)

A few minutes late I get a text "Yeah! Stuff the skis, get one of those"
"OK" I wrote back... (oops! That's just the first time I got a bit carried away)

Well, the kids are borderline grown-ups now - we rarely need to take them both to the same place at the same time.
So, suddenly she's 'cool Mum' in her little black SLK350. All her friends are jealous and I've got enough brownie points to get me through an entire Winter!
I got my van and trucked down to the Alps and back a few times: all good!

In comes Spring: she's got the hang of the fact that there's acceleration to play with and I find myself looking at the SLK55 thinking, "I like the whole AMG thing going on there"
She agreed, in principle, that it might be worth test driving something.
But I'd got a bit distracted. with questions like "So what is the difference between an SLK55 and an SL55" - I'm showing her the SL500 in our street (and she's liking the wooden panels ;) ) and then I got wind of the SL600, oh dear - with my taste things AMG, U can see where this is going :dk:

So... last weekend, I got a bit carried away (again) and made something of an impulse purchase in the form of an '04 SL65!
Chilled, chatting with the vendor and his mate for a bit then got myself a beautiful drive home down the M1 between about 3 and 6 AM - WOW!! Roof down, unlimited power, minimal traffic and no fuzz - again: WOW!

So madame is slightly taken aback.
SLK55 NOT=SL65 fair enough.
So what with the mission creep, it seems unlikely the SL will be destined to replace the SLK - for a start, she's afraid of it :fail

So it looks like I've got a run-around for the Summer at least :cool:

However, since neither of us has owned a Merc before, I fear I may be asking a few soopid-noob questions for a bit! Please be kind!

Sorry... We've got a bit of a his n hers thing going on here - could be worse: could be his n hers Fiat 500's!

Attachments

• HisnHers.jpg
    HisnHers.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:
Congratulations that's quite an impulse buy. Some more pics would be good when you get a chance .

Thanks! Yes, it is - I'm more than a little exited about the whole thing although not without some trepidation.
Got one of the coil-packs replaced today (ouch!) (the other has already been done) and the comand needs a bit of TLC but apart from that I think it's all good.

Here's another pic - best to take photos at night, no? ;)

Attachments

• Night_SLider.jpg
    Night_SLider.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 91
Cracking car.:thumb:

Hi and welcome to the forum.What a way to start mercedes ownership :thumb:

Excellent. I love a bit of mission creep :D

Impulse buys. Love them. Nice collection you have there. All you need to make the set is a 'proper' van (Vito Sport/Sport X);)

All you need to make the set is a 'proper' van (Vito Sport/Sport X);)
Well... I organise a lot of ski trips so needed 4WD, 5 seats and 1m90 clearance between the 2nd row of seats and the back doors: VW T5 Transporter was the only thing that fitted the bill.

I hope this doesn't get me ostracised.

Welcome to the MBClub forums.
Lovely story, lovely cars, lucky couple!

Regards, lim

Well as I say, "the key to a happy relationship is to tell yourself every day that you're lucky to have me"
... but I'm glad to have your post as a reference to back my case ;)

well done! you certainly have arrived into the MB family in style! i for one am jealous.
last time i was impulsive; i bought a mountain bike...
note to self- must 'impulse' higher.

get your-self to a good indie (Ollie at horndean perhaps) and make sure they're purring properly. SL's can have a few niggles not to meantion leaky roof seals; best to have everything checked out and sorted early. Once they're sorted; well they're sublime...

Ahaaa, thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom