I hate pot holes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bambla

Was out with my 12 week old daughter today on a shopping trip while the wife stayed home but unfortunately on the way home I hit a big pot hole on the M25 junction 5.

A few mins later I could hear the flat tyre on the road and then the tyre warning light came on, luckily I got to hard shoulder before it ran out. Was a bit scary sitting on the hard shoulder with a little baby in the car.

Got picked up by the free recovery and then got mercedes recovery to change the tyre which all went well.

What I wanted to know is if anyone has had pot hole blow outs and whether the tyre would be knackered or could have just popped off the rim.
I Will go to a tyre shop tomorrow but just wanted to hear your thoughts.

Looking at the tyre it looks normal, just flat.

Hi,
It's not unheard of for the bead to be popped of the rim in these cases, a good tyre shop should be able to check it out but to be honest unless it is a brand new tyre I'd probably take no chances and bin it, or at least demote it to a spare?

Cool thank you I'll get them to check it out, tyre has about 3mm plus on it, and the spare is a sexy space saver so won't be any good for that but good idea anyway.

Fingers crossed for you but when I hit a pot hole in my last car, it blew the tyre, damaged the wheel and broke the suspension arm! Painful and costly.

Ended up with a new tyre today, the old one had a 1cm split on the side wall, at least the alloy wheel was ok.

Attachments

• image-138784883.jpg
    image-138784883.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 40
Not good, hope you didnt have to wait too long to be picked up.
I hit a pot hole at speed the other day on the A303, it physically made the car bounce ...scary stuff as i nearly lost it into the central reservation. Needed a drink after that!

No didn't have to wait to long, about 25 mins, claim now sent in to be reimbursed for my new tyre, sodding potholes

Who have you sent the claim to? Your insurance or Highways Agency?

Hit a pot hole last week in the 190E... next day flat tyre... Luckily it just put a slight kink in the rim, no cracks and no tyre damage. Gave it a few blows with a rubber mallet and re sealed the tyre and seems ok.

Hit a pot hole last week in the 190E... next day flat tyre... Luckily it just put a slight kink in the rim, no cracks and no tyre damage. Gave it a few blows with a rubber mallet and re sealed the tyre and seems ok.

you ring the highways agency and then they will pass you to the people who look after that road. I have hit 2 pot holes. One on the M25 Nr J31 and damaged the wheel and after 9 months they paid out. Another was on the M11 nr j7 this i killed the tyre but never got nothing just was so hard to put a claim togeather (even when i got the information from them) Have a look at www.potholes.co.uk and it tell you how to go about it.

Cool thank you I'll get them to check it out, tyre has about 3mm plus on it, and the spare is a sexy space saver so won't be any good for that but good idea anyway.

One of the first things I did after getting my W203 was to buy a full size steel wheel and spare tyre ; then threw the space saver into the garden .

I might put 5 stud hubs onto my trailer and obtain another space saver for it - that way the spare wheel from the car will also fit the trailer ( by mounting it 'inside out' ) . I hate things going to waste .

jaymanek said:

I have sent the claim to a email address my mate sent me, he works with people who process the claims for the M25 and he has spoken to them about my case already,hopefully with his help I will see some money back soon, will let you know how's get on.

I have sent the claim to a email address my mate sent me, he works with people who process the claims for the M25 and he has spoken to them about my case already,hopefully with his help I will see some money back soon, will let you know how's get on.

Lets hope your right. I worked for sometime in partnership with them and after a few calls and chats in hallways i didn't get payed out on my 2nd claim but i admit that i sort of gave up after i sold the car. When i done mine i had to take photos of the damage, fill in a form that was about 10 pages long thay wanted to know everything and then makesure you have reported the pot-hole to them also

Well after nearly 3 months since hitting the pothole I have been sent a letter to confirm I will be getting the cost off my new tyre back. Yay

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom