I hate roundabouts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pluggers

MB Enthusiast
Car
C250 AMG Line Premium Plus. W205
Don't fancy going into rant mode, but I can guess some of you have already been here :( It happened today as I was going to the local recycling center after picking the wife up from work.I'm in the right hand lane turning right at a roundabout with a Vauxhall Astra in the left lane.They start off first then I do,About half way around I'm drawing level with them with me on the inside (near the center of the roundabout) and then they start to cut into my lane by taking the shortest possible route around the roundabout to their exit pushing me further into the roundabout.Kerb stones here I come:( Luckily didn't quite hit them as the car hit me first so no need to go cross country or over it should I say(its a big roundabout).So this is what I get for recycling stuff, wish I just broke it up into bits and put it in the bin now.Scratched bumper,crease in the wing and a few scratches on the door mirror.Cant tell with the door too much dirt and water about but doesn't look to bad.

STA71962.jpg

I'm with Sainsburys insurance with all the box's ticked so should get like for like in the car stakes,Have asked for a merc and they said should be no problem so long as there is one in the fleet.:D

I too have a pet hate about folks cutting up lanes / position on roundabouts, it's really not necessary. Coupled with general lack of indicating all round, it can make an easy situation far more difficult than it needs to be...

Hopefully the motor will all be sorted out and back to normal soon :)

Last edited:
I think there's a hell of a lot of people out there don't have a clue when it comes to roundabouts mate,with some of them very badly designed I think makes them very hard to judge as well.Every day without fail I can see someone been cut up or even me been cut up but have so far until today managed to avoid them by been further back than they are.This one in particular is very easy left lane for left or straight on or right lane for turning right.

Sorry to hear this, and I hope you get your car sorted back to 100% soon.

I have to admit, this is a personal gripe of mine since I've been driving....people just can't drive AROUND round-a-bouts :rolleyes:

Darren

I think there's a hell of a lot of people out there don't have a clue when it comes to roundabouts mate,with some of them very badly designed I think makes them very hard to judge as well.Every day without fail I can see someone been cut up or even me been cut up but have so far until today managed to avoid them by been further back than they are.This one in particular is very easy left lane for left or straight on or right lane for turning right.
Have a very similar roundabout on the way to work (probably smaller though) always take with hand over the horn. Often I hang back and just blast it as they miss my front bumper by a few inches, or it's a premptive blast if they look suspicious as we approach the apex.

General laziness to steering, I find. Drivers these days seem very incapable of using the steering wheel and will often take the shortest route - roundabouts, bends, around parked cars etc - all with lack of consideration & thought for any other road user

Thats bad news. Hope you get it all sorted.

I always 'expect' to get cut up on roundabouts and mainly, I'm not dissapointed.:rolleyes:

General laziness to steering, I find. Drivers these days seem very incapable of using the steering wheel and will often take the shortest route - roundabouts, bends, around parked cars etc - all with lack of consideration & thought for any other road user

That's exactly what I think just laziness and not having a clue about their surroundings and if they are in front its up to everyone else to avoid them.

I feel for you. So many drivers really haven't a clue about roundabouts. I know it's difficult sometimes as lane markings are not consistent - but then you should simply treat each roundabout as an individual and observe the signage and follow it. It's not really that hard - most of the time.

Did they stop and give you their details for your claim?

I feel for you. So many drivers really haven't a clue about roundabouts. I know it's difficult sometimes as lane markings are not consistent - but then you should simply treat each roundabout as an individual and observe the signage and follow it. It's not really that hard - most of the time.

Did they stop and give you their details for your claim?

Thanks,Yes they did stop just before their exit and I stopped just past it and saw them pointing where they would stop so I just went around the the roundabout and stopped in front of them.They just argued the toss saying I drove into them and they will be late picking grandson up from school Hmmmm I wonder who got their minds on something other than driving,I told the insurance Co what was said as well.

when coming into a roundabout (unless its very congested) i'll do whatever it takes to be alone and not accompanied by anyone else (especially a damn corsa or any other learner's car). some roundabouts have traffic lights before them, i just make sure i'm the first one off the line so i dont have to deal with other people's incompetence of roundabouts.

They just argued the toss saying I drove into them and they will be late picking grandson up from school Hmmmm

Arrgghh..!!:eek:
I thought everything was going just fine until I read this bit, then I saw stars and had flashbacks..:crazy:

I had a roundabout situation with an 'older driver' 10 years ago. They were dropping their grandaughter off at the rail station and having a lovely drive into town during the morning rush hour. You know, a nice Sunday drive, no other traffic, not a care in the world..;)

On a large roundabout he swapped from the outside lane to the inside lane, I moved forwards and he swapped back quite hard.
We pulled up in a layby and exchanged details, well, he didn't actually speak, the old witch wife did all the tongue lashing talking.

It took 3 years to sort the claim..

Hope it all goes better for you..

I think the point has been made but it is always a good idea to assume that people won't stick to their lane and make sure if possible you are positioned so that a collision can't take place. It shouldn't be necessary but avoiding accidents is about assuming that everybody else is a cretin (and you probably won't be far wrong :D) and driving accordingly.

Slightly OT but another pet hate (and amazingly frequent) are people who "turn right" at roundabouts but enter a large roundabout in the left hand lane so cutting up people in the right hand lane who are exiting "straight on". Have just filled in a witness statement for one of these accidents I saw.

BTW, the other reason for cutting lanes is so you don't have to slow down so much.

Last edited:
Roundabouts are a terrible idea, the G-forces felt when going around one make me queasy.

I can't see why we don't have intersections like in the US, which are a much better idea in my opinion.

I can't see why we don't have intersections like in the US, which are a much better idea in my opinion.

Space..

And I don't mean Star Trek..

The worst things on roundabouts are the dashed lane lines they paint on the tarmac especailly at motorway junctions. Very often people get confused with the following the lines and the lane changes and cut you up at the last moment.....grrrr

Roundabouts are a terrible idea, the G-forces felt when going around one make me queasy.

Roundabouts are a LOT safer than intersections, it's as simple as that!

I thought the meant cloverleaf intersections, not crossroads.

The question probably should have been why do Americans not have roundabouts..;)

If you think the roundabouts are bad here you should try going round one in Canada. When I was living over there I was going round only to meet a car going round it the wrong way.

Jim

I like, and hate roundabouts, they are useful, don't get me wrong, but as it seems everyone has experienced, there are always those who think they can cut you up without a care in the world. Just have to be extra vigilant on your own and their behalf!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom