I knowingly drove through a red light.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TDE1

MB Enthusiast
Car
MB & BMW
Thought I'd throw this in to the hat.

I broke the law. I'm fairly sure of it.

Waiting at traffic lights (they had just turned red) at a T-junction, nobody in front or behind. It's a no-right-turn junction. I spot a fire engine approaching in my rear view mirror, blues and twos.

I look and there is no traffic approaching the green light. No pedestrians. Its deserted. The appliance is now stationary on my bumper, as there's no room to pass. I know the road, and these lights take an age to change.

So... I go left through the red light, immediately indicate left and pull straight into a parking bay, and the appliance follows and passes me.

Hang me out to dry if you will, but interested to hear what others would do.

Legally, I'm pretty sure you've broken the law.

Morally, you might *might* have just saved a life.

A 'no-brainer' as they say.

Well done for making the correct decision and not thinking of the consequences to yourself!

I used to have no qualms about pulling through a red light to allow whatever through - as long as it was "safe" to do so.

However, since hearing stories of being prosecuted regardless, I hold a different view now.

I used to have no qualms about pulling through a red light to allow whatever through - as long as it was "safe" to do so.

However, since hearing stories of being prosecuted regardless, I hold a different view now.
That was my concern. Afterwards!

Had there been cameras at the lights imsure you would have been done for it.

Rightly or wrongly :(

I'd have done the same and worried about it afterwards.
Given the circumstances it would be bad luck to be convicted after hearing the facts.

I've bumped up kerbs and winced to let them past before now, but first time I've took a flyer like this.

Would prefer a TS10 or whatever it is than worrying about the consequences of holding them up.

Thanks guys :thumb:

Did the same to let a police car through a number of years ago, got a thank you wave out of their window as they went past. I'd do it again, camera or not, if the road conditions were safe to do so.

Search my thread on this SWMBO did exactly this and got caught on a red light camera, got the NIP sent it back with an explanation, explanation rejected 3 points and £60 or court

No brainer as most if you know what she does elects to go to court appearance in front of the beak and loses

Appeals with her pal a QC and the CPS drop the case citing no evidence

As they say the law is an ass

Apparently the fine and points for obstructing an emergency vehicle is worse than TS10 as it should be

Last edited:
I doubt that you will hear anything over this but if you do then hen the Fire service can provide a statement that you moved over to let them pass in a safe manner.

Pour yourself a glass of something and bask in the glow of being a caring and considerate person :)

Awkward situation, though in my opinion you did the right thing. Hopefully if it does get to a prosecution thing the case will be heard by a sympathetic magistrate.

I'd probably do the same myself to be honest, hope you don't hear anything else from it. :)

You have just helped someone...and that is all that matters :)

As an advanced driving instructor I would advise anyone to do exactly what the OP did as long as it's safe to do so even after SWMBO's bad experience, anyone with half an ounce of common sense can see it is the correct thing to do.

I'd like to think if that emergency vehicle was on its way to me or my loved ones people would have the sense to get out of its way even if it meant a minor traffic violation

Last edited:
TDE.

Now you've admitted it you will be in a cell with Rolfie before the week is out.

TDE.

Now you've admitted it you will be in a cell with Rolfie before the week is out.
Que sera

Selling the illustrations should help me pay for next lube change..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom