I need another track car, M3.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Ah, I didn't read your post properly, sorry. Lap belts anchor to eyebolts underneath the seat attached to the floor mounts.

Thanks. Personally I favour them on the sill and tunnel. Risk of crushing the sides of the seat in maybe as you have them now.

I suspect Peter's body will give up long before the seat does. The pelvic load for FIA seat accreditation is around 1.5 tons, and that's testing for measured deflection, not to destruction.

I get your point Gazz - can't see what the lap straps connect to.

Any reason you have gone for 4 point, not 6?

I have 6 point, not installed the crutch belts yet as I somehow lost the nuts for half the eyebolts I bought, and of course they're imperial 7/16ths thread so none of my spares could be used. They'll be in soon enough.:thumb:

Thanks. Personally I favour them on the sill and tunnel. Risk of crushing the sides of the seat in maybe as you have them now.

I hear you, but I don't want to invest that much into the chassis as I may need to return this car to standard one day. Everything I've done so far can be reversed or replaced easily. The seats are FIA tested/approved and feel really strong around the base, not expecting any issue there.

I suspect Peter's body will give up long before the seat does. The pelvic load for FIA seat accreditation is around 1.5 tons, and that's testing for measured deflection, not to destruction.

What a cheerful subject :D When the seats come out again for the crutch belts I'll look into the anchor points again.

Failed to get a pic, but last week all the various bushes and mounts were changed for either solid or very stiff ones. A few adjustable control arms to allow a more aggressive geo setup than the standard stuff allows.

Solid diff mounts now make it sound like a proper race car :cool: lots of diff shriek as the speed rises.

The car feels more direct when steering and turning, which is to be expected.

I also installed an AiM Solo Datalogger and SmartycamHD.

1574kg with half a tank of fuel. Fat git.

These are 1655kg with full tank (60l) as standard. A lightweight battery and Akrapovic exhaust would remove another 40+kg if I wanted to chase all the kilos.

Setup was miles out, pretty much everything was wrong lol. Should feel miles better tomorrow at Bedford.

Last edited:
Great day at Bedford and the rain didn't appear, save for a few drops around midday which dried up quickly.

This is the best lap of the day, Jon got a 2:43 with me a few seconds back, the git.

Smartycam bit dark compared to a GoPro, I'm going to try and fix that for next time out, few tweaks needed to the mount for the datalogger also.

https://youtu.be/X270CfywQ1w

Your pal certainly likes to use the full width of the track Pete!

Ha, standard Bedford lines, there were two wheels on the track at all times so all legit as there's lots of time in the kerbs.

2:43 is very quick around this track and seeing he lost at least 2 whilst waiting until after the corner to pass the Clio at 1:26 then there's a 2:41 possible which is really really quick. Only things faster are single seaters and Radicals/X-Bows/big Caterhams etc. I'm really happy with how the car is handling and is a result of choosing the best suspension I was willing to pay for and other choice components.

Out of interest, did you take the E63 round the same track?

Out of interest, did you take the E63 round the same track?

No, only sighting laps. The E63 would be a handful around this track for sure. :eek:

Great photos from this track day. Can even see the CF weave in the rear wing in some of them.

This is how I roll, I chat whilst crew works.

One of my friends wanted to know what the race start was like, I've never tried it so let him have a go.

Let's just say it's not the most sophisticated system ever :D

https://youtu.be/HyHUduj1v_U

Peter DLM said:
One of my friends wanted to know what the race start was like, I've never tried it so let him have a go. Let's just say it's not the most sophisticated system ever :D https://youtu.be/HyHUduj1v_U

Sounds fantastic... there was quite a few v8 m3s going around spa last week. Some of them had good set ups and were putting in decent times.

Didn't speak to any of the owners though as they were German and not keen to mix.

I'll be at the ring again and Spa for the first time, maybe this year. The Intrax coilovers I have are specifically Nurburgring spec.

The car handles really well as the recent Bedord lap proves, I can't wait to try it over there.

Peter DLM said:
I'll be at the ring again and Spa for the first time, maybe this year. The Intrax coilovers I have are specifically Nurburgring spec. The car handles really well as the recent Bedord lap proves, I can't wait to try it over there.

Spa is a great track... I wouldn't personally go with bookatrack though. RMA or a club run day are much better. We recently did the lancer day (was only 3 or so evos there) and it was probably the best run day I've been to out there.

Spa is a great track... I wouldn't personally go with bookatrack though. RMA or a club run day are much better. We recently did the lancer day (was only 3 or so evos there) and it was probably the best run day I've been to out there.

I love RMA track days, their approach to driving standards and track etiquette is very refreshing. It's a shame they don't have any weekend dates this year.

It's been 5 or 6 track days since I changed the big-end bearings so it was time to refresh the oil. I want to start trending the engine's wear and use of oil so I'm using an oil analysis service.

First sample is below. Everything looks good, but the silicon presence could mean anything from a knackered air filter to silicone from the bearing service. I'll change the air filter anyway, just in case.

Evening session at Brands last Wednesday. Very warm evening and there were slightly too many cars around so one was very lucky to get a clear lap in.

I let my buddy Mike have a session in the car as he always wanted to know what an E92 M3 on slicks would be like. After suffering some understeer into Graham Hill bend, it turns out that the fronts had 30psi in, which is around 4-5 too much, this car shouldn't understeer with slicks, albeit old BTCC slicks.

Video below are the two best laps from the evening. It looks from the outside that I should be trying harder, and this is proven by the data somewhat, so I'm going to get braver on the gas and brakes next time out. Data also reveals that if the best sectors from me and Mike had been driven on the same lap then a 52.635 sec lap would be the result, and that is a quick lap around Brands.

If the car sounds quieter than usual, that's because it is. I have to run the pea-shooter baffle inserts to meet the 98db limit and this strangles the engine somewhat also.

https://youtu.be/oUM90m56wbE

Popped into Bedford on Saturday as a lot of the M3Cutter's forum were there. I wasn't feeling 100% so cba to load the car with tyres or tools and just took it as it is on the AD08r road tyres.

Morning session was slippery and cold, plus it started getting wet when this video was taken, I was cooling down when a couple of the lads came by so I decided cooling down could wait. Gearbox started overheating at the end though, I need a new cooler for it.

Both E46s are wearing slicks.

https://youtu.be/l9fvPAtgrBY

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom