I need more bass!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nomiS36

Car
Focus st250
Yes I know exhausts have been discussed a thousand times so I apologise to anybody that takes offence.
Right, now that's out the way I'll continue [emoji4]
The E55k sounds great for stock but a bit bass and a few more db's wouldn't go amiss. I don't want to spend a fortune on headers and/or rear silencers so a resonator delete is my way forward, that's a given. My questions are while they're cutting the resonators out should I have the secondary cats removed too? Will that cause me grief come mot time re. emissions? Lastly, what difference does an X pipe make over simpler therefore cheaper straight pipes?
I have searched for answers to these specific questions but can't find anything definitive.

Last edited:
Have a search on FB for Pauls Car Welding... He does a back box mod for a couple of hundred ... He comes highly recommended

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't do fakebook [emoji17] I'll give him a Google though [emoji1360]
I do have a place near me, custom pipes, doncaster that are supposed to be pretty good. I just wanted half an idea what to ask for.

Don't do fakebook [emoji17] I'll give him a Google though [emoji1360]
I do have a place near me, custom pipes, doncaster that are supposed to be pretty good. I just wanted half an idea what to ask for.

You don't need to join Facebook to check things out...

https://www.facebook.com/Paulscarwelding/

...and it's the back boxes on the E55 that are the biggest issue which really need looking at first before you start on the resonator etc.

Last edited:
Fair old trek from doncaster to MK. He's got some good reviews though.

...and it's the back boxes on the E55 that are the biggest issue which really need looking at first before you start on the resonator etc.

This is true. For some reason MB decided to put far more effort into silencing the rear boxes on an E55 in comparison to the CL, CLS and SL55's.

I had the resonator and secondary cats removed and a x-pipe put in and it does improve the tone a lot on acceleration. But its not a C63:(

Don't mess with the rear boxes removing wadding as it will drone at certain speeds/revs. Get the secondaries and resonator removed, x-pipe done and see how you like it. That may be enough for you, but if not, and you don't want to change the headers, go for CLS55 or C63 rear boxes.
That should give you all the noise you need.

Re secondary cats and MOT time, yes its illegal but I know of nobody having this work done who has had an MOT failure. If the emissions are OK, no problem I found after 2 MOT's.

Finally, I can thoroughly recommend Imran at Torqueflow for the work. Explain the sound you want and he can produce it. He works from within MSL factory in Birmingham. I drove 160 miles there and didn't regret it.
I have photos of the work done on various threads.

Home | Torqueflow Bespoke Performance Exhaust Systems in Birmingham, Midlands
MSL Performance

Are you referring to Top Gear exhausts?

No, I have used them in the past as they are powerflow dealers. The other place in doncaster, Carr hill to be precise is called custom pipes and they do have a good reputation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

More bass? Sorry i couldn't resist :D

Emp performance (top gear/power flow) removed my resonator did the X pipe and secondary cats..... When Simon started the car I thought he had forgotten to do it!!! :fail so I have since removed the rear boxes and took out the wadding! It's much better but probably still not enough for me :D I am thinking about headers next :thumb:

Last edited:
That sounds good. C63 boxes eh? Are they a direct fit then?

That sounds good. C63 boxes eh? Are they a direct fit then?

Just have to cut the hangers off and reweld them in a different position.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom