I need to buy a new bed so much choice Help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ioweddie

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
AMG Line Premier Plus Estate C220d
Its easier to choose a new Mercedes than pick a suitable bed, so much choice, I think I want a pocket sprung divan 4ft 6inch with a faux leather headboard and 4 drawer storage, but then should I get a 5ft, what about individual mattresses on a double/king size. Any advice please. :dk:

We changed to a geltec super king last year, lots of room and very comfortable.

A mate of mine and his wife bought a water bed which he says was the cause of his marriage break up.

Things were ok at first, but after a while, they just seemed to drift apart.

If the budget allows, buy the bed that Ibis hotel sells... It's amazing! Circa £1200 for the whole thing and mattress though

It's big decision - I'd sleep on it...

We changed to a very expensive memory foam mattress a few years ago. 4 weeks and a bad back later it got listed on eBay and we went for a pocket sprung mattress from groupon for just £199

What a bargain. Slept like babies ever since.

Ant.

If you are hot in the night, avoid memory foam, as it just makes things worse. A traditional mattress will "breathe" better.

5ft is so much more spacious than 4ft6 - if you have space in the bedroom then certainly go for it.

We have a 6ft Super King - when building work put us into the 5ft in the spare room we really missed that extra foot. It's a bit of luxury, and considering how much of your life is spent in bed it's worth it.

I get 1ft6. Ms Meldrew gets the rest.

Following the premise that you should always buy good shoes and a good bed because of you're not in one, you're in the other, we bought an Artisan mattress for our existing bed from John Ryan Luxury Single, Double & King size Mattresses | John Ryan by Design and it has been superb for both of us despite the significant difference in body weight.

We choose different spring strengths for each side, obviously. They make divan bases as well and even if you order online, someone calls to check your order and to ensure you are making the right spring weight choices i.e. they are very helpful and conscientious. It is quite a lot money but the quality and feel is obvious.

On the downside, as with any buy at a distance product, you don't get to try before you buy.

We buy beds & mattress separately. Bed is more of a "fashion statement" or "decorative item"
Mattress is bought from a local manufacturer. Currently have 5', memory foam over pocket springs with a slatted base. Memory foam is a bit warm though.

We're considering getting some new beds, too. I'm feeling inclined to build the bases myself and then get good quality mattresses to go on top.

We bought a Tempur Celebrity about 6 years ago and it is without doubt the most comfortable bed I've ever had. This one has a soft top 50mm then a firmer very thick base.

We bought a Tempur Celebrity about 6 years ago and it is without doubt the most comfortable bed I've ever had. This one has a soft top 50mm then a firmer very thick base.

It better be...a Super King is about £3K.

It better be...a Super King is about £3K.

They did offer the trial which we took because there are some very negative and also some very positive reports on them. Most of the beds we looked at in John Lewis were all around the £2.5-£4K price range

ringway said:
A mate of mine and his wife bought a water bed which he says was the cause of his marriage break up. Things were ok at first, but after a while, they just seemed to drift apart.

Absolutely brilliant! I bet they got sea sick of each other.

I bought my (full) memory foam Super King mattress around 8 years ago at a cost of £700 from Benson beds. The frame was a further £400 and nothing special however I have no complaints even after all these years. Mattress is turned monthly and I have no cause to claim on their (still valid) warranty that there will be no sagging for at least 10 years. Definitely recommend it.

Meldrew2 said:
5ft is so much more spacious than 4ft6 - if you have space in the bedroom then certainly go for it. We have a 6ft Super King - when building work put us into the 5ft in the spare room we really missed that extra foot.

We were "spoiled" in Germany as everything was 2m square so Mrs. 203 still finds a 5ft 2" bed tiny!

We were "spoiled" in Germany as everything was 2m square so Mrs. 203 still finds a 5ft 2" bed tiny!

Oh dear...our bed, a king size is 32.5 feet square...that's just over 3 metres square.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom