I ruined my new tail tips! DOH!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Adam230K

MB Enthusiast
Car
German oil burner
I was wanting to remove the "limescale"-like substance off the amg chrome tips and i used a wire brush and wrecked it (please feel free to bash me about it, because i thoroughly deserve it), i thought for a second that the colour is a pure colour metal, when its chrome LOL.

So i was wondering, if anyone knew of any place where i could get them sanded and re-chromed?

Help is, as always, much appreciated fellas.

Should i just take it to a place where they refurbish wheels? :confused:

No. Look in the Yellow pages for a local chrome plating company.
Better still get some stainless steel tips, they will never corrode.

Oh, and don't let some donkey with a wire brush near them....

:crazy: :eek:

dont know if you could buff them up again yourself? Scratch remover + polish???? if they are too far gone then a chrome polisher company should sort it out.

Commiserations. It's brave of you to post.
I am sure we have all performed the occasional 'less than perfect' job....

(maybe we could have a blunders thread ??)

Ouch.... I hope you have not scrubbed away too much. If its possible why not take a picture so we can see if its repairable using SilverSaloon's method or not. I guess its worth a go anyways before having to spend extra money getting it re-chrome plated.

If you've taken the chrome off then bare steel will be exposed, and it will rust. You need to get it re-chromed - polishing is not the answer.

But if you've just marked the chrome then it's definitely worth a try.

I'll post a pic when i get in today, but i think i've taken it down to the bare steel and i need to get it re-chromed... but the question is WHO will do it for me and for how much... not found anyone yet. And that company in scotland seems good but i wont be able to send them the back box... its welded with quite a large proportion of the exhaust :D.

Last edited:
May be easiest to get the tips cut off and then welded back on again after re-chroming.

I had this done on my SL to correct the position of the tailpipes. The AMG back box is designed to clear a rear skirt which my car doesn't have, so I had the tips cut off and welded back with a small section removed to raise them up. Done quickly and cheaply by a local bodyshop:

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/showpost.php?p=274209&postcount=7

I want some AMG chrome tips for my C280.. are they a part you can buy separately?

I want some AMG chrome tips for my C280.. are they a part you can buy separately?

Don't believe so (not genuine AMG, anyway). Do you know that adding chrome tips is a "notifiable modification" for insurance purposes, i.e. you have to declare them.

Don't believe so (not genuine AMG, anyway). Do you know that adding chrome tips is a "notifiable modification" for insurance purposes, i.e. you have to declare them.

Didnt know that.. :( Not a big deal or great cost though. ;)

I have never declared any tips or exhausts to insurance, when i did get asked about it on my c200 i told them that it was already on there before i bought it. You could also easily tell them that you just went to a garage cuz it required repair... its not a huge issue but its best to be safe as BTB says.

Yup. The point (apparently) is that purely cosmetic mods like exhaust tips can alter the risk of theft by making the car look more desirable, and/or have a higher than standard replacement cost if you make a damage claim.

I did the same thing that what television advised me. He said paint lacquer several layers about 20. Tell me after you have done it whether it works. :D :D :D

Sounds a bit insane... think i'll get a pro to do it rather than me wrecking it further.. ;)

Ok i took a picture of it this morning before i went to work:

I think it needs a full repaint to be fair

I imagine the limescale deposits you referred to were actually rust, baked by the heat. If so, you wouldn't want to chrome straight over and you'd likely need a layer of brass (or is it copper) applying first. Most of the re-chromers will do this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom