I saw a GLK in the flesh on Saturday..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

The Boss

MB Enthusiast
Car
private!
Hi,

forgot to mention, i saw a LHD GLK in London on Saturday.

Personally, i am so so so glad it never made it to these shores.. well atleast for sale it didnt.

what an ugly hideous contraption

Yep, ive seen a bright red one in B&Q carpark a couple of months back.

Nasty Nasty Nasty - its too thin and has no road presence what so ever!

Yep, ive seen a bright red one in B&Q carpark a couple of months back.

Nasty Nasty Nasty - its too thin and has no road presence what so ever!

I like the concept of a small SUV, as the new cars seem to think that as the human race evolves, we have all got too big for the w126 s class, and we need something more fitting ..

hmmm

i never understood how cars keep getting so big.. soon they will be like a JCB pick up for the school run.

The GLK is very angular, and looks like it came up in the Ford design studio.

defo zero presence

I saw a couple in Vegas last month and thought what a good idea they would be in the UK.

Funny how tastes can vary so much.

It's been announced the next generation will be available RHD, Mercedes admitted they'd dropped the ball making it LHD only.

It's direct competition for the X1 X3 Freelander et all.

I'd certainly consider a GLK350 cdi. Sensible car for the UK IMO.

Last edited:
Hi,

forgot to mention, i saw a LHD GLK in London on Saturday.

Personally, i am so so so glad it never made it to these shores.. well atleast for sale it didnt.

what an ugly hideous contraption

I think it looks great and would definitely have bought one if the design department hadn't cocked-up the RHD version (as they so often seem to manage).

To be fair it should be compared with similarly sized 4x4's like the X1, X3, Honda CRV, Nissan X-trail and so on -not with ML's, GL's, and X5's.

Last edited:
When I first saw the pictures I thought it was ugly.

Having seen a few on trips to Germany I have to admit I think it looks pretty good, much better in the metal.

Shame it's not on sale here.

I saw a couple in Vegas last month and thought what a good idea they would be in the UK.

Funny how tastes can vary so much.

It's been announced the next generation will be available RHD, Mercedes admitted they'd dropped the ball making it LHD only.

It's direct competition for the X1 X3 Freelander et all.

Yes, I've seen some in Germany and think it's a great looking car, looks much better in the flesh...

Apart from appearance differences, in what way would it be much different to an ML350CDi? Is there much in it, sizewise?

I saw some in a shopping center in Brazil around two years ago, i thought they looked really smart and would have taken some sales away from the Subaru Forester.

Apart from appearance differences, in what way would it be much different to an ML350CDi? Is there much in it, sizewise?

It was much more Freelander Size. Maybe an 8/10ths scale ML.

Not as high to climb into, not quite as wide, not quite as tall, but with all the practicality of the bigger bus.

I did have a mooch on Mercedes.de Konfiguratttorrr. They looked a tad expensive if the Euro price was anything to go by.

I was surprised I liked it, I saw a white one A GLK350 petrol. It looked positively tiny compared to some of the barges in Nevada. But then a Range Rover looks modest in the US doesn't it.

I like them and do think they would sell well in the UK. Not everyone wants a large SUV such as an ML, XC90, Disco etc. My wife for example will not drive my car but the freelander before it no probs.

Lots and lots of CRV's, Freelanders, Q5's etc and a large market for these cars, they seem to offer a good compromise of size, mpg, peoples life styles. I agree a good spec GLK would be pricey but then a Q5 and the like are not exactly cheap.

These were taken at the Geneva Show 2009. I like them, but maybe I'm odd I like the R class also :)

DSCF1399.jpg

DSCF1400.jpg

DSCF1401.jpg

I did have a mooch on Mercedes.de Konfiguratttorrr. They looked a tad expensive if the Euro price was anything to go by.

I was surprised I liked it, I saw a white one A GLK350 petrol. It looked positively tiny compared to some of the barges in Nevada. But then a Range Rover looks modest in the US doesn't it.

Everything looks expensive if you look at the Euro price!

Smaller SUVs in the US look silly - I had a Dodge Durango in the US a couple of years and one morning there was an XC90 parked next to it and it looked tiny, although there isn't that much difference in size in reality. I always think the previous generation X5's look small there - it was beefed up in size for the current version to suit the US market. The new (later this year) X3 has been made the same size as the old X5.
This year in Florida we were given an Escalade and my wife nearly freaked out at the size of it, but it was absolutely fine.

Mrs M has Multiple Sclerosis, so when I look at cars I'm looking at ease of getting in and out of it. This is how Mrs M ended up with an A class as a Motobility vehcile.

So this leads us to 4x4's and people carriers and the B class. I have a soft spot for Range Rovers but can't afford one right now. So something like the GLK would be ideal.

The ML is too high, anything that you have to climb up into is a no no.

We were sat at the valet parking outside our hotel waiting for our Nissan (I forgot the model) rental to be brought up and the GLK appeared, It really looked good, which was strange as I've always thought it looked awful in the pictures I'd seen.

It just looked an ideal proportioned car, nice hieght to slide in and out of and the all import badge on the front. It would sell here in droves.

Seen loads in Moscow on sunday! They seem very popular here. Not sure about it. Here in Russia it actually looks very good, but set against the weird and wonderful vehicles around, it would! I agree with Mudster, I reckon if it had been imported officially to UK, it would sell well..

Rented one a few week back while in the US, GLK350 IIRC, pretty quick, sounded nice, drove nice.

Didint' really look at it when I picked it up, it was only when parking up that I gave it the once over and man was it hit by the ugly stick. Can't believe anyone designed it, sat back and thought, yeah, I'm pleased with that.....

Rented one a few week back while in the US, GLK350 IIRC, pretty quick, sounded nice, drove nice.

Didint' really look at it when I picked it up, it was only when parking up that I gave it the once over and man was it hit by the ugly stick. Can't believe anyone designed it, sat back and thought, yeah, I'm pleased with that.....

They start pretty cheap in the US - same price as entry level C Class, around $36K, for the RWD only GLK350 auto. Guess it'll be a tad dearer here. :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom