IAM membership worth it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lynall

MB Enthusiast
Car
The silver one.
Posted on here a few months back regarding advanced driving courses, got some good ideas but couldnt find anyone local or accredited ie a piece of paper or certificate that actually means something.

Then yesterday at the kent show saw the iam stand had a chat and they sound quite good and was wondering any members on here and what does the course involve? he was telling me the course is 3/4 months long:eek:

Apparently a pack is in the post:)

I think my aim is to be a better driver, not drive so fast! and maybe get cheaper insurance.

Lynall

Hi Lynall

In a word: yes.

Both IAM and ROADA courses are very worthwhile. My experience was that I was allocated an observer and we went out for six 90 minutes drives. These were mostly in the country - I Live in Bromley so the drives went towards Biggin Hill and Westerham mainly on single track or tight country roads (you would be surprised how many there are!)

As you’re driving the observer is either advising you, commenting on your driving or listening to your commentary. My experience fundamentally changed my driving style and I get a lot more enjoyment out of it and I really enjoyed the drives.

With IAM you either pass or fail and with ROADA you are awarded either fail, bronze, silver or gold pass. ROADA also requires you to retake the test every three years whereas IAM does not.

Definitely do it if you enjoy driving.

I did an IAM course about 15 years ago when I passed my Bike test, I found it very usefull, gives a different perspective on road positioning and awareness, defensive riding/driving whilst still being safe and making good progress.

Don't do it because you may be offered a minor discount on insurance, do it for yourself, you won't regret it! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom