If you are my age, and on occasion need to repair an iPhone, or build an Airfix kit..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Like those tweezers.

My younger daughter lets me have the obsolete or life-expired dental tools she no longer uses in her surgery and they're often just the right bit of kit for little fiddly jobs. Sadly my fat old fingers and thumbs are just as often not up to the job any more, though.

Very nearly bought that same set of tweezers last week to dig 12 pieces of metal shrapnel out of my hand from a minor mitre saw accident, but saw the delivery was a very long time, even with my prime membership.

What's the quality of the helping hands like? I've had a few of these, but none come close to the quality of my dads old one. "They don't make things like they used to". Mine, the plates bend when you tighten the wing nut, and it's not over tightening as the ball joints are still pretty loose. The croc clips aren't great and the optics of the lens are poor.

This one is highly rated though. So I might hit go on one and give it a whirl.

..."They don't make things like they used to". Mine, the plates bend when you tighten the wing nut, and it's not over tightening as the ball joints are still pretty loose. The croc clips aren't great and the optics of the lens are poor....

Seems sturdy enough, heavy metal base for good stability and reasonably thick metal all around.

The locking nuts do not lock the ball joints very securely however... so might not hold heavy objects as the ball joints will give way under the weight.

The optics are fine and the image is very sharp and clear. The lens is a good 90mm diameter, too. It does not say how much the magnification is, but it seems like either x2 or x3 at best, do yes it helps, but it is no microscope....

Perhaps not the ideal piece of kit if you happen to be a professional Swiss watchmaker... but very good for occasional use. Not to mention the price which is surprisingly low.

Delivery from UK seller so did not take long to arrive.

Overall very pleased with it :thumb:

I think the last one I had cost less than that.

Actually, it's this one, and yes it did, yours looks better built. Mine was made of cheese.
Helping Hand Tool Magnifying Glass Crocodile Clips Soldering Iron Craft Kit New | eBay

Yours won't suffer the same debilitating issue mine has, which is that bottle double ball joint with the wing nut. You can't tighten it enough to hold the entire fairly heavy (given the glass) rig above still as the two pieces of metal just bend together.

I'll order one of those, cheers.

Last edited:
I use one of these

Attachments

• top.jpg
    top.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 81
The optics are fine and the image is very sharp and clear. The lens is a good 90mm diameter, too. It does not say how much the magnification is, but it seems like either x2 or x3 at best, do yes it helps, but it is no microscope....
:

Here's what I use MJ -

Great for fiddly jobs and you can roll the optional close up lens into view for intricate work.

Available here:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B006BU26VY/?tag=amazon0e9db-21

def90cars said:
I use one of these

I had a similar little workstation back when I used to paint my Warhammer models, that and a mixture of the headset glasses I think Patagonian posted

LED lights on them are handy too

I don't know how my age compares with yours, chaps, but I already use a stand magnifier I bought from the RNIB when spreadsheets are so small that my close vision glasses can't cope. Oh for the eyes of youth!

I have a weird desire now to buy this and walk down my local high street wearing it. Maybe stop off for a coffee and sit in the window seat reading the Sunday paper with it on my bonce.

That's what makes us British Bruce.

That looks like a good set up. Do modify models Tony?

My preference in rally cars, so usually no modifications.

I once did lower a VW I was making

Attachments

• VW1.JPG
    VW1.JPG
    82.6 KB · Views: 23
  • Scubby.JPG
    Scubby.JPG
    64.5 KB · Views: 22
Here's what I use MJ -

http://s1042.photobucket.com/user/chiffre-noir/media/Studio/IMG_3672_zpsjd5qdliz.jpg.html

Great for fiddly jobs and you can roll the optional close up lens into view for intricate work.

Available here:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B006BU26VY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I did initially buy a pair of magnifying goggles, but they did not work for me as you needed to have the item you were working on located a zero range from the lense which is odd. Had I known which product to buy, I would have preferred the goggles solution.

I think the last one I had cost less than that.

Actually, it's this one, and yes it did, yours looks better built. Mine was made of cheese.
Helping Hand Tool Magnifying Glass Crocodile Clips Soldering Iron Craft Kit New | eBay

Yours won't suffer the same debilitating issue mine has, which is that bottle double ball joint with the wing nut. You can't tighten it enough to hold the entire fairly heavy (given the glass) rig above still as the two pieces of metal just bend together.

I'll order one of those, cheers.

As said, the metal parts are sturdy enough and won't bend easily, the only issue is that even when tightening the locking nuts the ball joints feel a bit loose and most likely won't hold heavy items.

The lense is large and heavy but the ball joints adjusting the lense's angle and position are coping well so no issue there.

I don't know how my age compares with yours, chaps, but I already use a stand magnifier I bought from the RNIB when spreadsheets are so small that my close vision glasses can't cope. Oh for the eyes of youth!

In fact I do not care too much about the 'helping hand' side of things... I have a range of clamps that can hold things in place. I was mainly after a stand magnifier, which this unit does well, the crocodile clips are a nice bonus but for me not the main attraction.

I did initially buy a pair of magnifying goggles, but they did not work for me as you needed to have the item you were working on located a zero range from the lense which is odd. Had I known which product to buy, I would have preferred the goggles solution.

These goggles focus at varying distances depending on the lens option you specify. Which worried me at first.

I went for the 1.75 magnification option, which focuses at my normal book reading distance of 14-16 inches. Adding the loupe catered for more close up work such as photo etch.

Going for a higher magnification, for example 2.75x meant a 6" working distance. Way too close for my liking.

That looks pretty good.

I have one of the more common design ... I was given a second one so cannibalised that to add some extra arms! I also have a set of croc clips covered with silicone tube for soldering (otherwise it acts as a heat sink).

I'm 'fortunate' in that I'm pretty short sighted so I can whip off my glasses (varifocals) to do close-up stuff and rarely need to use a magnifier. I have two of the Maplin 22W lamps already mentioned to provide workbench lighting, and occasionally use the magnifier on one of those. I thought there might be LED equivalents of those around now but from a quick Google most still seem to use the 22W circular fluorescent tubes.

Another Amazon find :D (though not related the the discussion above):

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B017BBQLCQ/?tag=amazon0e9db-21

MB_bag_1.jpg

MB_Bag_2.jpg

Nifty boot organiser... it has Velcro strips at the rear and bottom, so sticks well to the carpet material in the book :thumb:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom