If you work hard to too could own a MB

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 113659

I spent yesterday afternoon doing the rounds pricing jobs for the new year (I'm a builder)

I arrived at a house, in a really nice area. On the driveway was a black E220 16 plate saloon. I knocked on and whilst I was waiting for them to answer the door I took a quick peak through the window of the car to see if it was exactly the same as our E Class.

The guy answers the door and caught me looking into the car. After the formal introductions he said;

"Admiring the Merc eh? Well, if you work hard enough in life then one day you may be able to afford one!" :rolleyes:

He is a retired accountant. Obviously he is 'conssssssssiderably Richer than me!'

Ant. :D

Typical builder takes the crappy car or van to look impoverished.
My mate used to take his young daughter on quotes, the cute one not the other one.

^ Should have told him you had one. An S63 coupe that is considerably better than his E class

These days it's more than likely to be 'one day you can lease one of these too'.

:D

These days it's more than likely to be 'one day you can lease one of these too'.

:D

To be fair Allan our E Class is a lease car. :doh:

Maybe he was right. I must work harder. :(

If he was a canny accountant and suspected you might be an incognito Inland Revenue man he may have decided it was unwise to mention the Rolls Royce Corniche parked next to the Ferrari in his Pelican Bay condo in Florida ? ;)

My dad always used my or my sisters cars when doing quotations if he didn't have one of the work vans.

My mate just bought a new GT-R and wouldn't buy a New McLaren 650 as he said it wouldn't be appropriate for home visits (he's a GP).

"Nice car. When you're older you can be a condescending **** like me."

My old boss when I was a teenager was a big petrolhead and had some great cars in the mid 90's (Alpinas, XJR, AMG's etc) and always used to say "like my car Lee? Well if you work hard and keep your head down, next year I'll be able to buy something even MORE expensive!"

He was one of the triggers for me becoming my own boss five year later...

My old boss when I was a teenager was a big petrolhead and had some great cars in the mid 90's (Alpinas, XJR, AMG's etc) and always used to say "like my car Lee? Well if you work hard and keep your head down, next year I'll be able to buy something even MORE expensive!"

He was one of the triggers for me becoming my own boss five year later...

I've been my own boss from being 19. I seriously don't think I could ever work for anyone. Love the freedom. :thumb:

I like this thread, so funny!

I could buy a new car, almost anything within reason, but I love my 1999 SLK and my 2002 CR-V to bits. (And we have a '65 plate, too, but it's my husband's.)

I overheard some young colleagues talking about how their insurance goes up each year unless they query it. I told them mine goes down and they were flabbergasted. Well, I explained, even the smallest bump would render my cars write offs, so my comprehensive, protected no claims insurance costs the same as third party and what with getting to the price point on the cars' ages, I've this year got to a price point on my own age!

In any case, both cars are classics of their models, so I'm content!

While I stayed with my sister and brother in law Ian they planned an extension. I had my old green E320 W124 estate outside and when builders were expected to come for a quote Ian asked me to move mine (he was also moving his) as he didn't want them to think he was rich enough for a fatter quote.

I'm quite certain a couple of them hired in a nice clean white van in their own attempt at influencing the chance of some work in reverse...

"Sorry, didnt know it was your car, I thought it was a minicab waiting for someone"

The guy answers the door and caught me looking into the car. After the formal introductions he said;

"Admiring the Merc eh? Well, if you work hard enough in life then one day you may be able to afford one!" :rolleyes:
Sobering that people make assumptions so freely and unnecessarily, though I'd have struggle d to avoid thinking that guy was behaving like a condescending g*t. Definitely I'd have trouble keeping a straight face!

However, I did have to work long and hard to afford my own Merc. I'm sure it'll be worth the wait... [emoji51]

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

[YOUTUBE]U8Kum8OUTuk[/YOUTUBE]A220 - what a pauper :fail

Last edited:
Ant please tell us you told him you had one as well!

Cannot stand people like that

I did a late/early evening survey at a uni lecturers house who had the exact same car as me, colour, engine, older alloys. I was looking at the car walking down his driveway and he greeted me at the door, saying 'lovely isn't it' I smiled and entered the house

He was waffling on about buying it and how the students are jealous etc, then said 'stick with this overtime and you could get one'

I replied finally after he stopped talking "oh I've got the same as you, infact I'm bored of it. It's slow, looks like a Mondeo and doesn't sound appealing. So I'll start in the loft and work my way down okay?"

... and carried on with my work :eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom