I'm parking on your drive whether you like it or not

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Students were of a want to park across my elderly neighbours gateway; with the usual finger salute if you dared mentioned it. One day one of them was dragged out of class when his Morris Marina mysteriously ended up across the college gates blocking in everyone. Handbrake was firmly on as well.

The appliance of science.

That's easy for those of us who have driveway gates.

With the pressure on space nowadays, many, particularly newer properties, don't.

I imagine that the unfortunate resident was either unable, or unwilling, to do anything illegal which is fair enough. He may have been old, ill or infirm or had no access to the sort of kit people are talking about such as wheel trolleys, or even the technical knowledge to tow a car. As a matter of interest, how do you tow a locked automatic car left in Park? My concern is that there is no LEGAL means of getting the offending car removed.

A liberal scattering of bird seed over the vehicle should help :)

An significant injection of water through the rubber hose into the petrol tank and some screws/nails resting in the tread of the tyres for when he drives away and 'oh did someone nick your wipers - oh dear'.

Or as really happened to a friends Golf in London - someone stole his windscreen one night.

I imagine that the unfortunate resident was either unable, or unwilling, to do anything illegal which is fair enough. He may have been old, ill or infirm or had no access to the sort of kit people are talking about such as wheel trolleys, or even the technical knowledge to tow a car. As a matter of interest, how do you tow a locked automatic car left in Park? My concern is that there is no LEGAL means of getting the offending car removed.
Attach a rope to it and pull with a heavier vehicle.

This reminds me of something one of the mates was telling me last week.

His elderly mum & dad don't drive and his dad passed away a bit back.

Whenever he visits mum there is a large 4x4 from the semi next door outside mum's window meaning when he parks he is across the next house downs drive.
He politely asked them if they could park across there own window/drive so that he could get somewhere to park when visiting.
Was told they pay their tax and its the road so they will park wherever they like.

So what did he do, he went out and bought a little car for a few hundred quid, insured and taxed this, waited till they were out then drove it and parked it outside their window, priceless.

I can't stand this. We have a 'neighbour' across the street who owns 3-4 vehicles but only drives one at a time. He has enough space in his back yard to park them along with a HUGE garage. He often swaps them around but sometimes leaves one near our house or infront of someone elses for weeks whilst he drives the other, often leaving the front of his house clear for visitors.

No one says anything to him and I don't like to cause an argument as his wife is a nice lady. If I can't find space then I am the only one who will park infront of his house. He has a corner house so has the whole length of the side too which is always empty!

Some people just like to be awkward.

I'd hire the recovery truck to move it and pay them to drive it a couple of hundred miles and drop it off.

When I was younger and even more irresponsible I had a neighbour who was well known in the area for being awkward, following my first minor run-in with him he had the police call on me as he claimed that I had been shooting at his house windows with an air rifle. According to him it could only have been me due to the angle of the shots.

His pet hate was people parking outside his house and to try and prevent this he would put cones out to mark out 'his' place. At the time I had a company car which I hated so would frequently reverse over his cones and leave the car outside his place if no other spaces were available, sometimes that would get stuck under there and it could take half a mile for them to work through to the rear and pop back out from under my car.

Some time later they put the house up for sale and I got the estate agent details, the place was a disgrace, filthy and damp.

He also took offence to people putting their bins out at the end of our lane and would search through for letters showing who's bins they were and then slash the bags and empty over fences/walls/hedges.

I often get strangers parking in my drive; mostly they're visitors to next door. The problem is that there's no clear dividing line between my drive in front of my double garage and my neighbour's drive in front of their single garage.

I've contemplated putting in a wall or fence but I know that would make life difficult for my neighbour, and is unlikely to stop the visiting parkers. Going the whole hog and installing gates would work, but it would also make it a hassle for me and my wife every time we drove out and in. My only attempt to delineate our drives has been to jetwash mine, to absolutely no avail.

I never leave my car in my drive for more than a few minutes (except when washing it) so the nice wide empty drive is clearly too much of an attraction for some people. I've asked the most regular visitor not to park there, but just get a huff and comments about not being there for long. Meanwhile the 3 or 4 car length road at the front of my neighbour's house remains empty!

I have no problem with people using my drive to manoeuvre around in, but parking there is just taking the pi55.

I think a call to the local demolition derby club with the offer a free car would need to be made.

"sorry you parked a car where??"

Sent from my EDI-AL10 using Tapatalk

So if they parked a car on my drive, then i would make sure it never moved again .Spud up the silencer pushed right up with a cane .Its a good killer . Or sugar in the tank ..

I was interested in this question (and the replies:)) which is why I posted in the first place and have since made some enquiries (thanks Google). As a private individual, you can apply to the DVLA in writing for information about the owner of a motor vehicle under certain very specific circumstances, one of which is about a vehicle parked without permission on private land that you own. You have to submit Form V888 accompanied by a fee of £2.50 and a photograph of the vehicle’s number plate. I imagine it would take a while to get a reply by which time the interloper would be long gone, but it could be useful if it happened again. However, it is still a time consuming hassle. There is no provision to check lawful ownership to prevent fraud.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom