I'm thinking about a W211 estate - advice?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mas101

Car
bmw
Hello all.

I currently run a BMW 320d estate but as the children are getting older I could do with more space.

The obvious would be to move up to 5 series, but while I like the way the BMW drives I've not been totally happy with the ownership/reliability thing.

So I'm wondering about a Mercedes E class. TBH I've been wary about them because I see so many very rusty examples of the older models about. Looking around the forums it does seem that the newer cars are better - when the fora are full of people complaining about squeaky wiper blades rather than timing chains that has to be a good sign? :)

Are there any specific issues or things to check for ?

I usually do most of my own maintenance so I'm interested in knowing what sort of things might need doing that are difficult for the DIY mechanic - or just more complicated than they need to be (eg on the bm you have to drop the sub frame to fix a leaky sump gasket and remove the inlet manifold to access the glow plugs - both very common jobs)

From my reading I think I need to avoid anything pre -2007 (brake pumps and general electrical issues?)
I remember talk of issues with injectors? special tools needed to remove them?

What useful advice can you offer?

thanks

S211 as a family car.

I've owned three E91's, two E39 estates and an S211. All were excellent, reliable cars.

I would have loved to run a modern Five series but it is so pig ugly that my eyes wouldn't let me, and the ride quality from the suspension and runflats (in London) is so dire that my posterior refused to sit on its hard seats.

Others can faff on about minor reliability issues but a quick glance at Autotrader will show you S211's running around with 150k, 200k and 250k mileages - long after their equivalents have been consigned to the breakers yard. Visit any country in the world and you'll see E class cars from the 80's, 90's, and Noughties being used to do serious mileages.

It's unclear how much you're intending to spend, but the best advice is just to read the service history and critically check any car for all the usual faults and glitches that you would look for on any car, and buy the best condition car that you want to afford, not the newest. And obviously look at who has owned the car previously - most are owned by well heeled fastidious people - especially at the beginning of the car's life.

Mercedes make 250,000 E series a year. It's a very well proven design, benefitting from enormous economies of scale.

There's no unique achilles heel - you just need to look at general, overall condition.

Last edited:
Which variant are you looking at? I would definitely advise having a indie check it over for you prior to purchase any potential ones you are serious about. It may not only save you money on potential hidden issues but could serve as a bargaining tool for any work which needs doing to rectify faults found.

If the budget works, go for a facelift, where (according to MB) there were 2000 changes made, and the SBC brake system was discontinued.

55/56 plate onwards.

I'm on my 4th E estate and they are great :thumb:

Things to google depending on model: SBC, Valeo rads, E280/350 petrol balance shafts (BIG job), V6 diesel oil cooler seals etc, M271 timing chains, 7 speed harsh changes. Watch for ex taxi's, esp 220 diesels.

Thanks for the replies.

I'll probably be looking at an E220 diesel just because thats what seems to be most common (I'm in north yorkshire and there aren't a huge number of estates about up here).

Budget flexible to an extent, but probably £5 / 6 K max. (Yorkshireman = Scot with the generosity squeezed out :) )

The valeo radiators are only an issue pre-facelift, is that correct?

Clocked cars/taxis are a potential issue - with cars that wear their miles lightly there are always issues. I know when looking at the bmw I found a couple of cars had clearly been clocked on an annual basis (presumably a lease thing).

I'll be doing some checking - online mot history is quite handy - 6 monthly mot =>taxi. and I see that there are vin decoders that give the full spec which is nice.

Valeo Issue it anything upto and including 2004 (04) id personally go for a e320 I6 cdi if i was you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom