Important if your changing cooling fan motor

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

baldsparky

Car
S320
I noted a useful thread on this hear

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/engine/127505-radiator-fan-motor-replacement-w220-s500.html

And wanted to add some important info.

You will note there is mention of the plastic pulley being broken during install.

Now when I removed my original motor, I compared it with the unit I received from e bay (Identical to the one in the thread) before I installed it.

What I found is the new units mounting lugs were set further back on the motor body by about 5mm.

This would have caused the unit to sit too far inside the cowling and fowl on the top part of the A/C's cooling matrix.
It would also cause the ribbed belt to be out of alignment with reference to the motor to fan pulleys.

Now other than that the unit is identical to OEM and at £132 a cheap purchase.
So the work around was simply a case of using penny washers between the cowl and motor mounting lugs before tightening up, thus spacing the unit back to the same position as the original unit and preventing the plastic motor pulley from fowling, and also aligning the drive belt correctly.

It worked perfectly and my fan now runs whisper quite, but if any of you guys need to go down this route just remember to check those mounting lug positions 1st and save yourself any hassle.

Safe motoring :thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom