Importing a yank

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JumboBeef

Car
W124 E220 Estate Auto
Hello all,

How much would it cost to import a motor from the US? I was looking around eBay USA and certain cars caught my eye, like this one:

Chevrolet : Corvette:eBay Motors (item 260450922474 end time Jul-28-09 11:51:52 PDT)

for £4,000!

I have some very good friends in the US, who know a lot about cars who could buy a car for me, and put it on a ship but what other costs would I need to factor in?

We looked years ago (maybe 8 years) and at the time it was around £1000 think it depends on the year of car etc. I'm sure we were told also its the price of the container so if you want other stuff in that container it costs no more.

Some great cars out their

Im out in San Diego at the mo for 10 days on biz and i've seen some beautiful 60's Stangs, parked my rental PT Cruiser (shxt) next to a F50 last night in a Del Mar restaurant... There is a shedload of wedge out here.... They do like there chrome over here.... multiple Mercs with Chrome rims, mostly just the standard rims chromed... Seen loads of CL600s on huge rims

You get all the chrome on the west coast, due to the warm climate. Also a lot of pop stars / rappers etc pimping their blinged rides.

(That's not bad street lingo!:) )

I looked at this a couple of years ago for a Mustang, shipping from the East Coast out of Norfolk Virgina into Liverpool everything all in freight, container charge, HMRC taxes and duties SVA to Uk register it it worked out at about £3k. Freight is the easy part its the paperwork charges and import taxes duties etc that kill it.

Might be cheaper under the current climate and obviously charges taxes duty etc would be based on the original price of the car,

Not sure that helps but will try and dig out the name of the US company I contacted.

Hello all,

How much would it cost to import a motor from the US? I was looking around eBay USA and certain cars caught my eye, like this one:

Chevrolet : Corvette:eBay Motors (item 260450922474 end time Jul-28-09 11:51:52 PDT)

for £4,000!

I have some very good friends in the US, who know a lot about cars who could buy a car for me, and put it on a ship but what other costs would I need to factor in?

I imported one a few years back, shipping was $500 for a container, and then there's duty, and VAT (they charge you VAT on the duty too!).

Roro is much cheaper, the Americans import almost everything and export very little so shipping from the US to Europe is cheap due to the ships being almost empty.

Talbir's possibly the best man to ask as he's just brought over a couple of cars.

For those shipping costs , you could just about buy something and DRIVE home , via the Bering Straits when they freeze over in winter !

For those shipping costs , you could just about buy something and DRIVE home , via the Bering Straits when they freeze over in winter !

Now that sounds like a good Top Gear challenge........

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom