Importing from japan

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

whirsk

Car
1990 300ce
Hi Folks
I am travelling to japan this june for a business/pleasure trip and hopefully one of the irish rugby summer tour games.
Whilst in japan i am hopeing to check out the second hand car market.

Just wondering if anyone has any experience of buying/importing a car from japan?

Is it best to buy private or auction?

Ps. If anyone has any travel hints and tips for japan or good driving routes much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Whirsk

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Hi,
Japanese people are legendary smokers - it took me more than a year to get rid of smell and discoloration from my imported Subaru WRX that I had a few years back.
Cars are generally well kept otherwise but don't always seem to have same level of underseal protection as cars destined for European countries.
Cars are also limited to 112mph - some easier to remove than others and the radio frequency range does not match European frequencies.
Cheers
Steve

Mike Brewer looked into this during the series Trading Up. He was advised that unless you're doing it on a large scale i.e 10 cars then it's not really financially viable.

This may have been put on for the show though, but it was from a local dealer. Oh and the auctions are amazing with a car being sold every 20 seconds or so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9eyt4y-CBs

Last edited:
Oldguy57 junior Mk2 imported an NSX from Japan a couple of years ago and had no problem. He had an inspection carried out but you will benefit from being there. Auctions , as stated above, are a thing to behold- I think you'd have to be very brave!

Thanks for the info folks
Cheers

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom