Importing from the USA

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MikeL

Car
Audi A4 3.0 TDI
Help!

I'm trying to purchase a Panasonic DMP-BD30 Blu-Ray player from the States. Happy to pay duty taxes etc, however I can't find any company prepared to ship to the UK?

Any thoughts - the unit is $450-$500 depending on seller.

Mike :(

I did a search on eBay UK and found two US sellers offering the Panasonic DMP-BD30 at $439.99 and willing to ship to the UK for $125.00.

First link

Second link

You do realise it is Region 1 only?

Expect to pay a customs clearance charge of up to £15.00, import duty at 3.5%, and VAT at 17.5% on the whole of the purchase price, shipping cost, customs clearance charge and duty.

Am I right in that a PSP3 plays Bluray dvds?

I would make sure the warranty will be valid outside North America, too.

Am I right in that a PSP3 plays Bluray dvds?
PS3 you mean .. yes. In fact it's been rated very highly compared to dedicated Bluray players ... just as the PS2 was when DVD players were new to the market. It's a great piece of kit, IMO.

I did a search on eBay UK and found two US sellers offering the Panasonic DMP-BD30 at $439.99 and willing to ship to the UK for $125.00.

You do realise it is Region 1 only?

Expect to pay a customs clearance charge of up to £15.00, import duty at 3.5%, and VAT at 17.5% on the whole of the purchase price, shipping cost, customs clearance charge and duty.

Thanks for the maths on the import wasn't certain of all the fees, imediately after I posted I found a proper bricks and mortar dealer who will ship (tracked) for $540.00 so might look at them - regarding region code strictly speaking it is Region 1 for standard discs and Region A for Blu-Ray, I was hoping HD would win the war but looking increasingly unlikely, HD are at the moment region free discs.

Also trying to work out if worth having two players! Maybe I should keep things simpler :rolleyes:

Mike

Thanks for the maths on the import wasn't certain of all the fees, imediately after I posted I found a proper bricks and mortar dealer who will ship (tracked) for $540.00 so might look at them - regarding region code strictly speaking it is Region 1 for standard discs and Region A for Blu-Ray, I was hoping HD would win the war but looking increasingly unlikely, HD are at the moment region free discs.

Also trying to work out if worth having two players! Maybe I should keep things simpler.

As others have mentioned, the Sony PS3 is also a Blu-Ray player. It costs about £300 and is available in the high street.

But the particular player you were looking for is a second generation Blu-Ray player which the PS3 is not. I don't know how important that is.

The PS3 also gets fairly regular (free) firmware upgrades, which have added quite a lot of functionality (DVD upscaling, for one thing) since I've had mine.

But the particular player you were looking for is a second generation Blu-Ray player which the PS3 is not. I don't know how important that is.

Fairly as it has the full set of HD-Audio and hopefully more stable audio, there have been problems sound on earlier models.

The main reason for a stand alone player is to have two units.

Plus the wife is just about convinced for two players, I know the response if I suggested another games console!

Mike

Decision-ish

I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure....

With import duties etc I can get a player for approx £350, if I carry one on a plane approx £250 and if someone imports for me and takes a cut £399.00. Don't suppose a DVD player as hand luggage is a great idea at the moment.

If the UK model isn't way above the cost of the USA model I will wait for it to be released here and get both at the same time, however it is a BIG if - currently the Panny available both sides of the pond is an eye-watering 4x the cost over here - if that happens again shall come up with new strategy.

Thanks for the input folks. :)

Mike

As mentioned before the main thing when importing from US is the warranty asin US they only have a 90 day warranty as opposed to the 1yr we get.

Also, on the off chance it develops a fault what do you do? who pays the shipping each way?

The you may have the voltage issues, which is such a big deal as well as the region.

Once you balance everything out, it doesn't work out as being too much cheaper than getting one locally.

Also as mentioned earlier, I would look at the PS3 option for the time being until there BLU-RAY standard is fully established and plentiful player becoming available.

PS3 - you can pick up on ebay as well.

Just my $0.02 worth

Once you balance everything out, it doesn't work out as being too much cheaper than getting one locally.

Also as mentioned earlier, I would look at the PS3 option for the time being until there BLU-RAY standard is fully established and plentiful player becoming available.

PS3 - you can pick up on ebay as well.

Just my $0.02 worth

The issue isn't cost as such, it is the ability to play Region A discs - hence the requirement for two machines - cost becomes an issue if the UK player price is extreme, as noted above currently 4x as expensive for the older model.

Mike

I have just been told that a US company has despatched a very expensive eye piece that I have bought for my wife. I'm dreading the knock on the door :devil: :)

In this country the eye piece is harder to obtain than the Nintendo Wii, plus it is much cheaper. :)

I hate UPS but that is the preferred shipper for the company dealing with my order :mad: :mad: :mad:

Regards
John

I have just been told that a US company has despatched a very expensive eye piece that I have bought for my wife. I'm dreading the knock on the door :devil: :)

In this country the eye piece is harder to obtain than the Nintendo Wii, plus it is much cheaper. :)

I hate UPS but that is the preferred shipper for the company dealing with my order :mad: :mad: :mad:

Regards
John

I'm with you all the way on UPS! Bunch of useless wasters and always the most expensive for imports.

It looks like I've solved my importing problem anyway, going to the States in March and we are allowed TWO pieces of hand luggage each on the way back to the UK (Yes, checked with all the current shenanigans about flying, restrictions, airports etc.). It falls within size and weight restrictions.

So I shall hand carry it - did not want to put it in the hold, goodness knows what state it would arrive back in.

In regards to previous observations - I already have a stepdown transformer for the voltage rated about three times the players needs, so no proplem plug and play, also it does come with 12 month warranty - although claiming would be another issue, touch wood never had a faulty DVD player yet (Five and counting).

Mike

PS - John, of course the Blu-ray is to play pack HD from the camcorder, naturally I'll need a different Amp, which will probably lead to a different telly.... I hope Angie hasn't worked all this out yet! :devil:

If you bring it back from the USA, you are only allowed to bring £145 worth through customs. If you are stopped and searched, and you're goods are worth more than that, you will have to pay duty on everything you have bought. If you do not declare and are not stopped, you've got a bargain, but be prepared.

Russ

If you bring it back from the USA, you are only allowed to bring £145 worth through customs. If you are stopped and searched, and you're goods are worth more than that, you will have to pay duty on everything you have bought. If you do not declare and are not stopped, you've got a bargain, but be prepared.

Russ

Three of us travelling - so group allowance :bannana:

Mike

Regards
John
Bought a camera off ebay from the states, paid £125 and thought a good price until it arrived and had to pay a further £60 which included duty, vat and collection of duty/vat charge. Would have been cheaper to buy from UK.

Bought a camera off ebay from the states, paid £125 and thought a good price until it arrived and had to pay a further £60 which included duty, vat and collection of duty/vat charge. Would have been cheaper to buy from UK.

If you had been to the USA and brought it home you would have been OK as it was below £145 (assuming you were not bringing loads more than that), but buying over the internet you can only import £18 worth before duty is paid.

Russ

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom