In Amsterdam. The Repair Cafe.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ringway

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
2017 Audi RS6 Avant Performance Edition. Range Rover Supercharged - Lovely!
A great idea, and the sort of thing I'd like to do for a few hours a week when I retire - Fix things that others would normally throw away.

Because many things are cheaper these days (esp electrical goods) a lot of people just replace instead of repairing.
I'm guilty of this. Last week I threw away an old twin tape deck radio because I don't use cassette's these days and the tuning knob was missing.
I could have kept the radio and used a flat blade screwdriver to tune in or made another tuning knob for it.
I could say that I didn't have time to make the unit servicable again, but that wouldn't be true, because I'll happily spend hours tinkering with less valuable items (often useless in comparison to the radio) that have perhaps been given to me by someone else, in an attempt fix them. I suppose it's the challenge of making someones elses cast off serviceable again that is the attraction in those cases.

Here is an article about The Repair Cafes. LINK.

Good stuff.

I have a (sort of) repair café of my own. It repairs broken gear change modules on W211s.

Others pay MB £800 or so for them to bin the malfunctioning module, supply a new one, fit it, etc.

But I prefer to sort it out myself for half an hour's time and one careful squirt of WD40!

Edit: And I didn't have to go abroad!

I quite enjoy messing about with stuff like that, or adapting it to another use.:)

I have repaired to quite a few "cafes" in Amsterdam. You dont know what your missing.

I have repaired to quite a few "cafes" in Amsterdam. You dont know what your missing.
Not been putting it in the "wood oven" have your TJ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom