In-grained glass streaks - Reoval Help?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

brucemillar

MB Enthusiast
Car
C55 AMG Wagon - W124 300te 4matic Wagon - BMW 4.8is X5 E53 - SWB Pajero 3.5 V6 24v
People

When I was deep cleaning the interior of my 124 Wagon. I left the tailgate up. This meant that along the entire width of the tailgate glass, Surfex HD (and a load of muck) ran in streaks down the glass. I wasn't concerned at the time, thinking it "would just wipe off". WRONG!!

The Surfex appears to eaten into the glass leaving run marks from top to bottom across the entire window.

I have tried a variety of increasingly severe substances and elbow grease to remove this with little/no impact. These include:

Meguiars Glass Cleaner - Normally cleans everything beautifully.
Windolene.
Karcher Steam Glass Cleaner - Vac. This had some success!!
T-Cut
White Vinegar - Including leaving it to soak.

Finally I tried some more Surfex - Thinking that if I attacked with he stuff that attacked it it may neutralise it. Still no good.

I must have the cleanest window in the land. But in sunlight all I see is these runs down the glass.

I am guessing that the Surfex has etched a channel into the glass itself? I am loathed to set about it with anything heavier now, thinking that if T-Cut won't touch it nothing else will? I am also thinking that if the steam vac had some success then heat is a clue? But it a very minor success, gained over a very long time and ert. We are talking some 20 passes just to get any real noticeable difference.

Do I need to bite the bullet and get a new glass or is there hope?

Last edited:
Any pics Bruce? What is surfex? Just Googled.

Hammer and a call to your insurance? ;)

S

Last edited:
Any pics Bruce? What is surfex?

Simon. Bilt Hamber - Surfex HD. It's a "bio degradable degreaser" Comes in liquid form. I was using it to remove heavy oil stains from the tailgate door card carpet. Which it did very well ;ˆ)

No pics as a camera will not show it. It just looks like run marks left by liquid. To some it would not be an issue. But once seen it can't be un-seen and it's now driving me potty.

Ah, is the degreaser highly caustic? - That will take the surface layer of borosilicate glass (it devitrifies), and you'd need to re-passivate the surface layer with something.

If this was laboratory glassware I'd say, "Soak it in 2-propanol with ~30g/l of potassium hydroxide, then rinse it off with deionised water and passivate it with 2% nitric acid."

Alloy wheel cleaner might be the last resort; it often contains dilute hydrofluoric acid which might work to etch the marks back out. - I'd only try that if the next step was going to be a hammer anyway.

I'm not going to say I understood any of that apart from "alloy wheel cleaner" & "hammer";ˆ)

You are correct though. A hammer would be the last resort.

I will give the alloy wheel cleaner a go a report back. Thank you.

Bruce I think you will go the way of the hammer but try some of your wife's nail polish but be careful it loves eating paint as well.

Surfex is purported as being non-caustic, non-solvent.

You might want to try an "abrasive" glass polish, something like Zaino Z12 or the screen paste that Jaguar used to supply at service time.

Bruce I think you will go the way of the hammer but try some of your wife's nail polish but be careful it loves eating paint as well.

Ah. Sorry, I should have said that I had tried some of this without success. yes it does eat paint and that made me very nervous. It still did not touch it.

I just tried some alloy wheel cleaner. No change. I will have a go with a bit of abrasive glass polish. But I hear the hammer knocking over my shoulder.

You could try Brasso and 0000 grade wire wool or maybe even jewelers rouge before resorting to the hammer .

I would contact the manufacturers of Surfex and tell them as they sell it as being suitable for all automotive surfaces.

May be try neat household bleach by dabbing it on.

I would contact the manufacturers of Surfex and tell them as they sell it as being suitable for all automotive surfaces.

I suspect the problem isn't one of suitability, it's of allowing the product to dry. This is the case for many heavy duty cleaners.

I suspect the problem isn't one of suitability, it's of allowing the product to dry. This is the case for many heavy duty cleaners.

That, I suspect is the case here. I was so busy with the deep cleaning (removing 30 years of interior grime) that I simply did not check that the "now"open tailgate has dirty product running down it. To be fair I also didn't think (when I did notice) that there would be any issue. I just thought it would wash off.

Anyway: Latest update. I had a go with TFR (Okay yes I know) wiped on neat with a micro-fibre towel. Then cleaned off with Meguiars glass cleaner. So far, so good. It is looking a lot better. I will have another go later to see if I can get the remaining runs out.

You can actually feel the cloth gripping as it moves across the runs. Clearly it has eaten into the coating.

A new glass may end up being what is required but for now we are looking good.

As always. Thank you everybody for the suggestions..

You can get glass cleaner kit with varying abrasives included on ebay. ( includes small wheel attachments / pads for electric drill )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom