Information for Iphone users

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

markmifsud

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Insignia VXR 2.8t (2017) SuperSport, AWD, eLSD / Gone :( CLK320 CAB (A208) 02
I believe this affects just the iphone 6, but take head.

Apple ios9 detects if you have tampered with the fingerprint sensor, this could also just be a screen replacement. If it does detect this, your handset could be bricked and Apples response to this is, buy a new handset and only use apple repairs.

A real sorry state of affairs when the likes of Samsung can manage to setup a security warning when it detects that the security of the device could be at risk, but no, apple brick your phone with no way to get a fix.

read more

Apple under pressure as lawyers pledge action over 'Error 53' codes | Business | The Guardian

Everything you need to know about iOS' crippling 'Error 53'

"Security warning" will not prevent my data to be stolen/accessed/compromised, whereby completely disabling the phone will do exactly that. I think it's an excellent solution - if you don't mess with your phone you have nothing to worry about. What is the point of having a biometric security feature, if it can be overridden by some back alley "repair shop"?

I think the point is, Apple do not own your handset so do not have a legitimate reason to disable it. If they was to put up a warning that the security could be compromised because you have dared to get the fragile screen replaced for the 10th time then you would know and accept responsibility.

There is also no suggestion that a back alley repairer can compromise a handset, the error53 also gets generated for just a screen change.

Imagine if Mercedes took a car in for a service and found out you had used an indi for a repair and the parts were not supplied in a MB branded box, fair to disable your car?

Last edited:
Hardly an appropriate analogy - there are no user serviceable parts in an iPhone, and Mercedes will block an attempt to fake / mess about with a car key.

I don't know what people do with their phones, but I've never had to replace a screen on any of our iPhones and iPads ... in any case, I wouldn't let someone other than Apple, to repair it.

Some, if not most the angst here has been caused by Apple not announcing at the point of sale. So if (like me) you have an iphone and are unlucky enough to damage it (broken screen) and take it to a high street repair shop to have a new screen installed. It comes as a shock when some time later your device gets locked out with ERROR 53. For those (like me) who are not in the know, this could be an expensive lesson. I think Apple will lose the law suit base on the fact that this is a "restrictive practice" and is covert in it's application (no pun intended).

What do you do if Apple deem not to have a repair outlet in your locale? I think it is mean spirited at best and illegal at worst. Yes I am an Apple fan and we are an Apple family.

Don't let Apple stuff you in this way, do like I did migrate to a Windows phone , then at least you are sure to be *****d from the point of purchase . :crazy:

I hate Apple but love the phone

I've got a battery issue with my iPhone 6, closest store to me for repair is Milton Keynes and they never have an appropriate time slot for me

Main reason I hate them is they put a password on my backup within iTunes. Yes, they! I have never ever, set a password on iTunes. If I did, I use a small group of passwords that I've used since school so there's no chance in hell that I'll ever forget one. However, now the password is set I cannot use iTunes to backup the phone, I can use iCloud and use it that way, it's just a pain

If it's under warranty as a 6 should still be, new screen/replacement doc should be free, I doubt I'd go elsewhere to have it repaired. That said there's a brilliant place near me in Wellingborough who I'd call the same as Rich/Alfie to Mercedes on here, they're brilliant and cheaper/sometimes better than Apple themselves. Cracked the screen on my iPhone five at least three times.

Didn't know about the finger print issue so I'm glad I read this, never really occurred to me about that... Think I'll hold a more firm grip on my phone from now on! :eek:

If you damage your Mercedes, it is repaired via insurance at an MB approved repair shop, surely if you damage your iPhone it is also repaired under insurance at an Apple repair shop. Now, if you don't have insurance.........:devil:

its why I wouldn't touch an apple product, they clearly are taking advantage of very gullible people. My phone is a Note 5, 64GB and superior to any apple smartphone. No chance of Samsung bricking it either.

There is no need to disable a phone even if third party whoever repaired it, adequate 2 step verification is ample security in most cases.

Some, if not most the angst here has been caused by Apple not announcing at the point of sale. So if (like me) you have an iphone and are unlucky enough to damage it (broken screen) and take it to a high street repair shop to have a new screen installed. It comes as a shock when some time later your device gets locked out with ERROR 53. For those (like me) who are not in the know, this could be an expensive lesson. I think Apple will lose the law suit base on the fact that this is a "restrictive practice" and is covert in it's application (no pun intended).

What do you do if Apple deem not to have a repair outlet in your locale? I think it is mean spirited at best and illegal at worst. Yes I am an Apple fan and we are an Apple family.

Doesn't matter if you are an apple fan or apple family member. Apple disabling a phone without the consent of the owner is effectively theft.

If apple fans are happy with this and buy another apple phone to replace it, well its a win win for the moguls in California, but I think sooner rather than later things will catch up with them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom