Installing stone chip protectors W219 CLS

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

notsofast

Car
CLS320Cdi
Can anybody advise exactly what the "Lubricant, Rubber assembly" p/n A0009890367 consists of ? I don't want to buy a litre of this stuff to only install a few protectors.

AR72-12-P-0107TX_zpsfmdpfezg.jpg

If the protectors are made of 3M film (as are most), then a very dilute solution of Fairy Liquid in water is all you need as a lubricant. Use a trigger spray bottle to mist the panel and the adhesive side of the protector and it will allow you to "float" it into position, then you just use the squeegee with outward strokes from the centre to finish the job.

BTW, don't try doing it in ambient temperatures below about 20c or if the panel is cold - you'll end up with a disaster.

If you buy a litre and then do yours ok, we should have a CLS party and you can do mine, and a few of the other guys on here!! haha

but yes a weak fairy liquid and water combo in a spray bottle is what I use when doing the vinly stickers on cars etc so you can move them into place,

I will do you a deal - I will buy a litre of the magic potion and will practice on your cars first :thumb:

I did practice somewhat the other day when I re-gripped a golf club and it came up pretty good - White spirit and grip tape. :rock:

Last edited:
MB sell them £11.99 per side I'm using a vehicle wrapper to put the new ones on. Not the bodyshop.

Can you please advise once done (to say how it went) so that I can get mine done too as its way past its sell by date!!

Of course, no problem Amrit. Car will be finished Thursday week so hoping for one of the cleanest W219 going.

Look forward to some pictures. I was looking to get mine Wrapped same colour as your car but still thinking long and hard about it.

Look forward to some pictures. I was looking to get mine Wrapped same colour as your car but still thinking long and hard about it.

I love the tanzanite/Cashmere combo ok no AMG but I can live with that. Sean on here has a stunning designo mystic blue 55 on here.

Never been a fan of wrapping although I've seen some fantastic jobs. If you've got a great car why not.

Killerhertz, the Bodyshop ordered them for me, I'll give them a call in the morning for the part nos, they are 11.99 inc a side. I'll post up the part nos in the morning.

Got part no.s and prices please? Mine need replacing :)

You can get them over the counter from the parts department, always have them in stock.

For the one on the actual arch that wraps inside the door shut you will need a heat gun because the panel bends in every different direction and the film isn't stretchy. Did mine and if I ever needed to do it again I'd get the MB body shop to do it...nightmare job to get it aligned because it isn't flat and the tiniest bit out to start will be loads out by the time you reach the end.

I've covered all my interior wood in 3M dinoc, slatted covers and all, so not unfamiliar with the process. That was a walk in the park compared to this stupid bit of film.

Like a lot of WIS guidance - Easy to read but a lot less simple in practice.
Remove_install%20stone%20chipping%20protective%20cover_2_zpsemf7dt8i.jpg

Does anybody know if these are available for the W205 C class? I have searched the MB accessories with no luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom