Instant Karma

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MB Club Veteran
Car
Not always
I had an amusing moment on the road last night :D

Having been over at my mum's I was on my way home , in the SL , and was about to join the M9 northbound at Earl's Gate roundabout in Grangemouth .

Immediately before the motorway on ramp , there's an exit from a petrol station/McDonalds and , as I came round the roundabout one car shot out in front of me from this exit , causing me to lift off the throttle , the car behind him , a blue Audi , which I think would have done the same but for my presence , jammed on his brakes .

With him stopped , I accelerated smartly up the on ramp , until I started to catch up with a slow moving hatchback ahead , and had to lift off . In the meantime , Mr Audi , which turned out to be some kind of souped up thing with a turbocharger I could hear spinning and waste gate dumping loudly as he went on and off throttle , appeared rapidly behind and so close I couldn't see the front of his car behind my bootlid .

Momentarily , we reached the carriageway , and I pulled out to pass the hatchback , with Mr Audi right 'up my chuff' ; having passed the hatchback , and the Artic it had pulled out behind , and now doing 70 mph myself , I pulled over to let the Audi pass , which it did and proceeded to accelerate to Warp 9 .

By the time I had reached 'The Kelpies' , which are maybe 300 yds from the on ramp , the Audi was almost at the end of the 2 mile straight ( so his speed was somewhat on the high side ) and I saw his brake lights come on in the distance ...

By the time I reached the end of the straight , a minute or two later , there he was on the hard shoulder , with a police BMW behind him , blue lights ablaze . Of course , I knew from local knowledge that there was one of those elevated motorway patrol points , where police patrol cars often sit , just around that bend - but Mr Audi clearly didn't .

It was , of course , ungentlemanly to laugh as I went by - but I'm afraid I did :D:D:D:devil::devil::devil:

Last edited:
Oh, the times I've (unsportingly) wished for that to happen...........

So in the time it took you to cover 300 yds, he had covered nearly two miles? If you were doing seventy mph throughout, and he had covered only a mile, I make that an average speed of some 410 mph...

Where can I buy one of those Audis? Eat yer hearts out, Veyron boys....:D

So in the time it took you to cover 300 yds, he had covered nearly two miles? If you were doing seventy mph throughout, and he had covered only a mile, I make that an average speed of some 410 mph...

Where can I buy one of those Audis? Eat yer hearts out, Veyron boys....:D

Hehe, spot on...:cool:

You can look at the map for yourselves

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@56.0275667,-3.7608895,4433m/data=!3m1!1e3

I joined at Jct 6 , from the roundabout near the bottom of the image , and passed both the hatchback and the artic ( which were both moving slowly ) pretty quickly , thereupon being overtaken by the Audi .

Looking at the scale on the map , it is possibly 500m or so from the mouth of Jct6 to The Kelpies .

By the time I reached the Kelpies , the Audi was most of the way down that straight ( heading towards Jct 7 ) so at least 1Km and more like 1.5 Km , when I saw his brake lights come on .

He was stopped by the police just about where the M9 legend is shown at jct 7 .

I'd passed the two slower vehicles , and was passed by Mr Audi within 100m or so of joining the motorway , so in the time I travelled the remaining 400m or so , he'd covered somewhere between 1Km and 1.5 Km , I'd say somewhere beyond the second M9 legend on the image , when I was passing the Kelpies , then I saw his brake lights come on ( perhaps when he saw the police car ahead ? ) .

That , to me , indicates a pretty high speed .

Of course , perhaps his name was Dave :devil:

Last edited:
I'd say your estimates are still somewhat incorrect. You do the calculations...

I presume traffic was light, so I can't see that the Audi did much wrong, really, other than exceeding the speed limit. I'm sure you would have told us if he had.

Look at it from his point of view. He was held up by an old fart in a slow car, and once his way past was clear on the motorway, nailed it; in a rather bad-mannered fashion, agreed, but that's about it. I might well have done the same if you were holding me up, though my driving manners would have been better.

If you object to being passed by young men in fast cars, buy a fast car and drive faster yourself. Personally, I just let them get on with it.

Last edited:
Whatever, it must have been satisfying to see him get his comeuppance. Naughty but nice! :devil:

I'd say your estimates are still somewhat incorrect. You do the calculations...

I presume traffic was light, so I can't see that the Audi did much wrong, really, other than exceeding the speed limit. I'm sure you would have told us if he had.

Look at it from his point of view. He was held up by an old fart in a slow car, and once his way past was clear on the motorway, nailed it; in a rather bad-mannered fashion, agreed, but that's about it. I might well have done the same if you were holding me up, though my driving manners would have been better.

If you object to being passed by young men in fast cars, buy a fast car and drive faster yourself. Personally, I just let them get on with it.

I wasn't in the least bothered about being passed , and indeed got out of his way in a timely manner - the only bit of Mr Audi's conduct I perceived as rude was his proximity to my back bumper while we were both being held up by slower traffic , and the point of my story being the irony of his obvious impatience leading to his downfall .

I too would presume it to have been a young man , but I really didn't see the driver ( might have been young or old , even female ) .

I'd say it was a heavily modified car , and VERY fast , judging by the way it opened up a huge gap so quickly ( his speed was clearly into three figures and , not being entirely inexperienced in such matters myself I'd estimate even somewhat north of 150 , judging by the distance he travelled in the same time as I travelled four hundred or so metres at 70 ) and also the sounds the car made ( turbo spinning , wastegate dumping , exhaust noise which was still clearly audible at considerable distance ) .

You are correct that there was no other traffic apart from the two vehicles we both passed , so he had a clear run down the straight , and in days gone by I might have done the same ( indeed often did ) . While I used to drive faster in my youth , traffic density and enforcement technology make it something of a fool's game these days , such that I seldom ever indulge in it .

Two reasons I didn't were a) I wasn't interested in getting involved in any kind of a race , b) I knew the police very often sit in their observation point , where I presume they were on this occasion .

I too used to drive faster in my youth. I'm an OAP; I still do. The AMG/Jaguar/FJR/E350 made me do it, officer, honest...

To paraphrase St. Augustine: "Lord, make me sensible, but not yet".

b) I knew the police very often sit in their observation point

This is a thing of the past 'down South'. I was also told by a Police contact that they no longer patrol any of the motorways round here (M3, M25), so if you see a vehicle it is en route to/from a specific incident.

I suspect the observation 'humps' are being removed from the side of the M3 as part of the smart motorway conversion ... must have a look next time I'm going through the roadworks. The only time I've seen them used in recent years was by HATO vehicles (which of course make everyone slam on the brakes, but that's another story :D).

I too used to drive faster in my youth. I'm an OAP; I still do. The AMG/Jaguar/FJR/E350 made me do it, officer, honest...

To paraphrase St. Augustine: "Lord, make me sensible, but not yet".

I used to drive fast in my youth too, but I would have left a lot more gap if I was lining-up an overtake as described. - (a) gives me more time to get on boost (b) prevents me rear-ending the other car and destroying my pride and joy.

Speed assessments aside, this is rather like the thread about dealing with tailgators; Mr Pontoneer was being harassed by another driver, but wasn't going to be intimidated. When it was safe to do so, he got out of the way and let the other driver go... and they promptly got caught exceeding the national speed limit.

I think karma is an apt description.

Sure you don't mean 'ktarma'?

Sorry, wrong thread...

This is a thing of the past 'down South'. I was also told by a Police contact that they no longer patrol any of the motorways round here (M3, M25), so if you see a vehicle it is en route to/from a specific incident.

I suspect the observation 'humps' are being removed from the side of the M3 as part of the smart motorway conversion ... must have a look next time I'm going through the roadworks. The only time I've seen them used in recent years was by HATO vehicles (which of course make everyone slam on the brakes, but that's another story :D).

Not at all unusual to see them hereabouts , either static or on patrol ( the number of cars I see stopped on the new bits of M74 is significant - almost a daily occurrence , whether for speed ( which I suspect as much of the road is 50mph limit ) or other reasons I don't know , also beware as traffic police in the area operate an unmarked little black Corsa which seems to catch many out .

Of course , we don't have HATOs here , so Police still carry out many of their traditional duties . Oh and no option of speed awareness courses if you get caught here .

Not at all unusual to see them hereabouts , either static or on patrol ( the number of cars I see stopped on the new bits of M74 is significant - almost a daily occurrence , whether for speed ( which I suspect as much of the road is 50mph limit ) or other reasons I don't know , also beware as traffic police in the area operate an unmarked little black Corsa which seems to catch many out .

Of course , we don't have HATOs here , so Police still carry out many of their traditional duties . Oh and no option of speed awareness courses if you get caught here .

How primitive. ;)

An Audi, driven by a complete tool? In fact a Barry Boy edition of an Audi, driven by a tool? I won't have it said ;)

I must admit, Audi's image has been somewhat tarnished with cars/drivers like that as the 1.8T engined A3 become more and more affordable. Plus it seems that that odds looking A7 has to have the spoiler deployed, even at 30mph, whilst it sits on your rear bumper trying to push you down the road.

If it was an Audi rs2 estate it could be the local one near powdrake road that is bonkers fast the whole front bumper is just an intercooler! Supposed to be well over 500 bhp and looks it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom