Insurance for 17 year olds

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

xkillz

What is the best and cheapest to insure can a new driver have

All you can do is get on the comparison sites and see which works out best for you. It is a bit of a lottery so what works out best for you may not be the cheapest for someone else.

Cars like the toyota aygo, fiat panda etc seem to be increasingly popular with young drivers, due to cheap insurance, tax and fuel.

I've got 3 lads and each one (under instruction) bought an old banger under £350 with a years mot, insured third party only for less than £1400. After a year or two of driving they had built up a little bit of no claims and the quotes were more sensible

You will want something group 3 or under for reasonable costs (under £2k)
If you want something bigger then something widely seen as sensible will be a good bet, as to would a classic car.

When I was 19 a little 2.5 Bmw cost nearly double that of insuring a big 5.0+ V8 so if you find a car you like its always worth getting a quote!

3rd party only is usually more expensive than 3rd party fire and theft.
A friend's son recently got a quote as a 17yr old (provisional) for 3rd party fire and theft on a 2006 Citroen C1, which came out as £470ish - an absolute bargain, until he changed the details to having a full license then the price shot up to nearly £1200.

Your best bet, rather than the car itself, would be to have the little black box fitted that some of the insurance companys are now offering.

If your a sensible (absolute geek) driver then your premiums will start at reasonable and perhaps come down over the year.

Our 17 year old has been having driving lessons. Up to about 20 so far.
His Driving Instructor recommended he get some additional experience on the road.
The option we used was wearemarmalade.co.uk. This allows the learner driver to use your current car, as long as it is group 32 or below. The costs are approx £80 per month.
He has a Peugeot 1.1lx on the driveway and quotes for that on the comparison websites after he has passed his test were around £1400-£1800 per year:eek:

Hi,
If you need any assistance with insurance then please feel free to drop me a line at Adrian Flux. If you want to PM me your details I'd be happy to arrange for one of my quotes team to give you a call back.
Regards,
Dan.

Join rospa after you pass, do their course which is free & the instructors are people like police drivers, you just provide the car & pick them up. Once you pass your insurance will come down & be more road aware. A lot cheaper than the 6 lesson post test course the driving instructors will offer.

Then try a pay as you go insurance, or one what looks at your driving habits with a tracker box. Drive carefully & the premiums are lower :)

in most cases it would be best to name mum or dad as a named driver - can make quite a bit of difference - don't put down as main driver though - besides being a nono insurance companies share information these days

Multi car policy with mum and dad on the insurance we did our daughters via Admiral and they have been the cheapest ever since by a mile 1.2 Fiat Panda £850 and now 3 years later with no claims £365 and they have been brilliant all the way through which these days is amazing

Is it anymore now than it was 25 yrs ago?My first policy was 10 weeks take home pay decrepit mini van in 1986 and I was quite low paid then as an apprentice,I expect choice for cheaper cars to insure is more limited.

A lot of youngsters in my area are driving 30-40yr old cars,classic insurance is a lot
cheaper for them.

I'd rather chip in a bit & put mine in a car a bit safer than a 30-40 year old classic. Brakes/handling safety features are miles apart

Multi car policy with mum and dad on the insurance we did our daughters via Admiral and they have been the cheapest ever since by a mile 1.2 Fiat Panda £850 and now 3 years later with no claims £365 and they have been brilliant all the way through which these days is amazing

I did exactly the same for mine. Its amazing how the premium plummeted once sensible aged drivers were added.

the black boxes aren't worth doing. pay £200 more for a normal policy.
admiral, aviva, direct line multi car policys are the way to go.
as someone said, check the after they've passed test prices.
add older drivers with good driving history,

you cant get cheap insurance for 17 year olds. 1st year is ridiculous, 2nd year is acceptable, 3rd year is normal....if they keep a clean record!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom