Insurance Groups revamped.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Satch

MB Enthusiast
Car
S211 E320Cdi Avantgarde Estate & Toyota Land Cruiser
Ah, yes, 20 groups are no longer enough. Now we have 50! And of course some "adjustments" are being made.

"Changes to the motor insurance group rating system announced today by the ABI (Association of British Insurers) will ensure that motor insurance premiums more accurately reflect changes in vehicle technology and the range of new vehicles. In the last three years the range of new cars has risen 42% to 6,000 models.

The motor rating system takes into account factors such as costs of spare parts, crash repair times, and security to help insurers set premiums. It was last reviewed in 1992.

Under the group rating the number of vehicle groups will increase from 20 to 50, reflecting:

- the growth in vehicle types, such as ‘city’ cars;

- different repair techniques and materials;

- a wider ‘basket’ of spare parts, such as air-conditioning units;

- vehicle weight, as the heavier the vehicle the

greater the injury to people and property damage.

Motorists are unlikely to see any change until later this year, as insurers are currently adjusting their systems to the new ratings. The new ratings are advisory. The new system could impact on premiums, depending on individual vehicle characteristics, but will not in itself affect average premiums. "

Database: http://www.abi.org.uk/carinsurance/search.asp

Interesting.

Just plugged my cars into the database and it looks like the advisory is set to change from 19 to 41 for the C32, and 16 to 38 for the ML270.

Had it been a straight multiplication by 2.5 then I would have expected groups 48 and 40 respectively, so it seems there's a little more to it than that.

I suppose it will provide an area of grey that insurance companies may choose to use for price increases. We shall see though.

Had it been a straight multiplication by 2.5 then I would have expected groups 48 and 40 respectively, so it seems there's a little more to it than that.

I suppose it will provide an area of grey that insurance companies may choose to use for price increases. We shall see though.

The old system was a game.

The new system will also be a game.

Who is willing to wager that the overall effect will be to get more money from the motorist?

Cynical I know - thank Mr. Blair etc....

What do you suppose the chances are of them paying attention to advanced driving qualifications?

None I bet.

Who is willing to wager that the overall effect will be to get more money from the motorist?

Well hasn't that always been the case. Every year the industry publicly warns that rates are going up. It's a con to try and reassure the dopes who don't check around after renewals that they should just take the hikes.

Well hasn't that always been the case? Every year the industry publicly warns that rates are going up. It's a con to try and reassure the dopes who don't check around after renewals that they should just take the hikes.

I have just had a look at this and it makes no sense.

I owned a Honda S2000 which used to be in group 20 but is now in group 40.

The Slk I am just about to take ownership of was an 18 but is now a 43 :confused:

Things have jumped about a bit! Group 42 (E320Cdi) now also contains a number of cars that were Group 20!

So what happened to car that were Group 17? Well, they seem to mostly have ended up in 33/34 ish. BMW's & MB's seem to be getting hammered in general and age seems to be a factor: the newer cars are getting loaded up and, damn them, a 320Cdi is in a higher group than a 320 petrol:

"The relative 'weightings' no longer accurately reflect relative risk levels, it adds. Up to now, for instance, insurers have looked at the maximum speed and the rate of acceleration from rest to 60mph.

But this does not 'adequately reflect' the characteristics of some vehicles, such as turbodiesels which have extra torque - or 'pulling power' - at medium speeds.

That gives them an extra burst of speed which could land some drivers in trouble. The ABI also noted that the weight of the vehicle will now be taken into account - the heavier the vehicle, the greater the potential for the driver to be liable for injury or damage to third parties in a collision."

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/insurance/car-insurance/article.html?in_article_id=417723&in_page_id=35

A pox on them!

Thus an R class 320Cdi ends up in the same insurance group as Porsche Cayenne S and an E63 AMG

Last edited:
Has anyone on here claimed on their insurance for aircon ?

Has anyone on here claimed on their insurance for aircon ?
I think it's more to do with a front-end impact requiring aircon repairs surely?

MERCEDES C 230K SPORT AUTO 1 2295cc 1995 2000 4 - Petrol Automatic 32001102 15 31 E T1

So it's gone from group 15 to group 31.

EDIT: additionally the codes for the C230k are decoded as:

E = Exceeds security requirement for a car of this type and the group rating has therefore been reduced. (e.g. A group 9 car where the security requirement exceeds Thatcham’s minimum standard for that group will be listed as an 8E.)
T1 = An alarm/immobiliser combination that has been judged to comply to the Thatcham criteria.

Last edited:
Starwars Syndrome!

Well hasn't that always been the case. Every year the industry publicly warns that rates are going up. It's a con to try and reassure the dopes who don't check around after renewals that they should just take the hikes.

It will also increase the chances of the "highly trained" operatives you have to deal with in the ubiquitous call centers getting things wrong. :crazy:
" HELLO you are through to Donna today. Can I help you? My body is here speaking to you but my brain is in a GALAXY far far awaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!

I think it's more to do with a front-end impact requiring aircon repairs surely?

MERCEDES C 230K SPORT AUTO 1 2295cc 1995 2000 4 - Petrol Automatic 32001102 15 31 E T1

So it's gone from group 15 to group 31.

EDIT: additionally the codes for the C230k are decoded as:

E = Exceeds security requirement for a car of this type and the group rating has therefore been reduced. (e.g. A group 9 car where the security requirement exceeds Thatcham’s minimum standard for that group will be listed as an 8E.)
T1 = An alarm/immobiliser combination that has been judged to comply to the Thatcham criteria.

Obviously it's far too complicated for me to use - didn't even get group for my car
  • Model code
  • Advisory groups
etc ???? Even after clicking links I'm still stumped!!!

Obviously it's far too complicated for me to use - didn't even get group for my car
  • Model code
  • Advisory groups
etc ???? Even after clicking links I'm still stumped!!!

Yeah I gave up too, so that's two idiots on the forum :rolleyes:

The less information you put in the better it seems. Just 'Mercedes' and 'SL' worked for me.

I get a group all to myself with a Silver Arrow :bannana: - insurance group 50 so no change there!

I get a group all to myself with a Silver Arrow :bannana: - insurance group 50 so no change there!
MERCEDES S 600 LIMOUSINE
MERCEDES S 500 COUPE
MERCEDES S 600 COUPE
MERCEDES SL 500 CABRIOLET
MERCEDES SL 500 SILVER ARROW CABRIOLET
MERCEDES SL 600 CABRIOLET
MERCEDES CL 500
MERCEDES CL 600
MERCEDES S 600
MERCEDES ML 55 AMG (LHD)

All group 50! :)

EDIT: whoops there are another 45 group 50 MBs! ;)

If you just search on make and browse through you get the group number. Then just search on the number alone and see what is in there.

I find Group 42/43 odd. In Group 43 for example you now find V6 E320Cdi Estates along with BMW 545i M Sport, Porsche Boxsters, Lotus Elise and C55 AMG's, all of which were previously Group 20 cars

I find our smaller cars have jumped up alarmingly (and inconsistantly)
Mitsubishi Colt, from 3 to 12
Honda Jazz, from 3 to 14

Yet daughter's Seat Ibiza, also grp 3, is now only 6.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom