Insurance - Total Loss

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Martin clk

Car
CLK
Hey guys

Can someone help here.

I have a friend who's car is a 2000 Peugeot 106 (only 44k miles). A woman drove into her driver side door last week. She's admitted full liability. As she's got a hire car through her insurance plus the cost of new parts to repair it the insurance have deemed it a Total Loss as it's an uneconomical repair.

They've valued it as £1269 (a lot more than she was expecting) if she scrapped it, but have also given an option to have the car back (so I can arrange repairs myself) & they'll give her £1,041 (the bit that sounds too good to be true). Been told she can probably get a new door for £60 so just need to pay for fitting & respray to match the car colour.

Just want someone to confirm this is the typical thing they do & that she won't be stung somewhere. Also if it’ll affect the price if she sells it in future (category D stuff etc).

Anyone got any history here?

Don't let them write it off.

It wasn't your friends fault , she has every right to ask for her car to be returned to the pre accident condition.

if it really only needs a new door, then buy it back and fit a 2nd hand door onto it and pocket the money. go to a smaller bodyshop for the work and pay cash ;)

the car isnt worth a great deal so wont affect resale as assuming she plans to keep it for a couple more years she comes to sell it it will be worth only a few hundred anyway.

i think the main thing you should do is ensure that it is only just the door thats damaged (and not effected the chassis etc) and ensure that you really can get the door and stuff fitted for X amount of pounds.

its common practice by the way.... and something i would do in this case and if any car of mine was written off but damage was light.

Would you let them write your car off for a damaged door ?

Fair enough if it is really smashed up , but a door ?

I'd insist it was put right. Always a stigma attached when someone views a Cat D car with a view to buy , whatever the car.

Financially it is far better to write off and have car back
Take pics of damage for any potential sale

My brother had an accident recently in a Discovery. The other party was at fault and the other company accepted this. They felt the Disco was beyond economical repair and offered him a sum of money and the car back.

He refused, got quotes to put the car back to it's pre accident position, which they accepted. The good news is he was then able to get it repaired for half the money the remitted to him.

There seems to be a mix of opinions as to what my friend should do.

Could she just get the dough and have car repaired, if so, would it be easy to insure again and sell off in time?

Regarding Insurance - If it is a Cat D write off her insurer may ask for an engineers report to confirm that the repairs have been properly carried out, and also for a new MOT to be done after the repairs, before they will continue cover.

Regarding selling the car later - Photograph/Document the accident details and damage, then retain any paperwork for the repairs (including dated photographs).

GUYS, its a £1200 motor! not £12K

for a car thats worth so little, I would pocket the money and get a new door done on the cheap! quids in!

I done the same on an uncles fiesta many years ago, car was worth £4K needed a new bonnet and a door, insurance writ it off and paid out £4K, we bought the car back off them for £600, £200 for bonnet\door inc cheap respray, drove it around for another 2 years and sold the car for £2500!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom