Insurance

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

muskey

Car
c class 270 diesel estate
After a non fault ( my opinion) bump, should I go straight to the 3rd party's insurance, or to my own? I've noticed these threads here before, but can't remember any definitive answer. As always, I welcome and respect your sage advice.

Regardless of fault, I'd always report to my own insurance first!

If your insurance company can recover money from the third party, your no claims bonus will not be affected. If not, it will be affected, regardless of whose fault it is. This is of course, if your insurance company pays for it.

Your own insurance company first they will sort repair and recover monies, that's why you pay your premium so you don't have to do the leg work

If you check your policy terms and conditions I am sure you will find that you are obliged to inform them of any accident or other incident that may be covered by the policy and to not do so could invalidate your insurance.

As above, report the incident to your own company first.

I was unlucky enough to have someone drive into me in early July, and the other driver put his hand up, admitted liability and phoned his insurance company at the scene.
Next day, the third party's insurance company contacted me and offered to arrange the complete repair with a loan car.
My insurance company were happy, so was I in that there was no form filling and loss of NCB in my case.

I was unlucky enough to have someone drive into me in early July, and the other driver put his hand up, admitted liability and phoned his insurance company at the scene.

It's nice when people still have some honour and pride....fair do's to the other driver. :thumb:

It's nice when people still have some honour and pride....fair do's to the other driver. :thumb:

I agree. I thought he might try to deny blame, but reversing out of a side street into me was never going to end well for him. As you say, he did the decent thing.

Insurance Companies these days not only have access to all kinds of information and databases but probably, quite legally, know more about us and our driving history, than we do ourselves. Best to play with a straight bat as if we don't we may find that a claim could be turned down. If anyone has a bang, no matter who is at fault, it should be reported to your insurance company straight away - if you don't you could be the next victim of the insurance scammers.

Thanks for your prompt replies, guys. I shall do as advised and give the confused meerkat supermarket a ring
Again, thank you.

If you check your policy terms and conditions I am sure you will find that you are obliged to inform them of any accident or other incident that may be covered by the policy and to not do so could invalidate your insurance.

If you do that you will have to declare it on every insurance quote request for 5 years even if no claim is made. Your screwed if you tell them as not doing so could invalidate your insurance and your screwed if you don't as it will go against you for the next 5 years.

David

Last edited:
If you do that you will have to declare it on every insurance quote request for 5 years even if no claim is made. Your screwed if you tell them as not doing so could invalidate your insurance and your screwed if you don't as it will go against you for the next 5 years.

David

50/50 some insurers load your next policy even if it is a no fault accident, they reckon statistically when you have had one accident your likely to have another..

I call BS personally..

But yes, absolutely you need to declare everything on every quote you request. Also just like loan companies, the insurers are now checking social media etc to judge your risk.

So as Bart Simpson says.....

"You're damned if you do, and you're damned if you don't"

As mentioned, you must inform your insurance provider. I understand that they will pass details to each other, and bear in mind that many insurers are basically the same company or underwritten by the same organisation.

Also don't be surprised if you get asked stupid questions about fault.

My recent experience in a no fault claim is that even though the other party claimed liability you will still get asked silly questions to imply any fault of your own in the incident.

We found that our insurance premiums fell following the claim. I put this down to the fact that prior to the claim the premium was 'loaded' with a personal injury element. The claim was restricted to repairing the front end and we didn't claim any fraudulent extras. When our premiums came up for renewal they have been around 20% less.

Less damned if you do, more honesty is the best policy.

Regards, Neil

So as Bart Simpson says.....

"You're damned if you do, and you're damned if you don't"

That's very true. A good mate of mine had various bits and pieces stolen from his A3 Sportback (1x fog light, bits of trim etc...). He rang his insurance company just for their advice regards excess, but didn't claim in the end. When he came to renew his premium went up due to an 'incident' and he's got to mention it every time he renews now!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom