Intermittent lights ( keep blinking)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shudy0179

Car
A class 1.7cdi
Hi I recently brought a 99 plate a class 1.7cdi and have noticed that all the lights seem to blink? I have checked all fuses and the battery is fine, but now I'm stuck because dint really want to buy new alternator if I don't have to and that's the only solution I can come up with, so any idea,s plz

What is the battery voltage when running.

What do you mean by blinking? Is it off/on or brighter/dimmer?

dimmer and speedo does it as well,as far as battrey it has a green circle showing on it witch is ment to mean fine

they all go dimmer for a split second then fine again how could i check voltage of battery? could it possibly be bad earth?

Is this more of a flicker than a blink? Does it happen on tickover and stop with higher engine revs or keep doing it? Have you checked the tension / tightness of the belt?

Maybe you could pop into one of the local garages or tyre and battery places that advertise free battery and alternator checks. You're not commited to buy there and then should either be diagnosed as faulty. :dk:

You can get just a regulator/brush pack for some alternators instead of a complete new one, if it is faulty.

Last edited:
That suggests two things.

A voltage drop between the alternator main cable and the battery, or a faulty regulator.

Check the security / cleanliness of the earth strap connections?

Hi where is regulater on one of these as tried all the above and still doing it

Should be screwed to the back of the alternator. Usually fairly cheap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom