International rescue

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

My understanding was that the phones recognise the emergency number and send it through any available network. They may also bypass phone locks.

So the statement "Incredibly, U.S. operators put her through to police in the UK" is probably an invention.

In effect dialling 911 on a US phone in the UK is the equivalent of dialling 999 or 112 if everything works properly.

Look, I understand that these are brave people who risk their lives to save others, and they are very skilled at what they do two, but.... 'cliff technician'? Surely there's a better word in the English vocabulary to describe rescue climber?

Look, I understand that these are brave people who risk their lives to save others, and they are very skilled at what they do two, but.... 'cliff technician'? Surely there's a better word in the English vocabulary to describe rescue climber?

Would you have preferred the term, Escarpment savant? :D :bannana: :bannana: :bannana:

Being curious about this, I asked the team (who work with telcos) downstairs how this works...

GSM phones are programmed to recognise 999, 911, 112 and any local market equivalent as "emergency numbers". When one is dialled, the number is not transmitted (as when you dial an ordinary number) but transmits the fact that this is an emergency call which is then priority-routed by the service provider according to local protocols.

Which means that the lady dialling 911 would be routed to the 999 service, and we would be routed to the local emergency service (say, in France) if we dialled 999 rather than the local 112.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom