Internet Detective Required to catch UK Parts Scammer [email protected]

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Back at square one. Punto Auto parts tel number doesnt work.

Does anyone have a dormant ebay account they could use to email the seller and ask if a part he is selling could be collected and if so ask for the address?!

There's a website called 'emailsherlock' that might help. It used to be free, but now, though the search is free, I think you have to subscribe to see the results, and of course, until you see them, you don't know whether they are any use to you.

Time to call it a day.

My dear old Dad always told me you can never con an honest man. Every scam usually involves some degree of compliance from the victim.

In your case dealing outside of eBay to get something cheaper and removing all the protection.

Sending a payment as a "gift" through Paypal as a "Friends & Family" payment. I'm resonably sure this form of transfer also removes any possibility of chargeback as no one has charged your card, you've gifted money from it.

It's a life lesson and a mistake that you won't make again that fortunately wasn't for a life changing sum of money, move on and file it under "experiences".

There's a website called 'emailsherlock' that might help. It used to be free, but now, though the search is free, I think you have to subscribe to see the results, and of course, until you see them, you don't know whether they are any use to you.

That site is a con. claims to have results for criminal issues, divorces and marriages for my email.

All it will really know is the IP address of my email server and nothing else.

Time to call it a day.

My dear old Dad always told me you can never con an honest man. Every scam usually involves some degree of compliance from the victim.

In your case dealing outside of eBay to get something cheaper and removing all the protection.

Sending a payment as a "gift" through Paypal as a "Friends & Family" payment. I'm resonably sure this form of transfer also removes any possibility of chargeback as no one has charged your card, you've gifted money from it.

It's a life lesson and a mistake that you won't make again, move on anf file it under "experiences".

Yoir absolutely right, however its beyond money now and out if principle I'm going to keep going!

Can you not request the address and contact details through ebay? I'm positive there is a way. I seem to remember there being all sorts of warnings and stuff but they could have changed the contact policies since the last time I checked.

Also, just found this........

Here's what we found for "False contact information"

Accurate and up to date contact information helps to protect everyone on eBay. Giving false contact information or refusing to give another user your contact details is against our policies and can result in account suspension.
If you're unable to get accurate contact information from an eBay user, please report this to us.

Last edited:
Can you not request the address and contact details through ebay? I'm positive there is a way. I seem to remember there being all sorts of warnings and stuff but they could have changed the contact policies since the last time I checked.

Can only be used once you have bought something from the seller.

eBay Search: Advanced Search

Spoke at length to both ebay and paypal. As before due to DPA and given i wasn't in contract with the seller neither could furnish the sellers address. Ebay rep suggested my best alternative was to purchase something from the seller via ebay and thus i could then request the sellers address to return the item. I have also had a great conversation with Citizens Advice who are supporting my small claims court action and have also instigated trading standards. Im going to claim for my full loss plus the costs of having to buy the items else where, my various expenses and the court fee. This could add upto around £300! I will let you know how this proceeds. Scott

I would not recommend you make a test purchase to get the address, if it goes to court the seller could then claim that the first transaction must have been good as you made a second purchase.

This was the recommendation by the very helpful ebay rep and was the only way i could get the address and then tie back the paypal payment (which is the same as the funds i previously sent tbe money too). Even after spraking with CA i cant see how else i was going to get the address the send the court documents to.

Spoke at length to both ebay...

Did you ask the ebay guy why this seller wasn't required to be registered as a business seller? He clearly is operating as a business.

Bus. sellers are required to post their address on every listing

Last edited:
Did you ask the ebay guy why this seller wasn't required to be registered as a business seller? He clearly is operating as a business.

Bus. sellers are required to post their address on every listing

No, i never mentioned that nor did the rep prompt that. I will raise that next time im onto them.

Because they're also dodging paying the business listing fees as well as scamming parts?

That site is a con. claims to have results for criminal issues, divorces and marriages for my email.

All it will really know is the IP address of my email server and nothing else.

It was very useful when I was sorting out the true owner of my SL500 a year ago, but I have not used it since. It was free then.

I would not recommend you make a test purchase to get the address, if it goes to court the seller could then claim that the first transaction must have been good as you made a second purchase.

In response to which you produce this email thread. Civil action to recover money is to the civil standard of proof - balance of probabilities. What is the probability that the OP would have created this thread, then bought a small item, just so he could try to recover £120 fraudulently? Quite small, I suggest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom