Introduction

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PobodY

MB Enthusiast
Car
CLK350 Sport
Hello peoples.

I just picked-up my CLK 350 on Saturday, so thought I should register with the club and ask a few questions.

I already realise that my engine falls in the last of the M272 problem lots. - I was hoping a late (56 plate) 2006 car might have been OK. There's no fault showing on my OBDII scanner (yet).

This is the first Mercedes that is actually mine; my dad owned a 1970s 230 compact (W114 possibly) in the late '90s so that was my first exposure to some of the marques quirks (an oil-filled air cleaner comes to mind).

Historically I'm a Nissan man, and I still own a 1990 GTiR (that's on axle stands without an MOT or tax). - However, my wife doesn't like travelling in that (although she doesn't mind so much when she gets to drive it) so we traded-in a Hyundai Amica and bought the CLK. It's a big difference.

Last edited:
I've been looking back through the service history and parts receipts.

What, if anything, do the following tell me?
  • "Connector rod" (suspension part?) installed in 2013.
  • Suspension top-mount bearing installed in 2014
  • Cam shaft adjuster magnet installed in 2014
  • Left anti-roll bar bracket installed in 2015

My reading is that there was some kind of issue with the suspension (probably twated a kerb), and as a result someone has been systematically replacing parts until the problem(s) go away.

Is the cam shaft adjuster magnet likely to indicate that there was a problem normally associated with the later M272 engines? - I was kinda hoping to find a receipt for a new balance shaft drive gear since the engine number is within the wrong number range.

It looks like it's had the ATF fluid replaced at least twice (35k and 53k). The diff oil was checked at 62k (although not refreshed).

Welcome :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom