ipad launch 2012 - where was the rush?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Goldfish11

Car
C220 CDI (09/11 - Facelift) & SLK200
Well today is the big ipad 3 launch date. Completely forgot but was passing PC World Coventry this morning at about 10am saw a poster with an ipad on. I needed an other ipad for work so popped into PCWorld/Currys.

Walked in and there was loads of tapped out lanes with "New Product launch queue". Walked in and there was no queue at the end of this area was 6 chaps all standing around chatting. One said "Can I help you" I said "have you got the new ipad in 3G plus wifi in white and 64GB" They said "we have everything!" Walked to counter and paid for it. In and out in 5 minutes.

It turns out they had to get in early and were expecting people to be queuing from 7am. Apparently there was one person there when the store opened to buy an ipad who sat in car to stay warm and never a queue.

So in summary, Go to PC World, don't bother buying in advance on internet from Apple (as it seems you have to wait 2-3 weeks now) or bothering to queue for 30 hours as some chap did. It would have been quicker to get on the train from London to Coventry buy the thing and go home. Total time about 3 hours, My total lead-time 10 minutes including a detour :D

There was a really long queue outside the Apple shop in Belfast this morning...the staff really hyped it up and made it on to the local TV news.

What is an ipad?

ipad-joke-2.jpg

In London there were students and other people with time on their hands who were being paid to repeatedly queue up all day to snaffle as many iPads as they could muster - all heading for markets in Asia where it's not yet available, so they'll attract a healthy premium.

I walked straight into the Regent Street Apple store without a single person in front of me and bought one in 5 minutes. Sell your Apple shares!!

Still can't make up my mind whether I need one or if the iPad 2 will do the job perfectly well for a big price discount.

Bought one today, PC World, no queue.

Bought one today, PC World, no queue.

Presuming you owned a previous model, did you notice any significant difference? Is the upgrade worth the extra?

I use the original, I see no reason to buy another unless it goes bang

Presuming you owned a previous model, did you notice any significant difference? Is the upgrade worth the extra?

I didn't actually install it yet, but I did take it out of the box. It is definitely bigger and heavier than the iPad2, though not by much. And yes I do have a previous one.. or ten :) it's for work, I don't use one personally.

So you're waiting for them to bring out one that goes bang? :confused::dk:

:p

You can say that on a plane, Sir. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom