iPod in a Mar 2004 E-Class Estate with the standard (Audio 20?) single slot cd player

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gregd

Hi Folks

As per the title of the above post, is this possible? My Merc dealer (Milton Keynes) seems to think the MB official kit will work (at £345 inc VAT fitted) but I'm unclear whether my car has MOST wiring or not. There's a cd changer input but from other threads it's not clear to me whether this can be used. I know there is no aux point in the car though.

Any pointers much appreciated..

Your E-class is MOST based. However, the car needs to have an auxiliary input before you can actually install MB's integrated iPod kit. And the Audio 20s do NOT come with AUX... You need to upgrade to comand first if you want the MB iPod kit to work.

greetingz,

BigSis

Thanks. I'm guessing a COMAND install is big money though! The kit seems to be advertised as hanging off of Audio 20's in some shots I've seen. Is this a newer version of the Audio 20 headunit that is Aux equpped? I imagine that would be cheaper if it's possible to swap mine out for a replacement headunit.. Seeing as my dealer seems to think it's possible to do the work on my car I'm tempted to book it in anyway and let them try and figure it out .. maybe they can swap the headunit under "warranty" :)

Last edited:
BigSis said:
However, the car needs to have an auxiliary input before you can actually install MB's integrated iPod kit. And the Audio 20s do NOT come with AUX... You need to upgrade to comand first if you want the MB iPod kit to work.
Not so although a common misconception due to varied MB information. The head unit needs an aux in - which the Audio 20 has ie at the back of the unit not in glove box. You do not need to upgrade to COMAND. I have audio 20, no COMAND and do have the integration kit in my W203.

Thanks. That's what I was hoping. Unless yours is a newer version of the Audio 20 with better Aux support then it sounds like I'm in business.

I think with MOST the CD changer input is a bespoke connector of some sort, but presumably Mercedes have some sort of adaptor as part of the iPod kit that connects to it.

gregd said:
Thanks. That's what I was hoping. Unless yours is a newer version of the Audio 20 with better Aux support then it sounds like I'm in business.
ah - yes - i think it is the newer one - i think the difference is the firmware - and thus plug and play with the ipod kit.... sorry not too technical

blassberg said:
ah - yes - i think it is the newer one - i think the difference is the firmware - and thus plug and play with the ipod kit.... sorry not too technical

Think you may be right. Hopefully the Firmware is upgradeable. I also gather they need to fool the phone prep into thinking it's enabled to make it work too if you don't have a phone installed.

I don't know much abt the W211, but from what I understand when researching info for my W203, the install for the E class is not as straight forward as it is for the C class. I beieve BigSis is correct that you need to have an aux input retrofitted if the car does not have COMAND. The C class install is simply a removal of a plug from the back of the Audio 20 & replace with the iPod integration unit plug & piggy back the original connector to the harness & not much else other than run the docking connection to the glovebox.

In the E-class there is the added compexity of running a cable from the boot in order to connect into the audiogateway (I believe) and / or fusebox. This takes quite a deal more removal of trim & posts on other boards indicate much longer install times - 5 or more hours.

Looks like a good quote from MB Milton Keynes. However, I would get them to guarantee that price before you commit.

Good luck

C/

The e class is a totally different beast to the C class especially when it comes to the Audio setup. Wanda (BigSis) is really the only info you should actually listen to (well along with Steve her brother) as they do loads of these installs and as she rightly says the only way to do this is to upgrade to a comand.

VBD said:
The e class is a totally different beast to the C class especially when it comes to the Audio setup. Wanda (BigSis) is really the only info you should actually listen to (well along with Steve her brother) as they do loads of these installs and as she rightly says the only way to do this is to upgrade to a comand.

They are the only one's to listen to.

okeydokes...

yep . your right with the audio gateway thing on the w211, same problem with the New SLK R171

As I said in my previous post, I was not sure abt the W211, so I defer to the experts from the Netherlands regarding the need to upgrade from Audio 20 to comand. In any case, the install for the E class is quite a lot more involved than the C class of which I am familiar and the Audio 20 fitted to the C class (2005+) IS compatible with Merc's integration kit & relatively easy to install.

It's a very expensive option just for the luxury to connect the iPod to the car stereo, albeit pretty dang good. Unfortunately Dension have yet to come up with their solution (& I doubt they ever will since Merc have theirs) & the other gizmos such as the i-trip aren't as good.

I have concluded that Merc had in mind that the i-pod generation were more likely to go for a C class with Audio 20 (& hence engineered a solution) rather than the E class with the comand etc which seems to be associated with a different generation who seemed a bit more indifferent to the extra cost of the comand option & were not as enthusiastic about using an iPod. (We have 2, the older one now being 'permanently' connected to the car). However, if you need a little help with navigation, which I don't (usually), then the comand might justify the extra cost.

Given that this technology is still rapidly changing, you may want to wait - I read somewhere that there are plans to update the comand to make use of the video features of the latest iPod, but that could have been speculation.

On the other hand, if Merc Milton Keynes are willing to do the job for £345 inc VAT (guaranteed) then I would take their offer & hold their feet to the fire.

Good luck,

C/

exoil said:
As I said in my previous post, I was not sure abt the W211, so I defer to the experts from the Netherlands regarding the need to upgrade from Audio 20 to comand. In any case, the install for the E class is quite a lot more involved than the C class of which I am familiar and the Audio 20 fitted to the C class (2005+) IS compatible with Merc's integration kit & relatively easy to install.

It's a very expensive option just for the luxury to connect the iPod to the car stereo, albeit pretty dang good. Unfortunately Dension have yet to come up with their solution (& I doubt they ever will since Merc have theirs) & the other gizmos such as the i-trip aren't as good.

I have concluded that Merc had in mind that the i-pod generation were more likely to go for a C class with Audio 20 (& hence engineered a solution) rather than the E class with the comand etc which seems to be associated with a different generation who seemed a bit more indifferent to the extra cost of the comand option & were not as enthusiastic about using an iPod. (We have 2, the older one now being 'permanently' connected to the car). However, if you need a little help with navigation, which I don't (usually), then the comand might justify the extra cost.

Given that this technology is still rapidly changing, you may want to wait - I read somewhere that there are plans to update the comand to make use of the video features of the latest iPod, but that could have been speculation.

On the other hand, if Merc Milton Keynes are willing to do the job for £345 inc VAT (guaranteed) then I would take their offer & hold their feet to the fire.

Good luck,

C/

Many thanks for that, I think you hit the nail on the head on many accounts there.. I may take my chances with the dealer.. A replacement Audio 20 head unit would presumably be compatible so this may be the worst case scenario.

exoil said:

C/

For this very reason I gave up. There is as far as I could find out no easy iPod fix for a non-COMMAND equipped W211 w/o an aux socket in the glovebox (other than the variously useless RF transmitter jobbies.)

Ho hum.

w211 stereo upgrade

hi guys. I want to add a sub and amp to my basic audio 20, non aux input, unit. Can i get the speaker out connection from the audio gateway in the trunk? do i even have a sudio gateway since my stereo is so basic? thanks

Hi Folks

As per the title of the above post, is this possible? My Merc dealer (Milton Keynes) seems to think the MB official kit will work (at £345 inc VAT fitted) but I'm unclear whether my car has MOST wiring or not. There's a cd changer input but from other threads it's not clear to me whether this can be used. I know there is no aux point in the car though.

Any pointers much appreciated..

This thread is rather old now, so here is the current situation.

For pre MY2009 cars ...

Your dealer is wrong. Also, he has quoted you the price as if he was an A/B/C/CLK/ML/GL/R class. - and a good price as-well (rather rarely for MB dealers) - but it wont work !

The E/CLS class Audio-20/Audio-50 has no AUX input, so no way to get MB ipod kit audio into the car. The E class COMAND has to have wires run to back of the car where the Audio Gateway is, so longer to fit and most london dealers seem to charge £500 odd for the privieledge.

The SL has no AUX input whatever you have. SLK is a much more difficult install if you want to put the iPod in the centre armrest where they suggest

In the A/B/C/CLK/ML/GL/R all the wiring just goes to the head unit, so a much quicker install (and they quote 349(if youre lucky & buying car at same time)->449(more often than not when I last checked) depending who they are).

The Dension GW500 will work on E/CLS (and the others) and pretends to be the CD changer, so you get an OK level of control.

All changes for MY2009 audio systems though.

R

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom